Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
jwalls-- you always show such creative stuff! It's great to read the accolades other loungers have given your hats recently, as well. Good work! I still have that natural top hat in the back of my mind, but unfortunately I think that might be quite awhile down the road.

Meanwhile, I'm giving this new Lee Blue Label Black Homburg a spin. Arrived this morning.

021copyf.jpg

It completes my Homburg trio... for now... more pics in the Homburg Nation thread.

019copyt.jpg

(Lee Blue, Belamey brown, Lee Silver. The St. Regis had to be left out of this photo because... well the dimensions are different-- it's still for sale if anyone's interested.)

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I won this hat over a month ago, but made the mistake of forgetting to change my shipping address. It arrived at the dorms, which were closed, over the course of the Winter break. Now I finally have in my hands, and I'm quite satisfied.

It's an old hat from some shop called Sydney's Toggery. Other than that, I know absolutely nothing about its age or origin. I may have to get a new sweatband eventually, but other than a few small stains and one moth divot, it's in excellent condition.

SydneysToggery5.jpg

SydneysToggery4.jpg

SydneysToggery7.jpg

SydneysToggery3.jpg

SydneysToggery2.jpg

SydneysToggery8.jpg

I decided to try on my new Scully 503 leather vest and see how it looked.

SydneysToggery1.jpg

SydneysToggery6.jpg

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
I hate to sound so bitter & I have accepted the situation but really Gents, if we were to trade places wouldn't it get old at some point?

I don't think you sound bitter, Art. What you say is true. And know that all of us here know that you came up with that design. Your colleagues should at least credit you when they use your designs.

Last edited:

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Meanwhile, I'm giving this new Lee Blue Label Black Homburg a spin. Arrived this morning.

It completes my Homburg trio... for now... more pics in the Homburg Nation thread.

Nice proportions on that one, Jeff. I see that your signature beard is almost there, huh?

Iyor

One of the Regulars
004.JPG
003.JPG

I finished this hat today. Lightweight aged beaver / nutria blend body, moss green, 2-5/8" brim, 6" tall block, creased to 5-1/2"
001.JPG

John, your hats as always look great, and those aged bodies are also very good. I can say without hesitation that the hat I have from you is my best.

DRB

One Too Many
Hey Art, If Gary was here now I am sure he would give you credit for the first one, as I put him up to it, but with a different color scheme. I am referring to the chevrons. Gary has been using chevrons for some time, I just asked him to change a few things with his chevrons because I admired one of your bow designs (I think it was one of Jimmy's hats).

It is an honor to you that others like your work so much that they want something similar. Gary made what I wanted him to do and did a wonderful job... but the second hat was all his idea, in fact, he gave the hat to me free as a gift.

Below is the chevrons he often uses. Not sure, but they may be HIS own creation. Gary has a book of ribbons to choose from for his customers. I chose something different. I chose one of your beautiful ribbons, but with different colors, without regard for your feelings. For that I really am truly sorry if I offended you. I chose to add your beautiful art to another piece of art to make something new. I was not devoid of any creativity when it comes to bows. I admired the style, so I used it.

When I was a drill sergeant, I developed a way of training that the other DS' had not thought of. They started using it too. I was pleased to have helped the advancement of learning. As a result of my efforts, I was allowed to serve two tours as a DS. Very rarely is anyone allowed to serve more than one tour. If you are good, people will notice.
Nov232010BrownGaryWhiteBeaverCavanaghedge17-1.jpg

Currently I am trying to paint a painting exactly like a well know famous painter because I admire his work and want to learn how he did his blending of colors. The only way to learn to paint in his style is to repeat that which was already learned by him. I mean him no disrespect. Just the opposite. Does that mean that only he can blend colors the way he does? I say no. Should the first person to use a sweatband in a hat be the only one to use one? Are we all guilty of stealing his idea?

My time on this earth is very dear to me and when I take the time to learn the ways of the great artists, they should be honored. When young artists are painting the statue of David in school, they are not stealing an idea. They are paying tribute to the artist and adding beauty to the world, which is an admirable trait. Taking a little lesson from each artist and designing their own art. Gary used your ribbon design (he didn't know it at the time), but the hat was still his creation.

I find it very disheartening when a hatter, plumber, musician, or physician, will not share their knowledge and skill with their peers that want to learn a better way. Perhaps learning to be a hatter has to be a study in solitude. I believe we should all share our experience and knowledge. I know many, but not all, hatters had to learn on their own through much trial and error, just as I, myself, am now doing. I only make hats as a hobby because I like the science of it and because my brain injury from the war still allows me to do so.

It doesn't have to be that way. If we are good at what we do, people will know. The cream always comes to the top.

My sister wanted me to make her a fedora with a black ribbon. I added a black and red stripe in the middle of the ribbon as a surprise for her because it was our high school colors. For me to WANT to do that but NOT to do it because someone else had already done it, would be considered neurotic behavior on my part. I also put a sweatband and liner in it. These original ideas were not mine but I used them anyway in an attempt to embellish my gift to her.
If I am wrong-minded about this, please correct me as I am always striving to learn from the meistro's of the world.

Getting back to the topic of this thread "Post new hats here"... I proudly share with my friends this, a hat that my sister requested, in the color bone, 100% Beaver, with a black ribbon:

AbonecolorpurebeaverfedorathatImadeformysister4.jpg

AbonecolorpurebeaverfedorathatImadeformysister3.jpg

AbonecolorpurebeaverfedorathatImadeformysister2.jpg

AbonecolorpurebeaverfedorathatImadeformysister1.jpg

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Nice proportions on that one, Jeff. I see that your signature beard is almost there, huh?
Thanks Ale! I'm really happy with this one too. I'll reiterate what many, many others have said before me: if it weren't for this lounge, I'd never in a million years know how and what to look for in a hat, especially vintage. Thanks again, to everyone's helpful and forthcoming fountains of information around here!

My "signature" beard has at least a few more months before the chin gets to "signature" length! lol

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
DRB that is awesome my friend! I would love one day to learn how to make my own hats because it holds such a aura to me. To be able to handcraft something that can be so beautiful would be so rewarding. Right now I have to be satisfied with finding old clunkers and restoring them to the best of my ability which is still quite rewarding. I applaud your work and encourage you to keep it up!

Chepstow

I'll Lock Up
jwalls-- you always show such creative stuff! It's great to read the accolades other loungers have given your hats recently, as well. Good work! I still have that natural top hat in the back of my mind, but unfortunately I think that might be quite awhile down the road.

Wow, he looks great, Jeff.

I won this hat over a month ago, but made the mistake of forgetting to change my shipping address. It arrived at the dorms, which were closed, over the course of the Winter break. Now I finally have in my hands, and I'm quite satisfied.

Thats a great find, Alex. Looks fantastic.

Hey Art, If Gary was here now I am sure he would give you credit for the first one, as I put him up to it, but with a different color scheme. I am referring to the chevrons. Gary has been using chevrons for some time, I just asked him to change a few things with his chevrons because I admired one of your bow designs (I think it was one of Jimmy's hats).

Dennis, this one is a beauty.

DRB

One Too Many
Historyteach24: If you get the fedora bug and don't get treatment for it, you just might find yourself making your own hats when you retire and have the time. You are right, handcrafting something that you dearly love is indeed quite rewarding. Thank you for your words of encouragement. I am no expert at making hats. I have a long way to go, but I will be glad to share my past failures and successes with you. I still need to improve my pouncing technique so that I can make a hat as smooth as Art and also improve my brim bindings so that they are as crisp as John's.

John, every hat you produce and share with us, we drink in it's years of knowledge. Thanks for sharing your work with us. You too Art!

Manfred: Thank you Sir!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe