Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Strange you should choose to comment on a 10 month old post.

If someone has used the sweatband in another hat, then they've also used the liner. Why would anyone do that so precisely? You need to provide more evidence if you have any.

Btw, Max isn't someone you can scam. If he were to be, he would know it.
Thank you, Steve. I like the hat, and Ignacio did too, and commented that the felt was very high-quality. It just isn't pounced very well, which would correspond with it not being machine-pounced, I guess.
Besides, the hat is not gray, although it looks it in the picture. It is more like a dull, light brown.
And yes, if I had been scammed I think Ignacio and I would have known it

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Hello, I just wanted to respond to this post because it unfairly impugns John's craftsmanship. The hat in the photos is not made by John Penman, He numbers all of his hats and that number on the sweatband does not go with a grey hat. So, what most likely happened is someone used the sweatband and sewed it into some other hat. AKA you got scammed.
I don't think so. The hat is not gray; it is a light, dullish brown.
My hatter has 60 years experience handling fine hats, and he said he liked it better than any of the others I took to him in that batch (I take them to him in 10-hat groups to be conformed to my head), and there were several very good hats there. He said the felt was excellent pure-beaver.
I, too, have handled many fine hats. The hat is very good, it just isn't pounced very finely.
received_493385488929315.jpeg
received_1093966217834440.jpeg
received_541196410555113.jpeg
received_693382598750120.jpeg
received_683811569416261.jpeg
received_5129152003787912.jpeg
received_355725339835506.jpeg
received_278485184413457.jpeg

Attachments

• received_498384708567365.jpeg
    received_498384708567365.jpeg
    29.5 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
I’ve seen and handled a couple custom Penman hats but was never impressed enough to consider buying one. I did think about some of his non-custom Everyman hats, but they too got mixed reviews.

If you know much about Max @drmaxtejeda youll know he has one of the biggest collections of fedoras anywhere. His exposure to the very best hats made in the last 100 years makes him a very valuable source for comparisons. I don’t see Max, or his hatter Ignacio who goes through his new acquisitions, being scammed, but stranger things have happened.

Max isn’t the first person to not be impressed with hats from hatters others revere. I know I appreciate unbiased opinions from experts who have a great depth of exposure for comparison. You could also say that Penman was going for authenticity as the screen Indy hats had their dimensional brims cut with scissors and I’m sure they were not perfectly finished or perfectly even.
I do think you are right, my friend, and have explained why in the posts above this one.
The hat came with accesories, and in an original Penman box.
Here are some pics from the seller I didn't post originally.
As we all know, capturing color with a digital camera is hard, and depends a lot on the lighting.
I can understand loyalty to a hatter close to one's heart; it upsets me when someone criticizes Optimo or Maclachlan, but I would not go as far as impugning the commenter's credibility.
received_493385488929315.jpeg
received_1093966217834440.jpeg
received_541196410555113.jpeg
received_693382598750120.jpeg
received_498384708567365.jpeg
received_683811569416261.jpeg
received_5129152003787912.jpeg
received_355725339835506.jpeg
received_278485184413457.jpeg

Last edited:

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Well....hallelujah!!
There you have it Max @drmaxtejeda!!
The cows done come back to the barn.
I guess that one doesn’t go in the hat safes. Better just put it outside on a fence post.
Hat #.....err color #1193 ain’t gray.
B

Ps: Welcome to the lounge @Holdeng.
Popcorn post #1
Now, after thinking about this post of yours, I have to ask.
Why the glee, Bowen? Were you really so gladdened by thinking I had made a mistake or had been scammed?
It is very surprising to me for you to have that attitude towards me, or anyone else.
Please clarify?

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Why the glee, Bowen? Were you really so gladdened by thinking I had made a mistake or had been scammed?
It is very surprising to me for you to have that attitude towards me, or anyone else.
Please clarify?
No no Max. The exact opposite. I was being sarcastic.
It was obvious to me that the new guy joined just for that post. It appears it was a one and done hit and run post.
It’s humorous when new experts show up to straighten everybody out. If that poster knew the first thing about you and your contributions he would have realized how foolish his first post was.
Be well
Bowen

Please clarify?

It was obvious to me that the new guy joined just for that post. It appears it was a one and done hit and run post.
It’s humorous when new experts show up to straighten everybody out. If that poster knew the first thing about you and your contributions he would have realized how foolish his first post was.
Be well
Bowen

For sure. The sarcasm was thick and we all knew that Bowen wouldn’t put you down. It can sometime be tough when reading text and not having voice inflections and body language to give the message it’s true meaning.

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Be well
Bowen
Ahhhhh!!! Of course! Whew! Damn! The world had turned upside-down for me!!
What a relief. Love ya, Bowen!

I am more than a little sensitive right now, because I am going to need surgery in a month or so to remove part of my colon; I have a non-cancerous narrowing that needs to go, and I might have to use a colostomy bag for two months!
Dang! 'Sides, I have been contemplating my mortality, and have decided to retire after the surgery, all of which has saddened me.
Anyway, I apologize for doubting you, my friend.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up

I am more than a little sensitive right now, because I am going to need surgery in a month or so to remove part of my colon; I have a non-cancerous narrowing that needs to go, and I might have to use a colostomy bag for two months!
Dang! 'Sides, I have been contemplating my mortality, and have decided to retire after the surgery, all of which has saddened me.
Oh Max i’ve meant to ask you about that. Forgive me, i have wondered many times how that all was.
A major health event does much to the mind and the mortality aspect will cause anyone to question everything they thought matters in life. Some 5 years post my cardiac crap i’m still a lost sole. Every day is a blessing easily taken for granted.
My prayers for a full and complete healing for you my friend.
You never have to apologize to me Max for anything. You are a good friend and always will be one and not just a lounge friend.
I’m thrilled for you hanging up the drill so you can be all of our finest hatted golf bum in the world!!
Be well
Bowen

drmaxtejeda

I'll Lock Up
Oh Max i’ve meant to ask you about that. Forgive me, i have wondered many times how that all was.
A major health event does much to the mind and the mortality aspect will cause anyone to question everything they thought matters in life. Some 5 years post my cardiac crap i’m still a lost sole. Every day is a blessing easily taken for granted.
You never have to apologize to me Max for anything. You are a good friend and always will be one and not just a lounge friend.
I’m thrilled for you hanging up the drill so you can be all of our finest hatted golf bum in the world!!
Be well
Bowen
You know, I just might be! I had never thought of it that way!

The Shoe

Call Me a Cab

Very sorry to hear about your health problems, Max.
I cannot deny a “whoop whoop!” feeling at having snagged that Tirard just ahead of you. Not through any ill feeling - just excited to get a hat worthy of Dr. Max.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
The color of the felt is one of my favorites in the range of Borsalino production.
Mirtillo 2.jpg

Borsalino Qualità Extra Extra Superiore size 6 1/2 or 60 cm. in the US it is a 7 1/2.
Mirtillo Interno.jpg
The color of the felt is "Mirtillo - Blueberry" and the finish has a very short fur and is very soft.
Mirtillo etichetta carta.jpg The hat is a production of the historical Borsalino in its last years.
Mirtillo 4.jpg
The hat was produced in 1981 when the historic family sold the property to a group of Alexandria families
Mirtillo 3.jpg

The measures of the hat typical shape in Italy of those years are: the brim over the top are 5 cm. the open crown is 13cm and the matching ribbon is 4cm.
Mirtillo 6.jpg
I couldn't resist the color although I hope to find others in my favorite colors :)

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
Argento Barbisio 6.jpg

The Barbisio production was of the highest quality until the end of their activity (1981) and the Cervo hat factory also distinguished itself in production of the brand until the 2000s, then something got lost.
Argento Barbisio interno.jpg
Super Barbisio Extra Lusso size 6 or 59 cm. in the US it is a 7 3/8.
Argento Barbisio 4.jpg
The production is that of the historic factory in Sagliano Micca - Biella and the color of the felt and the finish were the reasons for the purchase.
Argento Barbisio etichetta carta.jpg
The color is "Argento - Silver" and the felt finish is "Taupè" French word for a finish with little and short fur
Argento Barbisio 2.jpg
The measures of the Barbisio are: the brim, over sewn is 6 cm. the open crown is 13.5cm and the contrasting ribbon is 4cm.
Argento Barbisio 1.jpg
I have a soft spot in my heart for Barbisio, I admit...

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up

I hope the surgery goes well Max, that you make a speedy recovery, and are hitting those links before you know it.

Very best wishes to you!

Be well
Bowen
I am sorry to hear about you health issues Max. I hope all goes well with your surgery and recovery.

View attachment 409394
The Barbisio production was of the highest quality until the end of their activity (1981) and the Cervo hat factory also distinguished itself in production of the brand until the 2000s, then something got lost.
View attachment 409395
Super Barbisio Extra Lusso size 6 or 59 cm. in the US it is a 7 3/8.
View attachment 409396
The production is that of the historic factory in Sagliano Micca - Biella and the color of the felt and the finish were the reasons for the purchase.
View attachment 409397
The color is "Argento - Silver" and the felt finish is "Taupè" French word for a finish with little and short fur
View attachment 409398
The measures of the Barbisio are: the brim, over sewn is 6 cm. the open crown is 13.5cm and the contrasting ribbon is 4cm.
View attachment 409400
I have a soft spot in my heart for Barbisio, I admit...
Two wonderful finds, Daniele. Prime Italian hatmanufacture on display.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe