Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Finally found a flat cap that I like. (Well, two actually.)

Not all newsboy caps work on me. Especially the eight-panels. I look like I'm wearing a chef's hat in those.

Anyway, I got each of these wool caps for a dollar a piece today at a local thrift shop.

Darker one (It's grey, not bluish like the photo suggests):

DSC_0018.jpg

Lighter one:

DSC_0020.jpg

indycop

I'll Lock Up
HarpPlayerGene said:
Amen to that. I like them with that bent brim action but these just aren't holding the shape. Advice?... [huh]
When I was in the Army and wanted to put that curl in my Patrol cap I would curl the brim and then wrap a rubber band around it and leave it on overnight. (wow long sentence there) Maybe you could wet the brim a little and let it dry but i don't think you would need to. After removing the rubber band it will have a severe curl. Just put it on and give it a minute to relax on it's own before taking some of the curl out.;)
I still do this with my Po Po ball cap. I can only wear it ranger curled...

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Stetson No. 1 Quality

This is a Stetson western lid -- a No. 1 Quality. It has a 3 1/4" brim, which works extremely well when creased "outback" style. The felt is smooth and sturdy -- should make a great outdoors lid.

From the auction:

6b9a_12.jpg

Liner-18.jpg

After creasing:

LProfile.jpg

1QL.jpg

1QCenter.jpg

1Quality2.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
Vintage Knox. Looks like an Open Road right? This was 2 sizes too small but I found it at a thrift store for 20 dollars and took out the sweat band, it squeezes on a lot easier now, I'm still going to attemp to stretch it somehow.

IMG_3834.jpg
[/IMG]
IMG_3839.jpg

IMG_3836.jpg
[/IMG]

Slim Portly

One Too Many
My new Scala Classico "Godfather" Homburg, in grey with black ribbon and edge binding, size medium. This is a very stiff wool felt, and it took three days of wet molding to shape it perfectly to my skull. I actually prefer a shorter crown on a Homburg, but this one, in my estimation, looked good with the suit that I bought it to wear with.

DSC04594-CROP.jpg

DSC04592-CROP.jpg

crease

jimmy the lid said:
This is a Stetson western lid -- a No. 1 Quality. It has a 3 1/4" brim, which works extremely well when creased "outback" style. The felt is smooth and sturdy -- should make a great outdoors lid...
Cheers,
JtL

how were you able to get the back brim to snap down and have the sides look so smooth? I have a campdraft I've been trying to do that to, and I can't get it to look right.

Thanks,

Rob

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
UWS Cowboy said:
Vintage Knox. ... I'm still going to attemp to stretch it somehow.

Get a hat stretcher (sometimes called Hat Jack) in your size and once you've steamed the felt put that in and crank it tight. Do a little more each time 'til you've got what you want. Now that the hat has no sweatband inside :( you'll probably need to be very careful as it will probably stretch fairly easily.

That is a pretty nice example of a Knox clone of the Open Road.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe