Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
After a couple of conversations with a on-line seller of an very interesting vtg. fedora check out what arrived on my desk this afternoon.

The conversations spoke to my request of consideration of a price reduction based upon the prevailing market price given size allowing for the true vintage prized offered for sale. We reviewed a couple of historic markers for reference. I did share some of the Lounge members frustration with the general fedora pricing inflation of late. We agreed that the influences of a few on-line sellers, who have taken a higher price model, have been taken as a given. Pleasant exchange, consideration agreed and both of us were pleased with the outcome.

The vtg. Stetson Beachcomer started it's path to my hat wardrobe.

A vtg. stetson Beachcomber. I have seen just a couple posts about this hat early when I joined the Lounge. I have seen the Stetson advertisement, of Feb. 1937, http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/nothing-but-stetson-ads.45495/page-9, posted on the Stetson Ad thread. I believe that a couple of loungers have had hats customed using this hat as an inspiration (I believe David may be one). The ribbon treatment brings a smile to my face.

This late 40's cream colored felt represents a golden age of hat making, IMO. The felt is soft, maliable and medium weight. The felt is luxurious to the touch and has that eye appeal that makes you wish to do the forbidden, reach out and touch someone's hat.

i-69jP9zz-M.jpg

The rich liner and quality sweat just are classy touches.

Ah, but the special feature of the Beachcomber is the unique ribbon. A matching creme pile ribbon with a carmel bottom trim.

i-gn4pRT7-M.jpg

The hat was blocked with a steep, tall block with small taper. The flange is flatter. The swoop to the brim, perhaps giving us the Beachcomber illusion is mostly due to the clean edged medium soft felt draping away from the crown.

i-ZjpJVwG-M.jpg

The hat will undergo a naphtha bath, blocking, steam, brushing and leather conditioning before it sees warmer weather wear. I look forward to being able to wear and contemplate "Beachcomber" under the shady swooping brim.

Best wishes, Eric -

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
After a couple of conversations with a on-line seller of an very interesting vtg. fedora check out what arrived on my desk this afternoon.

The conversations spoke to my request of consideration of a price reduction based upon the prevailing market price given size allowing for the true vintage prized offered for sale. We reviewed a couple of historic markers for reference. I did share some of the Lounge members frustration with the general fedora pricing inflation of late. We agreed that the influences of a few on-line sellers, who have taken a higher price model, have been taken as a given. Pleasant exchange, consideration agreed and both of us were pleased with the outcome.

A vtg. stetson Beachcomber. I have seen just a couple posts about this hat early when I joined the Lounge. I have seen the Stetson advertisements of the 40's, posted on the Stetson Ad thread. I believe that a couple of loungers have had hats customed using this hat as an inspiration (I believe David may be one). The ribbon treatment brings a smile to my face.

This late 40's cream colored felt represents a golden age of hat making, IMO. The felt is soft, maliable and medium weight. The felt is luxurious to the touch and has that eye appeal that makes you wish to do the forbidden, reach out and touch someone's hat.

i-69jP9zz-M.jpg

Ah, but the special feature of the Beachcomber is the unique ribbon. A matching creme pile ribbon with a carmel bottom trim.

i-gn4pRT7-M.jpg

The hat was blocked with a steep, tall block with small taper. The flange is flatter. The swoop to the brim, perhaps giving us the Beachcomber illusion is mostly due to the clean edged medium soft felt draping away from the crown.

i-ZjpJVwG-M.jpg

The hat will undergo a naphtha bath, blocking, steam, brushing and leather conditioning before it sees warmer weather wear. I look forward to being able to wear and contemplate "Beachcomber" under the shady swooping brim.

Best wishes, Eric -

That is phenomenal Eric
Congrats on a rare and beautiful find

That's an off balance 3 pt shot from Steph Curry range right there that hits nothing but net

65 Classic

Practically Family

A vtg. stetson Beachcomber. I have seen just a couple posts about this hat early when I joined the Lounge. I have seen the Stetson advertisements of the 40's, posted on the Stetson Ad thread. I believe that a couple of loungers have had hats customed using this hat as an inspiration (I believe David may be one). The ribbon treatment brings a smile to my face.

i-69jP9zz-M.jpg

i-gn4pRT7-M.jpg

i-ZjpJVwG-M.jpg

Best wishes, Eric -

Excellent treasure find.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
I believe that a couple of loungers have had hats customed using this hat as an inspiration (I believe David may be one). The ribbon treatment brings a smile to my face.

Eric - I love the Beachcomber. You are right, I have a hat that is similar in some respects. I've not worn it for a while so I'll have to find it and share a photo or two.

Mine isn't a Beachcomber, it's just marked as Royal Stetson (maybe DeLuxe) and was previously owned by Josh. It has a pug rather than a ribbon; I think Josh had to replace the original and Optimo in Chicago did the work. I think your Beachcomber has a wider brim, but they both have cool liners.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.

A vtg. stetson Beachcomber. I have seen just a couple posts about this hat early when I joined the Lounge. I have seen the Stetson advertisement, of Feb. 1937, http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/nothing-but-stetson-ads.45495/page-9, posted on the Stetson Ad thread. I believe that a couple of loungers have had hats customed using this hat as an inspiration (I believe David may be one). The ribbon treatment brings a smile to my face.

i-69jP9zz-M.jpg

i-gn4pRT7-M.jpg

i-ZjpJVwG-M.jpg

Best wishes, Eric -

That is a super nice looking hat! I think the pug really works some magic on the overall look on that hat as well. Slight two tone and over all color brings it all to one smooth look. No 7 1/2's LO around?????

RJR

i-69jP9zz-M.jpg

i-gn4pRT7-M.jpg

i-ZjpJVwG-M.jpg

Best wishes, Eric -
That is a beauty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe