Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Otateral

Familiar Face
So, I got a Dobbs hat in the mail today, and was looking to overhaul it and give it the TLC it needed. To start, the whole hat was very dusty. Brushed it off and realized that the ribbon was not only very dirty/faded, but also had a few stitches tugged loose. There was also a bad repair job done on the sweatband in the past, so there was 2 seperate sets of stitches holding it on, and both were falling out. The lining was also soiled beyond recovery.

I like the shape and color of the hat, and I'm not really interested in preserving it's ability to resell. I'll be the last owner of this hat, so I figured it was a good chance to try out making it over.

This is a learning exercise. And the first lesson I learned was to make sure I have the correct size ribbon. It's original ribbon was 2" and the only ribbon I had was 1 1/2". I went ahead and put it on anyway, and there is a faint discoloration visible where the old ribbon ended. I may opt to go with the 2" ribbon later, but for now the faded areas don't bother me much. Gives it character, maybe. :)

I then re-attached the sweatband, which wasn't as hard as I thought. But the real hard part was that I decided to make my own lining from scratch. I got some red satin and using the old lining as a guide, created my own. Then... (purists may want to stop reading now) I cut out the Dobbs emblem from the old lining, and hot glued it onto the new lining.

This is my first attempt at this sort of thing. But let me know what you think. And especially your opinion on the mark where the old ribbon was.

dscn2186p.jpg

dscn2184o.jpg

dscn2183w.jpg

dscn2182d.jpg

Last edited:

randooch

I'll Lock Up
I commend your courageous makeover, Otateral. Wear the heck out of it! The fade line makes for the start of a good story, I think, until a 2-incher crosses your path. Liner looks nice!

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
+1. Nice work!

My newly arrived Mansfield duracraft homburg. Made in Canada and sold at L.J. Applegath & son, limited, in Toronto. More pics in the homburg nation thread.

0022copyv.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
RLK and I went to the Weinbrenner outlet store yesterday. Got some Filson Uplander boots and a great hide to make some wallets and belts. Also found a 7 5/8 LO Pilgrim, a block tipper and a Stetson box while antiquing.

B

merrill.jpg

Joshbru3

I'll Lock Up
RLK and I went to the Weinbrenner outlet store yesterday. Got some Filson Uplander boots and a great hide to make some wallets and belts. Also found a 7 5/8 LO Pilgrim, a block tipper and a Stetson box while antiquing.

B

merrill.jpg

Bill, those boots are FANTASTIC!! I really have to get myself a pair like that. That hide looks very nice, I can't wait to see the finished product! Also, great haul at the antique stores! I know its pretty rare to find those tippers.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Bill, those boots are FANTASTIC!! I really have to get myself a pair like that. That hide looks very nice, I can't wait to see the finished product! Also, great haul at the antique stores! I know its pretty rare to find those tippers.

Thanks Josh. Come on up and we'll go to the outlet store. Lots of good boots. Yes, those tippers are hard to find. First one I've ever seen in person.

B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe