Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

40Cal

One Too Many
Here's the interior. Pretty clean too!
hats%20003_zps89gjbcoz.jpg

40Cal

One Too Many
thats a stunner indeed 40

great score

an early 40s hat for 40cal

I am a lucky man! Occasionally Any thoughts on Vita felt? This is my second. I can't tell if the felt is thinner or just doesn't have as much stiffener. Both of mine change shape easily... almost too easily. Wondered if you noticed the same.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I am a lucky man! Occasionally Any thoughts on Vita felt? This is my second. I can't tell if the felt is thinner or just doesn't have as much stiffener. Both of mine change shape easily... almost too easily. Wondered if you noticed the same.

I don't find all that much difference between my other 40s hats and the Vita Felt... they are all very soft, pliable , and mold like soft clay

I don't think anyone really knows what Vita Felt is

I have heard it was a formula they used in the very early 40s to try to rival what Borsalino was putting out
.... and also they had changed their formula briefly do to certain ingredients being available during war time

I mention both of these things with sort of a question mark tone to my voice ...

but these are two things I have heard from various hat connoisseurs that I have talked to

maybe someone else can chime in and give more info

nevertheless it is a fantastic felt ... and I am proud to own a couple

congrats again

I'm just learning about these Vita Felts.

Great pick up. I hope you'll add your hat to the Vita-Felt thread. You can read lots of fact and theory there. I would guess this example to be mid 1940s.

Here is a link to a thread with photos of an Imperial Stetson from the late 1930s-1940 (the original owner of this hat died in 1943). Also marked 3X Beaver, this hat would have retailed at the fifteen dollar price point and had a mode-edge (felted edge).

On the felt character of Vita-Felt, I have handled a number of them and there is a range - from soft and floppy to quite firm (homburg). This might be tied to how the hats have aged and been treated over the years, to the different models and price points, to the development of the proprietary process - most likely to mix of all these factors.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Just picked up this Premier Knox Whippet clone.
Just a really beautiful hat in wonderful condition.
Super soft pliable felt ... Take a look
cb5a50e7839342f4bfc85419abb4a415.jpg

b11c0092b0087af12dd93a0bbfc625d8.jpg

48550e871809d5bf248263101986cf9a.jpg

fac08ac8caba3b93e5e679ee3b187dd7.jpg
f16b485f24edca9b0c6afb5c0e047cf6.jpg

8a2f9d8e1f1b9d50d4cacea22c0b359a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

40Cal

One Too Many
On the felt character of Vita-Felt, I have handled a number of them and there is a range - from soft and floppy to quite firm (homburg). This might be tied to how the hats have aged and been treated over the years, to the different models and price points, to the development of the proprietary process - most likely to mix of all these factors.

Thanks Alan.... and thanks for the links in your previous post. Looks like i have some reading to do!

NewJack

Practically Family
Just received the Stetson Grand Central from Delmonico...When I received the call from Jeff it was on it's way :eusa_clap......The felt has a great hand and shapeable without steam. But to get it the way I wanted and for it to stay, a shot of steam (only) was in order...Well...Here are a few pics. The one thing I must get used to with this sweetie is to keep clean hands and my dark colored horsehair brush close by after each wear! :D

Outside...

Inside...After steaming and adding one of the few bashes I know...for right now...;)

Bushman

I'll Lock Up
Just received the Stetson Grand Central from Delmonico...When I received the call from Jeff it was on it's way :eusa_clap......The felt has a great hand and shapeable without steam. But to get it the way I wanted and for it to stay, a shot of steam (only) was in order...Well...Here are a few pics. The one thing I must get used to with this sweetie is to keep clean hands and my dark colored horsehair brush close by after each wear! :D

Outside...

Inside...After steaming and adding one of the few bashes I know...for right now...;)

I'm not personally fond of all black hats, but my does the Grand Central look gorgeous in all black!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe