Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
New Adam Royal from Johnnyphi

Received my first Johnnyphi hat on Monday--an Adam Royal in a medium grey (darker than in his photos on the Merchants page, #155) with a thin ribbon. I opened the box and saw a thing of beauty.

It's also my first open crown lid, so I tried my hand at a couple of bashes. So many of you like the teardrop that I tried that first:

P1010055.jpg

P1010009.jpg

But, as you can see, my pinch was a bit off-center. So, I opened up the bash and decided to try again.

This time I decided to go diamond bash, following Matt and Dinerman's great advice in another thread:

P1010028.jpg

P1010001_2.jpg

P1010021_2.jpg

Given that this is my first attempt at bashing a lid, I'll appreciate any advice or feedback. Any preference between bashes? Thanks!

Garrett

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HarpPlayerGene said:
Well, I stopped short of trimming the brim on this one :eek: but I did modify a recent acquisition as shown below.

This Mossant Homburg came from Garrett. Great taupe color, super felt. I just didn't care for the the thin ribbon (sorry RBH!!) on this style of hat. Also, I like 'em to have a little more swoop to the front of the brim so here's the lid after some steam and the addition of a vintage deep blue ribbon and bow I had in store:

Before (color of felt not so accurate):
DSC_0015.jpg

After:
DSC_0012.jpg

In the sun for accurate color:
DSC_0013.jpg

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0016-1.jpg

And on me showing the 'swoop':
DSC_0011.jpg

Looks great, Gene! More than I could've ever done with it. :eusa_clap

kaosharper1

One Too Many
jazzncocktails said:
Received my first Johnnyphi hat on Monday--an Adam Royal in a medium grey (darker than in his photos on the Merchants page, #155) with a thin ribbon. I opened the box and saw a thing of beauty.

This time I decided to go diamond bash, following Matt and Dinerman's great advice in another thread:

P1010021_2.jpg

Given that this is my first attempt at bashing a lid, I'll appreciate any advice or feedback. Any preference between bashes? Thanks!

It looks good, but I'd drop the back "point" a little so the hat rakes downwards from front to back. It looks more pleasing if the back is about 1/4" to 1/2" lower than the front.

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jazzncocktails said:
Received my first Johnnyphi hat on Monday--an Adam Royal in a medium grey (darker than in his photos on the Merchants page, #155) with a thin ribbon.

P1010028.jpg

That's a good looking Adam, Jazz, and a fine looking diamond. I like that bash the best for that hat. I got my Adam out yesterday. I don't wear it often, but each time I do I think I should definitely wear it more. The felt feels great and it's such a nice fedora.

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
kaosharper1 said:
It looks good, but I'd drop the back "point" a little so the hat rakes downwards from front to back. It looks more pleasing if the back is about 1/4" to 1/2" lower than the front.
Thanks, kaosharper1--great advice. In fact, if you look at the photo, you can see the crease in the back from my previous bash (both were dry bashes) where I had it lower. I've dropped the back a bit, and you're right, it looks much better--less like a stovepipe and more stylish. Much appreciated.

jazzncocktails

A-List Customer
BobC said:
That's a good looking Adam, Jazz, and a fine looking diamond. I like that bash the best for that hat. I got my Adam out yesterday. I don't wear it often, but each time I do I think I should definitely wear it more. The felt feels great and it's such a nice fedora.
Much appreciated, BobC, given that it's my first bash attempt. The Adam is great...I'm looking forward to seeing how it breaks in.

Thanks also Michaelshane!

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Hey Jazz, nice score. I agree with dragging the back down a touch but otherwise, very good. I kid Rusty and Indy about always going for the diamond crease but on the thin ribbons it's really a perfect look. They don't have a big swath of ribbon to get in the way of the flare produced by the diamond. Several of my thins are creased this way.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Allright...

So a couple more arrived. :eek:

I'm really very pleased about this Optimo style Panama straw. I got it for a song and the Ebay photo was not very clear. I usually get beat out on these as they often go for three digits, but now I'm glad I waited. I was hoping it would be a supple, fine weave hat and sure 'nuff it is.

And Rusty, LOOK, it's a "Supernatural" :D (but not the Cuenca type):

DSC_0014.jpg

DSC_0015.jpg

DSC_0017.jpg

DSC_0018.jpg

DSC_0019.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Cont'd...

And the fit is perfect.

This one has a very WIIIIIDE brim. A real contrast to the "Harvard Club" optimo I already had (shown below for comparison).

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0023.jpg

Old "Harvard Club" optimo with smaller brim:
DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0059.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Cont'd, Cont'd,... will he EVER stop!?!

Here's a cool tidbit that came with the hat. Inside the sweat band in front was this piece of paper, so if the hat became separated from its owner it might get returned. Note absence of zip code on one side and date reference on the other.

DSC_0035.jpg

DSC_0036.jpg

The hat could be older than this but it's a safe bet it's not any newer:
DSC_0037.jpg

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Now here's another one. This came from Garrett. I've always been a little curious about Milan hats so here's my chance to get to know one. Since I snapped these shots, I've dampened it and adjusted the crown and brim a touch. I'll follow up with 'afters' when it's dry. I'm also seriously considering a ribbon transplant. I know the type it has is traditional, but...

DSC_0024.jpg

DSC_0025.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

DSC_0030.jpg

DSC_0033.jpg

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Well, Gene, I guess you're ready for summer to get here!lol

Those are some terrific straws you've got there. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

As for myself, I'm hoping it doesn't get too hot to wear felts to soon.

Cheers,
Tom

D.W. Suratt

One of the Regulars
New Open Road Straw

Here is my new Open Road straw I purchased for one of my summer hats. I also wanted to see if I liked the style with the cattleman crease before my Campdraft arrives. First off I am not very impressed with the overall quality of the hat. Compared to my Resistol straws this one doesn't come close. I do like the style though and the fit is perfect. The hat is very light and should do well for summer wear. I ordered the hat from DelMonico hatters and while they shipped the hat extremly fast (ordered Sun night, received today). I didn't care for there packing. Just stuck in a plain box with paper wrapped around it. It's hard to tell from the photos but the brim is a little warped. I don't know if this is from the shipping or the way is was stored before shipping. Can you use steam on a shantung hat? Anyway here's the pics.

3312809006_b15c9da0f4_m.jpg

3311988975_f0896aaa63_m.jpg

Cruss

New in Town
D.W. Suratt said:
Here is my new Open Road straw I purchased for one of my summer hats. I also wanted to see if I liked the style with the cattleman crease before my Campdraft arrives. First off I am not very impressed with the overall quality of the hat. Compared to my Resistol straws this one doesn't come close. I do like the style though and the fit is perfect. The hat is very light and should do well for summer wear. I ordered the hat from DelMonico hatters and while they shipped the hat extremly fast (ordered Sun night, received today). I didn't care for there packing. Just stuck in a plain box with paper wrapped around it. It's hard to tell from the photos but the brim is a little warped. I don't know if this is from the shipping or the way is was stored before shipping. Can you use steam on a shantung hat? Anyway here's the pics.

You can steam a straw hat, but it's not the same as with a felt hat. Nonetheless, some heat will help you fix the brim. That's been my experience. You can also dunk it into a five gallon bucket of water, leave it for a minute or so, then pull it out, hand shape it, and then let it dry natural like.

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
Tango Yankee said:
Well, Gene, I guess you're ready for summer to get here!lol

Those are some terrific straws you've got there. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

As for myself, I'm hoping it doesn't get too hot to wear felts to soon.

Cheers,
Tom

I'm with you, Tom. I've really enjoyed my felts in recent months. You're likely to have more 'cool time' than we in Florida will. Last year, during the summer, I was still collecting hats with a vengeance. I couldn't resist wearing some of those felts in the summer just to wear them. This coming year, I'm going to limit the felts to just the lightweights and really give the straws some air time. But I'm gonna' milk the mild temps for all their worth before I make the jump! :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe