Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.
jimmy the lid said:
This Disney recently arrived, and I finally had the chance to give it a good brushing and crease it today. More in the Disney Diner thread...

Disney-3.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Looks fantastic in this thread too! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

rlk

I'll Lock Up
mayserwegener said:
Definitely a beautiful velour finish. TONAK made?

I feel your pain regarding the size mishap. Happened to me (again) with a very nice Böhm that arrived yesterday.
Insufficient information to tell if it was before or after WWII, but I'll bet it came from the Hückel/Tonak factory. I haven't seen 2"+ silk sweatbands to compare it and the script writing belongs to no particular era.

Brent Hutto

One of the Regulars
jimmy the lid said:
But, I assume that, by sharing all of this with us, you are also seeking some ideas from the rest of us. I think gtdean makes a good point -- lowering the back of the crown will help to give some rake to the profile, which will also lessen the "block" effect that you are intending to get rid of. Keeping the height at the back of the hat actually increases the block effect. You're right -- when you lower the crown in back, in can cause the top of the crown to sit on the top of your head. That is one of the reasons I need to elevate the crown somehow, either through the teardrop crease, or the modified center dent ("modified" to elevate the center portion of the dent so that it doesn't sit directly on the ol' noggin'). ;)

I was definitely seeking ideas. It's all going to come down to either getting a teardrop or similar "bump" directly over the high point of my head or learning to live with the hat's liner touching my head.

A teardrop that will hold in that thin Borsalino felt is currently beyond my abilities and probably needs me to practice a good bit using plenty of steam on something other than a $200+ hat.

It's a bit frustrating. I went with the tallest crown I thought I could wear yet with most types of crease it still touches. The one good point is that the Borsalino's soft, lightweight (maybe silk?) liner does not get clammy and stick to my head like that plastic liner-guard thingy in my Christy's Marlborough (plastic liner-guards and bald heads seem to be incompatible). So maybe it's best to just let the crown of my noggin touch the liner.

rlk said:
Insufficient information to tell if it was before or after WWII, but I'll bet it came from the Hückel/Tonak factory. I haven't seen 2"+ silk sweatbands to compare it and the script writing belongs to no particular era.

If it is pre WWII then most likely Hückel. Also Peschel or Brüder Böhm but I haven't seen either from that era (sure would like to find some). Great find!

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Brent Hutto said:
IIt's all going to come down to either getting a teardrop or similar "bump" directly over the high point of my head or learning to live with the hat's liner touching my head.

A teardrop that will hold in that thin Borsalino felt is currently beyond my abilities and probably needs me to practice a good bit using plenty of steam on something other than a $200+ hat.

I know exactly where you're coming from, Brent. One other approach might be to put a diamond crease in your Borso, which is fairly easy to accomplish. Then, lightly steam the crown and drag a knuckle from underneath the length of the crown, and across the crown between the points in the diamond. That will help to elevate things without going the full teardrop route. Looks like this:

Stetsonian2.jpg

As you say, however, the lightness of the Borso felt, coupled with the nature of the liner (no plastic) makes the prospect of the hat touching the top of your noggin relatively tolerable. Good luck!

Cheers,
JtL

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
RobFedoraField said:
Dude, that's a piece of crap, I'll IM you my address and you can send it to me so you don't have to cast your eyes away from it any more.

Thanks for bringing me to my senses. I'll be shipping it out to you today...

...NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Cheers,
JtL

Brent Hutto

One of the Regulars
I like the look of that diamond-with-cross approach and that one seems within my means. In fact, when I first pulled the hat out of the box I put a quickie diamond crease in it and liked it a lot except for the touching my head thing so that should be very practical.

I just want to add one clarification to my comments about the thin Borsalino felt. I just love the light as a feather feel of this hat, in fact I love it more every time I put it on. Any difficulty with taking a teardrop crease is more than offset by the pleasure of wearing such a well made (for my taste) hat. I know it's not a vintage lid and it may not be as bulletproof as a heavier felt but boy is it fun to wear!

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
1920's/'30s Tom Horn style

Just received and re-blocked this old western to my size. Here's the resulting hat body. The hat had evidence of having gone through at least two restorations: modern, inappropriate, hack-job ribbon along with a 1960's liner...and, a replacement sweatband from the '30s (or older) with taped seem, cellulose fiber reeding, tight v-stitching.

So, I'm looking for off-white 1" ribbon, and will try to 'extend' the current sweatband with a 1/2" chunk of modern leather, since it's still in nice vintage condition.

TH2Shellx2Med.jpg

suitedcboy

One Too Many
Stetsonian2.jpg

From Webster's Dictionary 134th edition, printed Dec 2009:

Perfect hat crease: 1. the shaping of a hat so as to achieve balanced proportionality, 2. The act of shaping hats leaving the most esthetically pleasing shape making others desirous of such hats. See also Jimmy the Lid.

Wow, every one you display with your touch is Excellent!

buler

I'll Lock Up
Trio of Stetsons

Nice color chart of Stetsons arrived today. See the Island of Misfit Stetsons thread for more details.

B

stetsons_1.jpg

RLK, That is the Peschel I bid on too. It is a real beauty!

The Austria is fantastic and looks very old. Reveal anything behind the sweatband?

Look forward to seeing more pictures / details!

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

rlk

I'll Lock Up
mayserwegener said:
RLK, That is the Peschel I bid on too. It is a real beauty!

The Austria is fantastic and looks very old. Reveal anything behind the sweatband?

Look forward to seeing more pictures / details!

:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap
The Austria hat has nothing under the sweatband,which is almost 2-1/4" wide with a lace running all the way around(bow has worn off the ends). The Peschel has the factory paper stamp but no date or location info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld