Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
HarpPlayerGene said:
DSC_0020.jpg

'Wearing it' pic in the "What hat... today" thread.

That ribbon treatment is superlative!!! :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Carlisle Blues said:
Federation Deluxe IV in Moonstone and in Brown

Carlisle, are you pleased with the moonstone color? I hope I didn't steer you wrong with my color description back when you were looking.

jlagman

New in Town
HarpPlayerGene said:
Hey there, jlagman.

Thanks for sharing your new hat with us via good photos and description. That's a drag about the irregularities and a heads up to the rest of us.

As with many modern hats, the crown shape is tapered into a conical configuration which is not my favorite thing in a fedora. I prefer a fuller crown. You seem to wear it well and have done good job creasing it considering the shape, but I suggest trying to get a slightly deeper bash (= lower the crown height a degree) and try the diamond crease which tends to flare the sides out to a more vertical aspect.
Wow, thanks for the suggestions Gene. I converted the long centre dent to a diamond/shield crease while I was at the office and I absolutely love the way it looks on me now. The crown was brought down just a little bit and doesn't look so tapered anymore.

Update:

IMG_0139.jpg

P.S. this hat is slowly beginning to grow on me; I never realized how fun owning an open crown hat was.

RBH

Bartender
jlagman said:
Wow, thanks for the suggestions Gene. I converted the long centre dent to a diamond/shield crease while I was at the office and I absolutely love the way it looks on me now. The crown was brought down just a little bit and doesn't look so tapered anymore.

Update:

IMG_0139.jpg

P.S. this hat is slowly beginning to grow on me; I never realized how fun owning an open crown hat was.
Looks better! You cant go wrong with a diamond!!!

RBH

Bartender
Mr. Paladin said:
Gene, very nice Panama. I like the wide brim better too.

Cruss, glad to have you here. I like the Stetsons and that one is very nice. Glad you posted.

D.W., I have an Open Rod shantung as well and have worn it for 7-8 years. I have tried to get it to change the brim shape slightly several times, but it seems to always go back to the factory press. Still a good hat though; I like mine very much.

Canoeing on Lake Hamilton, Hot Springs, Arkansas.
DSCF0069.jpg
Looking forward to wearing my straws MrP... Im going to be at OakLawn in Hot Springs on 3.13, I will be wearing one of my thin ribbons [most likely a felt].
Cant go to the horse races and not think of 'Seabiscuit'.

RBH

Bartender
HarpPlayerGene said:
Here's the specs and results:

Crown - dropped it to 3-3/4" at middle of front pinch, 4-1/4" max at sides, 3-3/4" at back.

Brim - 2-1/2" all around but visually shorter now with the flip up swoop thing I did to it.

Ribbon - replaced the 2-1/8" multi-colored, patterned one with a 1-5/8" wraparound, cream colored, pleated one. Unfortunately, there's a barely visible darker margin where the old band used to be. I guess the hat has faded a little. No prob.

Today, I paired it with some cream colored Cole-Haan thrift store specials:
DSC_0011.jpg

(I noticed that wild thread after I took the photo below, and trimmed it with nail clippers)
DSC_0021.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

'Wearing it' pic in the "What hat... today" thread.
You did good Gene!
Really like the ribbon, I liked the way the brim was before... but the 'new' brim really looks like you!
Super job!!

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Just received this light gray Borsalino Alessandria this week -- more in the Borsalino Brotherhood thread...

Left3.jpg

GBorso2.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Mr. Paladin said:
Carlisle, are you pleased with the moonstone color? I hope I didn't steer you wrong with my color description back when you were looking.

Absolutely Sarge. Your description was impeccably detailed. I did not even need to actually see the color. Thanks:eusa_clap :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, J.J. and others.

I'm beginning to realize just how versatile this one will be with that combo. Seems I've got several off white shirts and even a Hawaiian style flowery tie with red and cream color scheme that this one will go great with. And, of course, it'll jibe with black no problem. I expect to be using this one regularly in the summer. :)

kiltie

Practically Family
Camp Draft...

...because it's spelled that way on the sweatband.

IMG_0890-1.jpg

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/IMG_0887.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/IMG_0888.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/IMG_0889.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/safdkiltie/IMG_0890.jpg

This one came while I was at work last night:rage: . Picked it up this morning and went to work on it. I know a lot of people don't advocate the use of steam, but for a shape this severe, I think it was the right thing to do.
If anyone cares to know, my technique for focusing the steam is to put the center for a bunt cake mold on top of a sauce pan and let 'er rip; does a pretty good job.
The crown is a lot nicer, more refined look ( finish ) than the brim. I made a point of posting a couple of times that the Federation IV I got had a smoother finish than a couple of Akubras I got a little over a year ago ( all regular Ak quality - no deluxe ). This hat is like some weird cross between my older hats and the new one[huh] . No complaints, for the price, and it's nice to have an OR style that, while I intend to take care of it, I can wear into some of the rowdier environs I frequent and not worry too much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe