Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TipTop

Practically Family
Really neat and unique hats recently, everyone.

Ale-- that Selco looks stellar. Exactly what you were after, minus the trolley of course?

This hat had me intrigued for a long time and I finally gave in after having a positive reaction to my first Champ-- recent lord's hat.

It's a Champ Kasmir finish-- light brown ribbon over dark brown felt (not the subtle tones like buler's recent post). I'd appreciate any advice anyone might have regarding the vintage. Some elements are throwing me for a loop. The felt is suede-ish, and rather heavy. It took a good bit of soaking to get it creased the way I wanted it.
The crown is about 4 5/8" creased, and brim is 2 1/8" overwelt (from the auction photos I thought it might be a Cav edge).
The ribbon is a 2 inch backbow.

018copy.jpg

Champ says: "Feel the Felt" Another Great Madison Avenue word-play!

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Thanks. I felt the felt, and feel that felt is stiffer and heavier than some of my "higher grade" felts, but I think it makes good for everyday wear for me. I think I prefer side bows, but I kind of like the backbow too. [huh]
I thought backbows were only made on older hats, but the 2 1/8" overwelt brim would suggest something more contemporary, right? The "CHAMP" font is also different from the one on my lord's hat.

Stetson Nutria Fur western

1920s era longhair nutria fur with black ribbon and 3 braid horsehair band. 7 inch crown, 3 1/2" unbound curled brim. I will dust it off a bit and post more photos over the weekend.

030212.jpg

TipTop

Practically Family
WOW Alan, that's PURDY! And it looks furry and mint; congrats!

And here's my new Dorer pure beaver with my oculus for you. I want to get a better shot of it outdoors but grabbed this just now to complement your DC shot.

15280035-lg.jpg

jbucklin

Practically Family
Found this vintage Pork Pie at a little shop in Dallas called Curiosities. It was made by Jonathan Cabot of New York. Has anyone heard of this brand? I don't typically go for stingy brims but couldn't pass it up at $24.00. Truthfully, I like Pork
Pies with stingy brims better.
downsized_0302021646.jpg

0302021622.jpg

0302021631.jpg

downsized_0302021631a.jpg

downsized_0302021618.jpg

Last edited:

Kirk H.

One Too Many
Found this vintage Porkpie at a little shop in Dallas called Curiosities. It was made by Jonathan Cabot of New York. Has anyone heard of this brand? I don't typically go for stingy brims but couldn't pass it up at $24.00. Truthfully, I like Porkpies with stingy brims better.
downsized_0302021646.jpg

0302021622.jpg

0302021631.jpg

downsized_0302021631a.jpg

downsized_0302021618.jpg

That is a nice Pork Pie and a great find. I too like the wide brims better but have just ordered a Stetson Saxon and am waiting for it to arrive. A fur felt Pork Pie is on my list to get. I do have a straw Pork Pie with a 2 1/4 inch brim that I like very much.

Kirk H.

jbucklin

Practically Family
My first fur felt hat was a Stetson Saxon. Still have it and won't get rid of it. It has been through a metamorphosis of bashes and reshaped twice with two different hat shapers I bought recently.
downsized_0302021703.jpg

Kirk H.

One Too Many
My first fur felt hat was a Stetson Saxon. Still have it and won't get rid of it. It has been through a metamorphosis of bashes and reshaped twice with two different hat shapers I bought recently.
downsized_0302021703.jpg

Very nice. Is that the Cordova Brown color. One thing I noticed when doing a search for one that several stores had different names for the same color..Dark Brown, Cordova Brown etc.

Kirk

jbucklin

Practically Family
It does look rather brown in that pic doesn't it? It's really "Graphite". Crappy cellphone camera!

Be sure and post pics of your new Saxon once it arrives.

Last edited:

TipTop

Practically Family
Butch Dorer, Quemado, NM for M.L.Leddy, Ft. Worth, 1997, Pure Beaver. The hat is in excellent condition, stiff as a board, but could use some trimming of the sails-cum-flying-nun. Gorgeous lining and sweatband, sterling buckle set on self band. This will be on the manifest for Montana in May.
15280612-lg.jpg

Last edited:

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Butch Dorer, Quemado, NM for M.L.Leddy, Ft. Worth, 1997, Pure Beaver. The hat is in excellent condition, stiff as a board, but could use some trimming of the sails-cum-flying-nun. Gorgeous lining and sweatband, sterling buckle set on self band. This will be on the manifest for Montana in May.
15280612-lg.jpg

Great looking hat. How wide is that brim?
Johnny.

DNO

One Too Many
Found this weary looking Knox custom at a thrift shop yesterday. Early '60's I suspect.

knoxprefix.png

Knoxinside.png

Wore it today after a bit of brushing, cleaning and steaming.

Knoxon.png

Really interesting colour. In some light it looks brownish, in others it looks grey with a bit of a purple/pink tint. This could become my favourite. Fits well with only one little moth nip on the underside of the brim. A really lucky find.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe