Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Chiliarches

A-List Customer
BobC said:
A new lid arrived at my house yesterday, or I should say rearrived. It came from the bay a couple of weeks ago with a center dent which I steamed back to open. The seller said he had sent it to Chicago for a clean and reblock and then put it away and never wore it. Except for some orange discoloration of the liner it's nearly as pristine as a new one.

IMG_1371-1.jpg

IMG_1372-1.jpg

IMG_1373-1.jpg

After I opened the crown I sent it off to Motown to my friend, the creasemeister, Jimmy, who did his magic and returned it to me looking like a Whippet should look. Thanks, Jim! It's beautiful!

IMG_1411.jpg

IMG_1412.jpg

IMG_1407.jpg

IMG_1408.jpg

I've got that exact same hat but I cannot get it to look nearly that good! Bravo, Bob and Jimmy.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jimmy the lid said:
This 3X just arrived, and, as advertised, it is in mint, open crown condition.

3X-4.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Very nice, Jim. How many hats did you crease last weekend? :D

BobC

ScottF said:
I have never seen a hat like this, so thought I'd post all the details. It has a foil size tag, a liner tip with the name of the hat store (not Schoble), and notice the spool of thread in the manufacturer's sweatband logo. 2 3/8" brim, 5.5" unbashed crown. All aspects of it are built well, and I'm guessing it's early 40s.

SchobleSideUnB.jpg

SchobleMe2.jpg

I've never seen anything like that before either, Scott. It looks very cool.

BobC

Orgetorix said:
Picked this up from a fellow over at AAAC. It's a Brooks Brothers hat, with no other maker's name listed. It has a leather "ribbon" that I don't like and will probably replace with grosgrain. I have no idea of the date: any suggestions? I suppose the paper tag may be a clue, if 17.50 is the price.

DSCF5878.jpg

Interesting looking lid, Org. I kind of like the leather band.

BobC

Chiliarches said:
I've got that exact same hat but I cannot get it to look nearly that good! Bravo, Bob and Jimmy.

Thanks, Chilli. The hat's look is all at the magic hands of JtL. I can't imagine how he does it, but he makes them look the way they were meant to look.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
DOUGLAS said:
Oh my!! That is an incredible hat. You lucky man:eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Thanks Bob, Douglas, This has been a very good couple of hat weeks. This one was immediately one of my favorites.

Scott <=== Whippetless in Seattle

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
BobC said:

Well, Bob -- I've been eagerly awaiting the noggin' shots to see how it all looks. Damn! That looks fantastic on you! Suits you extremely well. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Having had a chance to handle that Whippet myself, I can say that the felt is very soft. It has a beautiful feel. And, the color is great. As in the outdoor photos, it almost has a silver hue. I wonder if this is a color that Stetson used to call "Sky Gray"? [huh]

In any event, it really is a great looking lid, and you wear it well. Congrats! :)

(And thanks for the kind words...;))

Cheers,
JtL

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
jimmy the lid said:
And, the color is great. As in the outdoor photos, it almost has a silver hue. I wonder if this is a color that Stetson used to call "Sky Gray"? [huh]

Nicely done, you two! Yeah, that color is more clean looking than my more warm grey Whippet and Bob's binding is almost silver looking. Much more appealing than mine, I think. Very nice Whippet, Bob. :eusa_clap

Mr. Paladin

jimmy the lid said:
This 3X just arrived, and, as advertised, it is in mint, open crown condition. Really nice felt. Brim is 2 7/8" wide. This one was an absolute pleasure to crease...
3X-3.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Thats a beauty, Jimmy! Classy crease work as well.:eusa_clap

Mr. Paladin

BobC said:
A new lid arrived at my house yesterday, or I should say rearrived. It came from the bay a couple of weeks ago with a center dent which I steamed back to open. The seller said he had sent it to Chicago for a clean and reblock and then put it away and never wore it. Except for some orange discoloration of the liner it's nearly as pristine as a new one.

IMG_1408.jpg

That is one slick hat, Bob. You have been doing well on "the bay"! JTL, great work on the crease as well.

BobC

Thanks, everyone. It's the crease that makes the hat live. Thanks to Jim for that and to someone who cared to have this one cleaned and reblocked before me. It's my pleasure and privilege to wear this one out into the light again after who knows how many years in someone's attic or basement.

ScottF

Call Me a Cab
BobC said:
Thanks, everyone. It's the crease that makes the hat live. Thanks to Jim for that and to someone who cared to have this one cleaned and reblocked before me. It's my pleasure and privilege to wear this one out into the light again after who knows how many years in someone's attic or basement.

When do we see the "pile of Whippets" photo?

calendarcover09.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe