Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
In my little resistance to the proposals of the market, some new elements of the immense family of Borsalino production are added every now and then.
M Blancfer 1.jpg

Borsalino Antica Casa size 58 cm. so a 7 1/4 US which has a particular heathered felt.
M Blancfer interno.jpg
It belongs to the large "Misti" family, that is fur and wool mixed to give this particular finish to the felt in which elements of different colors stand out on the background color.
M Blancfer 3.jpg
The color of the felt and the type are M. (which means Mixed) Blancfer (could translate into "White Iron") with the ribbon in "Asfalto-Asphalt" color.
M Blancfer etichetta carta.jpg
It is not my size, maybe it was, but its peculiarity invited me to buy it.
M Blancfer 4.jpg
These are the measurements: the over-sewn brims are 5.5 cm. The open crown is 12.5cm and the ribbon is 4cm high.
M Blancfer particolare.jpg
Felt, as in all mixed fabrics, is a mixture of different colors and surfaces, here you can see it well.
M Blancfer 5.jpg

It goes to keep company with the others who occasionally appear on these threads.

Last edited:
I can not resist, despite the good intentions.
The Italian hat market is conspiring against me because it is full of succulent news almost every day
View attachment 408754
Panizza De Luxe size 59 cm. 7 3/8 US, an extremely well preserved hat
View attachment 408755
It is one of the rare long-fur hats produced in Italy.
View attachment 408756
The velour is very soft and slightly different from the master hatters of Central Europe.
What made me decide is the color of the felt, not indicated on the label,
View attachment 408757
but which could be defined as "Honey".
View attachment 408758
These are the measurements: the raw brims are 5.5 cm. The open crown is 14 cm and the ribbon is 3 cm high with a very particular bow
View attachment 408759
On the other hand we saw, a few years ago with Steve, the parade of bows displayed on the walls of the Panizza museum, as well as the machine tools to produce velour
View attachment 408761
In the past I have found other Panizza in long velour fur, but the colors and the shape were too out of my taste, this one, however, is fine ;)
Wonderful

In my little resistance to the proposals of the market, some new elements of the immense family of Borsalino production are added every now and then.
View attachment 408767
Borsalino Qualità Extra Extra Superiore size 58 cm. so a 7 1/4 US which has a particular heathered felt.
View attachment 408770
It belongs to the large "Misti" family, that is fur and wool mixed to give this particular finish to the felt in which elements of different colors stand out on the background color.
View attachment 408768
The color of the felt and the type are M. (which means Mixed) Blancfer (could translate into "White Iron") with the ribbon in "Asfalto-Asphalt" color.
View attachment 408769
View attachment 408771
These are the measurements: the over-sewn brims are 5.5 cm. The open crown is 12.5cm and the ribbon is 4cm high.
View attachment 408772
Felt, as in all mixed fabrics, is a mixture of different colors and surfaces, here you can see it well.
View attachment 408773
It goes to keep company with the others who occasionally appear on these threads.
While I… like many of us do appreciate a nice heathered felt. Being an owner of short haired dogs with light colored fur for the last 20 years… this just makes me feel some sorta way. I’m not sure if I feel the need to incessantly clean it,.. or just claim all my dark colored hats are in fact heather :D;)

While I… like many of us do appreciate a nice heathered felt. Being an owner of short haired dogs with light colored fur for the last 20 years… this just makes me feel some sorta way. I’m not sure if I feel the need to incessantly clean it,.. or just claim all my dark colored hats are in fact heather :D;)
I do believe you're eloquently expressed the "problem" I would have owning such a hat--I'd never be quite sure I was done brushing it. :oops:

View attachment 408633

Stetson No. 1 Quality
Greenish Grey to Tan/Brown Grey Felt
6 inch open crown
3 1/2 raw edge brim
1 inch mid ribbon with frayed edge bow

Picked up what I am guessing to be late 60s to 70s Stetson No. 1 Quality western. My first No.1 and I knew it was going to need some shaping… but for the price I had to jump on it. It arrived in a box measuring about 9x13x7 so you can imagine this hat with a 6 inch crown and 3 1/2 inch brim was quite crumpled when I removed it from the box. I gave it a good brushing and decided it was definitely going to need some steam. I got to steaming it last night and the crown shaped up real well but the brim was really still quite wonky. Today I decided to get out the steam iron and flatten the brim… It came out fairly crisp. I’d really like to give this a kettle curl.. but there is not enough stiffener in the brim to hold the shape I don’t think… so that may be a future project. This hat does have a real presence to it.

View attachment 408635 View attachment 408634 View attachment 408636 View attachment 408637 View attachment 408638 View attachment 408639 View attachment 408640 View attachment 408641 View attachment 408642
Very nice, Joe. I like the flattened brim.

The Italian hat market is conspiring against me because it is full of succulent news almost every day
View attachment 408754
View attachment 408755
View attachment 408756
The velour is very soft and slightly different from the master hatters of Central Europe.
View attachment 408757
View attachment 408758
These are the measurements: the raw brims are 5.5 cm. The open crown is 14 cm and the ribbon is 3 cm high with a very particular bow
View attachment 408759
On the other hand we saw, a few years ago with Steve, the parade of bows displayed on the walls of the Panizza museum, as well as the machine tools to produce velour
View attachment 408761
In the past I have found other Panizza in long velour fur, but the colors and the shape were too out of my taste, this one, however, is fine ;)
Shape, colour and ribbon treatment are wonderful. Well, it just needed to be with you. I can relate; hats seem to follow me home;)

View attachment 408767
Borsalino Qualità Extra Extra Superiore size 58 cm. so a 7 1/4 US which has a particular heathered felt.
View attachment 408770
View attachment 408768
View attachment 408769
View attachment 408771
View attachment 408772
View attachment 408773
Lovely grey colours, although I must admit I like my heathers a bit more well behaved.

I took a chance on a cheap lot of hats last week and this week they came in. All but one came from a retailer in Paris, called Biset, Boulevard de Rochechouart (best not try to pronounce that if you're not French). Apparently and as we'll see they had the policy to date-stamp their hats (I like them already). Couldn't find anything about this retailer, but I have the idea they didn't make it through the war. The hat lot was four hats all from the same gentleman with the initials M.M. and what I think is the last one came from Sools, not from Biset.

Mossant fedora in black (noir). Size 58 with the raw edge brim at 5cm and the crown at 11cm at the center dent. Unlined and with the Biset crown patch inside. Weighs 115 grams. Dated 7-7-1939.

mossant biset noir_01.jpg

mossant biset noir_02.jpg

mossant biset noir_03.jpg

mossant biset noir_04.jpg

mossant biset noir_06.jpg

mossant biset noir_07.jpg

mossant biset noir_08.jpg

mossant biset noir_09.jpg

mossant biset noir_11.jpg

mossant biset noir_12.jpg

Mossant fedora in a heather grey (no name for the colour, because most of the label is missing). Size 58 with the overwelt brim at 6,8cm and the crown at 11,5cm at the center dent. This one is lined and dated 24 november 1934. It does has some small nibbles, but not too noticeable on the heather felt.
Not counting that they are not my size, this hat lot was quite the find.
mossant biset gris_01.jpg

mossant biset gris_02.jpg

mossant biset gris_03.jpg

mossant biset gris_04.jpg

mossant biset gris_06.jpg

mossant biset gris_07.jpg

mossant biset gris_08.jpg

mossant biset gris_09.jpg

mossant biset gris_10.jpg

mossant biset gris_11.jpg

Mossant fedora in blue (bleu très foncé). Size 59 (all the hats belonged to the same man, so must have fit his size 58 I think). Raw edge brim at 5cm and the crown at 11 cm at the center dent. Unlined and date stamped 29 november 1936.
Lovely hand to the felt and a great dark blue colour.

mossant biset bleu_01.jpg

mossant biset bleu_02.jpg

mossant biset bleu_03.jpg

mossant biset bleu_04.jpg

mossant biset bleu_06.jpg

mossant biset bleu_07.jpg

mossant biset bleu_08.jpg

mossant biset bleu_09.jpg

mossant biset bleu_10.jpg

mossant biset bleu_12.jpg
Lovely dark blue

Mossant fedora in a heather grey (no name for the colour, because most of the label is missing). Size 58 with the overwelt brim at 6,8cm and the crown at 11,5cm at the center dent. This one is lined and dated 24 november 1934. It does has some small nibbles, but not too noticeable on the heather felt.
Not counting that they are not my size, this hat lot was quite the find.
mossant biset gris_01.jpg

mossant biset gris_02.jpg

mossant biset gris_03.jpg

mossant biset gris_04.jpg

mossant biset gris_06.jpg

mossant biset gris_07.jpg

mossant biset gris_08.jpg

mossant biset gris_09.jpg

mossant biset gris_10.jpg

mossant biset gris_11.jpg
I like the Sandy texture to the felt.

The Shoe

Call Me a Cab
View attachment 408754
View attachment 408755
View attachment 408756
View attachment 408757
View attachment 408758
View attachment 408759
View attachment 408761
If only the Japanese market were so succulent.

The fourth hat from a hat lot of four. All the others were Mossant hats sold by Biser of Paris. This Borsalino was sold by Sools (so it seems). Could be the sweatband is a replacement, because the Borsalino logo is missing.

Borsalino Landasti in the colour Bismuto. Size 57 with the raw edge brim at 5cm and the crown at 10,5cm at the center dent. Liner is missing, but it probably did have one. The label is the one with the separate size sticker, so early in the period 1936-1953.

borsalino landasti sools_1.jpg

borsalino landasti sools_2.jpg

borsalino landasti sools_3.jpg

borsalino landasti sools_4.jpg

borsalino landasti sools_5.jpg

borsalino landasti sools_6.jpg

borsalino landasti sools_7.jpg

borsalino landasti sools_8.jpg

borsalino landasti sools_9.jpg

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up
I took a chance on a cheap lot of hats last week and this week they came in. All but one came from a retailer in Paris, called Biset, Boulevard de Rochechouart (best not try to pronounce that if you're not French). Apparently and as we'll see they had the policy to date-stamp their hats (I like them already). Couldn't find anything about this retailer, but I have the idea they didn't make it through the war. The hat lot was four hats all from the same gentleman with the initials M.M. and what I think is the last one came from Sools, not from Biset.

Mossant fedora in black (noir). Size 58 with the raw edge brim at 5cm and the crown at 11cm at the center dent. Unlined and with the Biset crown patch inside. Weighs 115 grams. Dated 7-7-1939.

mossant biset noir_01.jpg

mossant biset noir_02.jpg

mossant biset noir_03.jpg

mossant biset noir_04.jpg

mossant biset noir_06.jpg

mossant biset noir_07.jpg

mossant biset noir_08.jpg

mossant biset noir_09.jpg

mossant biset noir_11.jpg

mossant biset noir_12.jpg
You sure know how to take a chance, Stefan. Then again, you have the right and knowledgeable eye. Great finds nicely caught.

The fourth hat from a hat lot of four. All the others were Mossant hats sold by Biser of Paris. This Borsalino was sold by Sools (so it seems). Could be the sweatband is a replacement, because the Borsalino logo is missing.

Borsalino Landasti in the colour Bismuto. Size 57 with the raw edge brim at 5cm and the crown at 10,5cm at the center dent. Liner is missing, but it probably did have one. The label is the one with the separate size sticker, so early in the period 1936-1953.

borsalino landasti sools_1.jpg

borsalino landasti sools_2.jpg

borsalino landasti sools_3.jpg

borsalino landasti sools_4.jpg

borsalino landasti sools_5.jpg

borsalino landasti sools_6.jpg

borsalino landasti sools_7.jpg

borsalino landasti sools_8.jpg

borsalino landasti sools_9.jpg

All are great finds! I wish the date stamping was more universal. Not my size either, but an absolute pleasure to see and all worth saving. Way to go, Stefan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe