Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mikespens

Call Me a Cab
Thanks dh66, Roger, Monte, and Richard. I'm really pleased with the hat and although the opening bid was $40 lower than the BIN I feel like I still got a bargain and ended up avoiding the cheapskate blues on this one.

Monte, the Penney's looks great. If it would have been my size you would have had a fight on your hands ;) Is it the synthetic straw? Damn I wish I could remember the trade name of it.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Interesting little Beaver Brand, with a 2 1/8" overwelt and low crown. I love this color. The box says it's "char-grey" but it has clear notes of purple/eggplant/plum, which I adore. I hope to get a comparison shot next to my other greys soon-- I think the color will really stand out.

v4vc.jpg
Nice score, Bowlerman. This hat and box look to be of an older vintage than the stuff hitting the 'Bay after the American Brand auction--do I have that right?

A

Monte

Practically Family
....Monte, the Penney's looks great. ....Is it the synthetic straw?
Damn I wish I could remember the trade name of it.

If it is, which it may be, it does a good job of looking like the old '50s-'60s straw hat I sold. It is light and looks tightly woven with micro gaps in the weave all over. The sweat is nice leather too. Very happy with it and the fit.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Nice score, Bowlerman. This hat and box look to be of an older vintage than the stuff hitting the 'Bay after the American Brand auction--do I have that right?

A

Definitely. The liner embroidery and yellowing patina, as well as the typefont on the sweatband give it away, although I couldn't tell you exactly when it's from. The stingy overwelt and the elastic button cord lead me to believe it could be as early as the 60s, but anyone feel free to correct me on that! It's quite a finely made hat, though the sweatband had started to experience a tiny bit of drying out near the upper edge-- another sign of age. I own a handful of BBs and this is easily the most well made and oldest of them.

The straws look great, Monte and Mike!

Ghost Rider

One of the Regulars
The hat could have been made by PolkaP. They use to be one of the J. Hückel´s Söhne factories up to WWII.

http://polkap.pl/?lang=en

I like it too. The form / style is very much late 50s early 60s German.

Mayswewegener: You are a genius sir! I was back at Faustmann a couple of days ago and took the opportunity to unravel the mystery:

Sorry for the poor quality photos, but you can see that is is definitely a PolkaP :eusa_clap

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
The stingy overwelt and the elastic button cord lead me to believe it could be as early as the 60s, but anyone feel free to correct me on that!

Here's a picture of the sweatband in my 50s Worth (a Langenberg/BB label) western fedora:

27092013.jpg

It's a crappy pic, but you should be able to see, it's exactly the same as in yours. The stingy brim on yours could place it the late 50s or early 60s - but I'm not sure.

smokepiper

New in Town
Just purchased from the same seller. Seems to be a really good seller. There were a few sizing issues on my order and he exchanged and worked with me to make everyone happy. The 5x is much nicer than the 3x. the 3 was a bit "cardboardy" I exchanged up for a 5x and the hand is so much nicer. He said he had hundreds of hats in boxes. I'm sure the bay will be flooded for months with Beaver Brand and American Legend hats. Enjoy.

D

Blackjack

One Too Many
Just purchased from the same seller. Seems to be a really good seller. There were a few sizing issues on my order and he exchanged and worked with me to make everyone happy. The 5x is much nicer than the 3x. the 3 was a bit "cardboardy" I exchanged up for a 5x and the hand is so much nicer. He said he had hundreds of hats in boxes. I'm sure the bay will be flooded for months with Beaver Brand and American Legend hats. Enjoy.

D

Good to know if there's a problem!!!! Danke'

g.durand

One Too Many
Ok, just picked this Beaver brand fedora for 45.00, on ebay. If it's terrible I'm not out much if it's nice I'm ahead of the game...[huh]

View attachment 4634

Keep us posted, Blackjack. I've looked at those myself and I'm wondering what they're like.

Meanwhile, I finally got around to taking some photos of the Mallory Ten I posted during the week in the WHAYWT thread. It's difficult to capture the color of this hat. I would call it a dark roasted coffee bean color with hints of deep violet. The ribbon and brim binding are black. And it's "Cravanette Processed" of course. Can I wear it in the shower? :confused:

IMG_3184_zps40a025b3.jpg

IMG_3182_zpsebd7a9f2.jpg

IMG_3185_zps780cc885.jpg

IMG_3186_zps2b32b336.jpg

Last edited:

g.durand

One Too Many
Thanks, gents. This was a lucky find. As I mentioned, the photos don't do it justice. The color is much more dramatic than shown.

Truth be told, Manfred, I probably won't let a single drop of water near it!

Mike--that is really true. Modern custom hats come close, but there is nothing like a well-preserved vintage lid.

Last edited:

Orangegrad

Practically Family
I purchased a couple NOS Beaver Brand. The felt is quite stiff - reminds me of the type of Akubra Imperial felt you'll find on a Snowy River or Cattleman. The sweat is very sturdy - but I'm thinking it's faux leather like modern Stetsons. For the money I paid, a very good hat.

IMG_0284.JPG IMG_0285.JPG IMG_0286.JPG

Looks like a nice hat O.G. I see you've upped the ante; hat, jewrlry, AND boots. I dig it

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe