Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
I fear the brim may be a little wide for your face. You could probably use a fedora with a higher crown, too. Go 1/4 or maybe even 1/2 inch shorter in the brim and probably 1 1/2 higher in the crown and i think the proportions would suit you better.

I am cursed with highland genes (i.e. shortarse 5' 2") and started out wearing hats with brims that were too wide. I find that 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 brim and 5 to 5 1/2 crown are great dimensions.

bk

charlie farley

One of the Regulars
Baron Kurtz said:
I fear the brim may be a little wide for your face. You could probably use a fedora with a higher crown, too. Go 1/4 or maybe even 1/2 inch shorter in the brim and probably 1 1/2 higher in the crown and i think the proportions would suit you better.

I am cursed with highland genes (i.e. shortarse 5' 2") and started out wearing hats with brims that were too wide. I find that 2 1/4 to 2 1/2 brim and 5 to 5 1/2 crown are great dimensions.

bk

I really should have gone for the other hat called the Knightsbridge it had a 2 1/2 brim but I liked the finish on this one on the Hornets hats site. I have seen guys with very wide brims in some films so I suppose it's just a matter of taste although I agree about the higher crown though.Oh well, I need a grey a brown and a Panama so I'll get it right next time.My wife loves it though.
A 21/2 brim & a 51/2 crown sounds about right,I agree.

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
Baron Kurtz said:

Same here at 5' 8" and sixpence. Of, course, face or hat size don't have to be proportional to one's height.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Whether it's your ideal dimensions, or not, you don't want to get rid of that hat. It looks good, and it can look good on you. Try wearing it at different angles (cocked to one side, pushed back a bit, whatever you can think of). Look at yourself from every angle you can see, in the mirror. Then take a few photos of you in the hat, from several different angles. There is a way to wear that hat, which will look great on you! :)

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Not sure how this one lasted 14 hours

I've not been buying much lately, but when I saw this auction for a Champ Featherweight with a low BIN that included shipping I couldn't pass it up! I was amazed it had lasted 14 hours without being snapped up.

Photos make it look tan, text says light grey. I guess I'll find out when I get it!

Cheers,
Tom

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I posted this new hat over at the Johnnyphi Hat Club, but I thought I'd put up a couple of pics here too. I can think of no word but AMAZING for this hat. I dry bashed it to a diamond and it was so soft I just couldn't believe it. WOW!

IMG_0255.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg

It's a Royal Stetson, my first Stetson, and I am thrilled to have it. It's older than I am, and it looks better than I do. :) :)

Thank you, John.

BobC

GWD said:
Awesome Hat John! First Stetson? Wow! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

This is my first Stetson, GWD, and it is a fine one. The felt is so soft and the brim has a sharp snap to it.

BobC

Thanks, IBP. I'm really enjoying the Stetson. I haven't worn it outside because it's hotter than blazes here now, but I'm having a great time bashing and rebashing it. I'm amazed at how easy it is to work with, and I really like the idea of having this little piece of history.

I saw your Art Fawcett stratoliner clone on another thread, and I must tell you I really like it. I have one of Art's conformers at my house now, and I'm debating with myself over color. I'm pretty sure I want Art to make me a sportaire-like hat for my first go round, but one of those stratoliner clones might be next in line. There I said it...just like everyone else. I don't have my first work of Art yet, but I'm already planning my second! Let's not say anything to my wife, ok? ;) ;)

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
BobC said:
I posted this new hat over at the Johnnyphi Hat Club, but I thought I'd put up a couple of pics here too. I can think of no word but AMAZING for this hat. I dry bashed it to a diamond and it was so soft I just couldn't believe it. WOW!

IMG_0255.jpg

IMG_0257.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg

IMG_0271.jpg

It's a Royal Stetson, my first Stetson, and I am thrilled to have it. It's older than I am, and it looks better than I do. :) :)

Thank you, John.

Great job on a wonderful hat. I love the deep diamond bash. :eusa_clap I am curious about the open crown height on that one?[huh]

BobC

handlebar bart said:
Great job on a wonderful hat. I love the deep diamond bash. :eusa_clap I am curious about the open crown height on that one?[huh]

Bart, I measured the crown at 6 inches. I love the high crown because I can put a deep crease in it and it will still stay off my head. Today, I put a center dent in it and it looked very cool...had a bit of reverse taper to it with that dent. I believe I like the diamond crease though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe