Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Hey Major, WAYTOGO!!

I think the retail shop/hatmaking HQ sounds wonderful. I don't envy the actual packing and moving part but once everything's in and you're tweaking a new setup in a nice location that can actually be a pleasure.

All the best,

G

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
majormoore said:
Looking for some great photos of men wearing Fedora's from the golden years, would like to hand around the walls.

Major Moore

How about some photos of your clients wearing your hats? One wall of westerns and one wall of fedoras? That would showcase your own work. Heck, you might even put up family photos of the IC/Deelovely family or other famiiies that share an interest in your hats wearing their Buckaroo hats.

Florida_Marlin

One of the Regulars
Champ #2 in GSM Nat Park

I had just aquired my 2nd Champ Featherweight, in Chocolate Brown, when I was scheduled to go to Tennessee. Here is the hat and me wearing it in Great Smoky Mt. Nat Park. Love those Champ Featherweights! Regards F_M

4290_1.jpg

4aeb_1.jpg

Mountains08163a.jpg

Hoss & da Posse

One of the Regulars
New Stetson

Prior to my discovering the Lounge, a hat was not very complicated...there were baseball caps, cowboy hats (felt or straw) and everything else. As they say, a little education is a dangerous thing...
I saw and really liked the Open Road/Campdrafts so many members of the Lounge wore, but was unsure enough of the look on me that I wouldn't take the plunge; didn't want and can't afford to have a $100 sitting on the shelf going unworn. Anyway, in scouring OFAS, I came across a Stetson "Driving Hat" (the sellers description) in my size and picked it up for $12.00 + shipping.
Stetsonf.jpg

It's Silverbelly in color, has a 3" brim and I've bashed the crown down to just over 4" at the front and a little less than that at the rear. In posting it over on the ebay thread, Dinerman pointed out that it may be from the early 50's and that piqued my curiosity. Other than Harry Holland-Amarillo, TX on the sweat and the model/reorder label under it, there's not much information. If any one can add additional info based on the following pics, I'd surely appreciate it.
Stetsonsw.jpg

1115081025.jpg

1115081025a.jpg

1115081024a.jpg

1115081024b.jpg

1109081658.jpg

The felt is really nice, not too stiff but stays put and its been breakfast for a moth or two, but I like the hat. Not knowing its age or model name won't keep me from wearing it, but would surely make it more enjoyable. Thanks, Hoss

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Hoss & da Posse said:

You did a real nice job with that one, Hoss. Looks great! I've never seen a liner like that one before, but I imagine that Stetson Westerns had their own set of liners distinct from the dress hat line.

Cheers,
JtL

BobC

Florida_Marlin said:
I had just aquired my 2nd Champ Featherweight, in Chocolate Brown, when I was scheduled to go to Tennessee. Here is the hat and me wearing it in Great Smoky Mt. Nat Park. Love those Champ Featherweights! Regards F_M
Mountains08163a.jpg

Very nice, Marlin. You wear it well. And what a beautiful place to wear it. There is no prettier place on earth than the Smokies in the fall.

BobC

Hoss & da Posse said:

Nice find, Hoss. Can't beat the color, the price is sure right, and you look great in it. Can't do better than that. Any chance you'd get Mrs. Hoss in something like that? You'd really make a fine looking couple then.;)

indycop

I'll Lock Up
BobC said:
I'm starting to get the feeling there's a plot going on here to keep Bob in suspense....and it might be working. A few weeks? I'm off this weekend. I might ought to drive to Memphis to pick those hats up.

And I know, Major, those are not ugly hats, sir. I know they aren't.
:whistling shhhhhhhh shakeshead :D

Hoss & da Posse

One of the Regulars
BobC said:
Nice find, Hoss. Can't beat the color, the price is sure right, and you look great in it. Can't do better than that. Any chance you'd get Mrs. Hoss in something like that? You'd really make a fine looking couple then.;)

Thanks, Bob...She has expressed an interest in vintage hats; she was very enthused when my Johnnyphi's arrived. Not so much the hats themselves (she was a little dubious when I popped an open crown on right out in public and everything) but the idea of them being NOS and classic captivated her. She really likes the idea of dressing in vintage style for special events like our Co Christmas party. I'm looking for something along the lines of an Aussie country style hat for her to wear when we're just out and about.

Hoss & da Posse

One of the Regulars
jimmy the lid said:
You did a real nice job with that one, Hoss. Looks great!
Thanks, Jimmy! there's a few guys on this board that really wear their hats well and I really like the way you wear 'em. When I first received my open crown Johnnyphi's, I searched out images of your hats to try and emulate the particular way you bash them. I have not figured out how to smooth out the wrinkles yet in the teardop and wish I could get more "swoop" ala your avatar. But I appreciate you saying so...Hoss

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Thanks for the kind words, Hoss. Feel free to drop me a PM about what you're trying to accomplish on the teardrop and I'll see if I can help you out.

Cheers,
JtL

Florida_Marlin

One of the Regulars
Nice bash on the western!

Hoss,
You really mede that Western look nice. That's a great look for that hat and makes me think of some possibilities for an old wester I have. Regards F_M

Florida_Marlin

One of the Regulars
Thanks

Thanks for the comments guys. I was on a business trip pand took an extra day to drive through the park. It was windy and a littly chilly (for a FL swamper anyway). So, the felt hat sure worked out nicely. Thanks

Hoss & da Posse

One of the Regulars
Florida_Marlin said:
Hoss,
You really mede that Western look nice. That's a great look for that hat and makes me think of some possibilities for an old wester I have. Regards F_M
I appreciate you saying so, but hang out on the lounge for a while and you'll find several conversion threads on the subject. I particularly like getting new life out of something I wouldn't normally wear...kinda like several pairs of pants I own that are just about 10 pounds too small [huh]

Trotsky

A-List Customer
DSCF1447.jpg

My new Dobbs: Dark Blue, I stretched it a bit and I think it fits pretty well! Rapidly becoming may favorite hat.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Hoss & da Posse said:
It's Silverbelly in color, has a 3" brim and I've bashed the crown down to just over 4" at the front and a little less than that at the rear. In posting it over on the ebay thread, Dinerman pointed out that it may be from the early 50's and that piqued my curiosity. Other than Harry Holland-Amarillo, TX on the sweat and the model/reorder label under it, there's not much information. If any one can add additional info based on the following pics, I'd surely appreciate it.

Now that I can see the liner logo, tailored edge stamping and size tag, I'm going to move my date back to early '40s- maybe late '30s.

The deep, clear stamping, the '30s liner logo, and the gold of the size tag all point to that.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82