Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Kaonashi

Familiar Face
SDC10597.jpg

I really like that... very nice looking on you!!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Scott Wood

Practically Family
A small problem...

I today received a Dobbs Mahoney in Coffee colour and really a nice hat.
It is setting with bean bags to reset the brim as it was a bit bent, photos will go up when all is on the level.
The problem I have is that it is marked a regular oval and the sweat is sooooo stiff that it presses front and back and doesn't touch the sides :(
Any suggestions on softening things enough to get it to relax on the head?
I have never run into one as stubborn :cry:

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Kaonashi said:
SDC10597.jpg

I really like that... very nice looking on you!!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thanks Kaonashi,
It's an Australian size 7 which is equivalent to a US 7 1/8, so at the moment it's in the hat stretcher to bring it up a size to US 7 1/4. After that, I'll suit up and post some noggin shots of my stingy Whippet.

Lloyd

A-List Customer
Stunning, beautiful, wonderful and so on and so forth....
I've always been a fan of the reddish browns and rusts for my hats and this is perfect. Really dressy without being black. Not that I have anything against black mind you :)
My girlfriend says it's the best colored hat in my collection.
More pics in the Hall of Fame if you want to see them
Here's one in sunlight. It definitely shows the color difference between light and shadow
VSOxbloodApril2010portraitbestcolor.jpg

Lloyd said:
Hot off the block and in my possession for less than an hour
VSOxbloodApril2010portraitbestportr.jpg

Wow what a beauty! The ox-blood felt and ribbon / bow color combo are fantastic! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Lloyd

A-List Customer
St.Ignatz said:
Lloyd that profile shot of you in your oxblood really shows the almost velour finish of Art's felt. It looks like you could stick your index finger in up to the second knuckle.
Tom D.

yes, Art's standard finish is pretty much a suede and this one feels a little deeper than that. My next Work for Art WILL be a long hair. I almost had this one done with a long haired finish.

Ande1964

Practically Family
Light Gray Open Road Deluxe

It literally took me years, but I finally own a genuine Open Road. I've wanted one since first getting into hats and finding out Truman wore one. Somehow, I've never been able to land one until now. I always thought I'd get a silverbelly, but I already own a Knox clone and a non-OR Stetson in that color, as well as an Adam Strat clone in light brown. When this light gray popped up, I threw down a pretty hefty bid. Ended up getting it for $200. Sold my Stetson Twenty-Five for the exact same price, and I'm thrilled with the swap.

The hat was shapeless when I got it. I cleaned it with Coleman fuel and dunked it in water before stretching it out a bit to fit my long oval head. It fist very nicely now. It's a pretty light hat. The color shifts in different lights... should be very versatile.

I think it dates to mid to late fifties. I thought I had seen this Deluxe liner here before, but a search didn't find it for me.

I'm really happy with the crease. One of my better efforts, I think (he said, humbly).

Perfect for a sunny Kansas spring day.

Anj

grayOR.jpg

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Ande1964 said:
It literally took me years, but I finally own a genuine Open Road.....I think it dates to mid to late fifties. I thought I had seen this Deluxe liner here before, but a search didn't find it for me.

Fantastic OR, Anj -- congrats! :eusa_clap

Here's the post you may be thinking of...

jimmy the lid said:
Well, we may be able to fine-tune the guessing on when this liner was in use. The original Stetson size tag was tucked under the back of the sweat. Price -- $12.95. I know that Royal DeLuxe Stetsons were priced at $12.50 until sometime into the 50's. At some point in the 50's, though, Stetson's prices increased. Wish I could pinpoint the year, as that information would actually be helpful in dating all kinds of lids. Anyway, based on this new information, I would guess that this liner dates from the mid to late 50's.

Incidentally, the color on this OR is beautiful -- definitely in that family of Stetson blue/gray tones. The purple liner really complements it nicely...

PurpleORLining.jpg

As far as dating your own lid, Anj -- is that an oil silk protector on the liner? Hard to tell from the photos.

Cheers,
JtL

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Ande1964 said:
... When this light gray popped up, I threw down a pretty hefty bid. Ended up getting it for $200. ...

Light grey you say
but certainly not posse

I'm drowning in a sea of blues and greens and pinks and silvers. And that's without turning it over!

Man, how much color can you get out of boring old light grey hat?

What a gem! :eusa_clap

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
mayserwegener said:
Wow what a beauty! The ox-blood felt and ribbon / bow color combo are fantastic! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

yep, great hat design and great color, AND it looks great on you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe