Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

deenis

Familiar Face
Now that's not something you see everyday. Very nice.
borsalino-logo.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Beautiful Royal Stetson. I really like the interesting felt and dimensions and brim stitching.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
thunderw21 said:
Royal Stetson with a 5" crown and 2 1/8" brim!

Very cool lid! A lot of similarity to the Borsalino posted by Douglas today. Very similar triple-stitch brim treatment -- the Stetson has a tad more substantial crown self-felt ribbon, but very similar in terms of composition and style.

Cheers,
JtL

ScionPI2005

Call Me a Cab
Aureliano said:
Thank you, Scion.

The Havana, on the W &W website is the Montecristi "version" which they sell in a variety of weave count qualities. Mine is the one called New Hampton.
http://www.hatshop.com/site/showItem.php?Inv_ID=28

Oh I see now...thanks for clarifying Aureliano. My eyes bugged a little at the cost of the "montecristi" versions, but I may be able to do a better job justifying one of the others. I definitely like the "New Hampton", but also liking the looks of the "Palermo", "Cuenca Diamante", or maybe even the "Brighton".

EDIT: I don't see the brim size for the "New Hampton" listed on their website, could you provide the brim size of yours Aureliano? Thanks!

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Mr Tutt's $26 genuine vintage Stetson Whippet

I mentioned on the eBay thread that I scored a genuine vintage Stetson Whippet for the princely sum of AUS$26.

And with the atmospheric and completely insane prices that Whippets have been going for lately, I felt a bit chuffed at my pick-up.

Even though it's not the Whippet we're all used to.

This is a charcoal grey Stetson Whippet made under licence in Australia and sold by top-end retailer David Jones sometime back in the 60's.

And it's a stingy!

StetsonWhippet4.jpg
StetsonWhippet2Liner.jpg
SDC10595.jpg
SDC10597.jpg

Now why would Stetson use their iconic name for a completely different style of hat??? (Incidently, Akubra - which made Aussie Stetsons under licence - still makes a Whippet in a similar stingy style).

So there you go - another one to add to the FL Whippet stable.
It's not even my size ...but it was worth $26 just to be able to boast I picked up a genuine Whippet for that price!

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Tooch said:
The Stetson Stratoliner arrived with a dry crease added by the vendor that popped right out. As far as I can tell, it might never have been worn.

IMG_0989.jpg

Love the Stratoliner, Tooch. Very nice crease work. Thin ribbons rule!

Mr. Paladin

Aureliano said:
I just got this Panama from Worth & Worth. I already own a couple of straws from them--An optimo and a Diamante. Pics in the panama canal thread--and I call them my "quasi-Montecristi".
Quasi because even though they are not Montecristi (and aren't sold as such by them) they are extremely fine woven. Tight and even amazing hats. Take a look at my newest.

DSC04758.jpg

That one is really nice, Aureliano. I'm not normally keen on straws but that one has definite class! Going to show us a shot wearing it?

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
ScionPI2005 said:
Oh I see now...thanks for clarifying Aureliano. My eyes bugged a little at the cost of the "montecristi" versions, but I may be able to do a better job justifying one of the others. I definitely like the "New Hampton", but also liking the looks of the "Palermo", "Cuenca Diamante", or maybe even the "Brighton".

EDIT: I don't see the brim size for the "New Hampton" listed on their website, could you provide the brim size of yours Aureliano? Thanks!

And I believe that the Montecristi on the website are their less expensive ones. I saw some very fine hats in the shop at higher prices. The brim of my New Hampton measures 2 1/2 inches. I saw the Palermo and loved the brim treatment, the brim though is too short for my taste. They can customize any hat for you BTW.
I also own their Cuenca Diamante and the Optimo I just posted pictures of those in the panama canal thread.

Tooch

One of the Regulars
I don't know, the one in your Avatar looks pretty good as well.

Thanks! That's my Resistol Outlook -- it's one of my "city" hats that seem to suit me best on urban trips. I got some nice comments on it recently when I spent a week in LA.

daizawaguy

Call Me a Cab
Ephraim Tutt said:
I mentioned on the eBay thread that I scored a genuine vintage Stetson Whippet for the princely sum of AUS$26.

And with the atmospheric and completely insane prices that Whippets have been going for lately, I felt a bit chuffed at my pick-up.

Even though it's not the Whippet we're all used to.

This is a charcoal grey Stetson Whippet made under licence in Australia and sold by top-end retailer David Jones sometime back in the 60's.

And it's a stingy!

StetsonWhippet4.jpg
StetsonWhippet2Liner.jpg
SDC10595.jpg
SDC10597.jpg

Now why would Stetson use their iconic name for a completely different style of hat??? (Incidently, Akubra - which made Aussie Stetsons under licence - still makes a Whippet in a similar stingy style).

So there you go - another one to add to the FL Whippet stable.
It's not even my size ...but it was worth $26 just to be able to boast I picked up a genuine Whippet for that price!

Very similar to the modern Akubra Whippet...nice descendant

Aureliano said:
And I believe that the Montecristi on the website are their less expensive ones. I saw some very fine hats in the shop at higher prices. The brim of my New Hampton measures 2 1/2 inches. I saw the Palermo and loved the brim treatment, the brim though is too short for my taste. They can customize any hat for you BTW.
I also own their Cuenca Diamante and the Optimo I just posted pictures of those in the panama canal thread.

Saw them on the Panama Canal thread. Beautiful panamas all! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

CRH

Call Me a Cab
daizawaguy said:
Very similar to the modern Akubra Whippet...nice descendant

Very interesting, indeed. So much for Whippetesque, or Whippety!

Very cool revolutionary (evolutionary?) look you have going on there, Mr. Tutt. :D

SDC10597.jpg

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
CRH said:
Very interesting, indeed. So much for Whippetesque, or Whippety!

Very cool revolutionary (evolutionary?) look you have going on there, Mr. Tutt. :D

SDC10597.jpg

Yep Craig,
Makes me think we need a thread called "the Stingy Revolution" for all the short-brim lovers.

Mr. Paladin

I received the Dobbs in the OR style on Monday. The 2 1/8" brim just did not suit brim up wear and I hate cattleman creased hats brim down on me, so I decided to recrease it in a fedora style. The felt was not too stiff at all and this is the finished product. As is common with re-creasing cattlemans creases, there are some faint dirt trail lines where the old crease was. Gentle applications of a white rubber sponge and an orange sponge are making headway and I think eventually the lines will be almost imperceptible. My only hang-up is still the short brim. I'm having a hard time getting over the 2 1/8" brim, I think it looks too modern!

DobbsRe-crease001.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe