Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

rrog

A-List Customer
My new Akubra Stylemaster

My new Akubra Stylemaster, mid-grey, came on Saturday. I was able to break it in at a Christmas party Saturday night. I'm liking it so far. The only thing I would call a down side is that it's awfully similar looking to my Stetson Fargo fedora. I never reallly saw that in the pictures, but when I get them side by side, it's very close.

rrog

100_0244.jpg

TopGumby

One of the Regulars
rrog - I like that color on the Stylemaster. You must wear that Fargo well, too.

kaosharper1 - That looks like it was made for you. I dig your avatar, BTW..."I'd advise yas to keep dailing, Oxmix!"

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
randooch said:
Skyvue: Lookin' sharp! I'll be darned if I can spot a ribbon on that hat. Ribbonless? The overcoat has a comfy look to it, whatever the era.

Thanks!

There is a black ribbon of just over an inch in width. I'd get it replaced with a ribbon in a contrasting color, if I knew where I could get it done here in NYC -- I don't really want to mail it off for that.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
UWS Cowboy said:
Good advice, I'll buy one soon enough. I should have left the sweatband in but I wanted to be able to wear it now. It fits a lot better, about a size bigger, still a size too small. I plan on stretching it then sewing in a new strap of leather.

Here are two other pics. Brim down and brim snapped up.

IMG_3843.jpg

IMG_3844.jpg

That really is a great hat, UWS.

If you have thrift stores in your area, go to them and scout for cheap hats with leather sweatbands inside. If it's your size or larger, you've got the donor part you need, usually for around $4.00.

I've done this bit with crazy ugly hats. I recommend not tearing up any good finds you might make along the way.

:D

rrog

A-List Customer
TopGumby said:
rrog - I like that color on the Stylemaster. You must wear that Fargo well, too.

Thanks TG, I was looking at someone else's post about a carbon grey Fed IV and it looks very similar to the mid-grey Stylemaster (talking about the colors.). I got my Stylemaster from EA and of course, the Fed IV in carbon grey comes from hatsdirect. I'm wondering if they're the same color.

rrog

citRon

A-List Customer
vjr...dude! that long hair beaver is cool! Be prepared to receive the 'pimpin' comment with that one from people! I agree with your decision to wear it with casual attire.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Now I understand what the big deal is about...

...a Knox Tom 'n' Jerry.

Yessir, I scored one cheap on the 'Bay. It's another for the green hat fans of the world. Tremendous felt. I can't get over the feel of it. Pity is that it went a couple rounds with some moths in it's day but although they left some marks, they aren't in the most noticeable places. The ribbon has slight fading and it generally gives off an old vibe, but these imperfections just seem to serve notice that this is an actual vintage hat, and folks seem to get it and have a positive response to it right away.

I wear hats every darned day and usually slide under the radar. I wore this to two places today (pic of it on me in "What Hat...Today?" thread) and people were flippin' left and right. At a restaurant, the hostess seated us at a booth and as I was removing my hat, she dragged a chair over from a nearby table and slid it to the end of our table. "This is for you to place your hat on so it's safe." Now that's some hat respect! :)

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Gene....

They are All That.....and then some. I've been looking and wanting one for a very long time. You bugger, you got the best of both worlds IMO, Knox T & J and it's Green. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

carter

I'll Lock Up
Great Hat !

Gene, I wish there was a bowing/obeisance avatar. That Green Knox T&J is the bee's knees! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

vjramire

New in Town
Knox Custom

Gene, that's definately a sweet Knox T&J.
Viper Man thanks for the suggestion!

My second vintage hat is a Knox Custom with the 'Custom Edge' brim that I got last week for $15 + shipping. Just had a chance to take some snaps here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/9169962@N08/sets/72157611259922839/
Being new, I was wondering where this hat fell into the Knox line up. It looks virtually brand new with no yellowing in the liner or wear on the sweatband. I also found the thinner and slimmer ribbon/knot on the sweatband was a nicer touch than the regular wider ribbon/knot. Was this truly their custom model? If so, do we know what the fur makeup is? The hat feels very nice to the touch!
Thanks again!
Vince

cookie

I'll Lock Up
ScionPI2005 said:
Cool lookin' Knox, Gene! :eusa_clap

How can a Lounger have so much hatred for a fellow Lounger at Christmas time....I sorry... that's not hatred...that's envy...another one of the seven deadly sins...bless me father....:D :D :D :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

panama jack

One of the Regulars
My new Stetson Mallory

Hi everyone,
I would like to share with you a few pictures of my recent e-bay purchase. It a vintage Stetson Mallory. The true color is actually like the center picture. My other hat is a 7 1/2 so I was expecting to have to get this one stretched a bit but I think it fits perfect. I plan on getting it cleaned and re-blocked. I'm not sure what type of bash to give it. Your comments would be appreciated.

Thank you,
pj

ry%3D400
ry%3D400
ry%3D480

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
panama jack said:
Hi everyone,
I would like to share with you a few pictures of my recent e-bay purchase. It a vintage Stetson Mallory. The true color is actually like the center picture. My other hat is a 7 1/2 so I was expecting to have to get this one stretched a bit but I think it fits perfect. I plan on getting it cleaned and re-blocked. I'm not sure what type of bash to give it. Your comments would be appreciated.

Thank you,
pj

ry%3D400
ry%3D400
ry%3D480
Don't see any pics yet? [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe