Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chinaski

One Too Many
Blackthorn said:
Is here:

IMG_4423.jpg

Blackthorn, what a nice hat - Art did you up good! Will you customize at all? It looks like Bogey had a tighter pinch and the side pinches extended further back than yours. Also, when you order from Art do you measure your head? How's the fit? Again, nice hat...

CRH

Call Me a Cab
Lefty said:
When it rains in this thread, it really pours. Great hats. :eusa_clap

No kidding. Good thing I came prepared *.

big-toilet-paper.jpg

I'll also put in a request for head shots.

RLK, I'll be happy model one since you can't possibly have time for them all. ;) :eusa_clap

* the Wilderness trekkers dream

Warbaby

One Too Many
Found this at the thrift store today for five bucks. Not quite a porkpie, not quite a stingy brim, but somewhere inbetween - and with the bow in the back. It's not my usual style, but it fit perfectly and for the price, I couldn't pass it up. After wearing it around the house this afternoon though, it's starting to grow on me. It's one of the most comfortable hats I've ever worn, and with the brim up all around, it's got a kind of goofy attitude about it that I really like.

PorkyHat1.jpg

It's not actually as tan as it appears in these photos - the color is more accurate in the shots of me wearing it.

PorkyHat2.jpg

PorkyHat3.jpg

PorkyHat4.jpg

PorkyHat5.jpg

The brim jury is still out on to snap or not to snap, but I think I'm leaning toward the brim up attitude...

PorkyHatR13d.jpg

PorkyHatR24u.jpg

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
theinterchange said:
Thanks, Mr. Paladin! I like it, and need to get an on head shot.

Switching gears a little, I just opened a box put on my doorstep by a man in a brown uniform. A Stetson Open Road

IMG_1292.jpg

Randy

Hey Randy, that has potential! A little steam, a good brushing, and it should be a nice specimen. Just flip that brim up all around like nature intended, and sport it with gusto! I am not as taken with the 60's ORs as with earlier ones or very new ones; it seems to me the quality was a bit weak then, so it should make a great all-around, all-weather hat, not to be babied, just enjoyed. I have one of a similar or slightly newer age and its just fine.

Mr. Lucky

One Too Many
Warbaby said:
Found this at the thrift store today for five bucks. Not quite a porkpie, not quite a stingy brim, but somewhere inbetween - and with the bow in the back. It's not my usual style, but it fit perfectly and for the price, I couldn't pass it up. After wearing it around the house this afternoon though, it's starting to grow on me. It's one of the most comfortable hats I've ever worn, and with the brim up all around, it's got a kind of goofy attitude about it that I really like.

PorkyHat1.jpg

It's not actually as tan as it appears in these photos - the color is more accurate in the shots of me wearing it.

The brim jury is still out on to snap or not to snap, but I think I'm leaning toward the brim up attitude...

PorkyHatR24u.jpg
I gotta go with brim UP too! Especially with that sweater or a leather jacket or something casual. After LOTS of experimenting - brim up, brim down, stingy, not-stingy, etc. - I've discovered that it all depends on my mood and that hat that reflects it! That hat reflects...cool.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Dating French Hat Lot

International News: Detroit Race Riots June 20-22,1943 and Coal Miners Strike ended.
4382471946_aa3c5245b6_b.jpg

War time hats?

carldelo

One Too Many
Warbaby said:

I love everything about that hat - brim looks good both ways, so: night time - brim up, day time - snap it down. I'm jealous of that one.
Oh, and you probably need to take up being a Jazz musician.

Mr E Train

One Too Many
That's a great find, Warbaby! I'd consider that a pork pie, just the pinch front variety like Popeye Doyle would wear. Brim up is the way I'd wear it, but it looks great with the brim down too. Brim up just gives it that pork pie "attitude."

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
theinterchange said:
I was thinking this hat was really late 50's for some reason. Either way, it's in good shape, the only issue is the cap on the liner is torn, and the sweat's been, well sweated in.

Randy

To be fair, I think if someone threw out 1959 to 1964 as a potential timeframe for your OR, I don't think that be off-target at all. ;)

Enjoy your OR! :)

Cheers,
JtL

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Mr. Paladin said:
rlk and Scott--Hats of age and distinction! Well done in acquiring them. :eusa_clap

Thanks Mr. P - not much interest in these things on the lounge, which I guess explains why I'm picking them up fairly cheap. I wore this one today as a 'homdorapie' - very fun '20s look.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Chinaski said:
Blackthorn, what a nice hat - Art did you up good! Will you customize at all? It looks like Bogey had a tighter pinch and the side pinches extended further back than yours. Also, when you order from Art do you measure your head? How's the fit? Again, nice hat...
Thank you, Chinaski. I'm taking the customization slowly. You're right about the tighter pinch and side pinches. I'm giving myself time to think it all over before making any changes.

As to the fit, it's exactly the way I ordered it...I asked for it an eighth of an inch larger than what I wear, and that's what he gave me. I've already ordered another one, and this time I'm going with the exact right measurement. You do indeed measure your head for these orders, and he also has a "conformer" that he sends you so he makes sure to get the right shape of your head. Man oh man, he does great work, very exact.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Big-time thanks to all of you for the positive comments on my new hat find. I've always seen myself as a snap brim kind of guy and have never worn a hat with a narrow brim turned up all around, but there's something about this hat that really has me hooked. Maybe it's because it makes me feel like I could pass for a sax player...

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
Warbaby said:
Big-time thanks to all of you for the positive comments on my new hat find. I've always seen myself as a snap brim kind of guy and have never worn a hat with a narrow brim turned up all around, but there's something about this hat that really has me hooked. Maybe it's because it makes me feel like I could pass for a sax player...

It really is a great look for you, but I would go with the clarinet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe