Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Poll/question - Brim width

interjake

New in Town
I'm a relatively new member to this great website. I currently own a few fedoras - Stetson, Borsalino & some straws. I'm interested in anyone's thoughts, ideas and/or opinion on what folks think a suitable brim width would be for today's fashion era. My hats range from 2" to 3.5"s. The last few years, I've leaned towards 3"s on my 2 Borsalino Verdi's, but now I am beginning to think they look a little too broad and may be breaking out the smaller brims.

Wearing a fedora in Buffalo is somewhat daring enough; I don't want to look foolish in a hat that is over the top. By the way, I really don't like stingy brims. A local hatter - Gary White -- told me that the stingy brims were originally, when popular in the fifties/sixties, an attempt to salvage old hats that had been shopworn, etc., by cutting off the damaged portion of the brims.

Comments/thoughts?

Big_e

Practically Family
Fedora Lounge member J B posted this chart awhile back. http://www.millerhats.com/hatcare_index/hatfaces.html and it's been posted before. You can start by determining which best depicts the shape of your head and which brim size goes best. This is a good start.
Usually (not always) a shorter person goes better with a short brim while taller people can carry out larger brims better.
I say this at my own risk as there is nothing stopping a short person from wearing a hat with a wide brim if he wants to. This topic has been the subject of a few jihads around here.
I say, decide if you're gonna wear a hat and wear it. It's a matter of taste. I, for instance, love stingys but will wear a wide brim if it suits my fancy that day.
Ernest

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Like Big_e said chec out the chart first. I would also add that it'll depend on a couple of factors. Not only your facial proportions but your body proportions. Mix that in with how you normally dress each day and your personal tastes & preferences. But the chart is a good place to start. Also, be sure to check yourself out in a full length mirror before you head out the door. If it doesn't look right to you change your hat until it does. 2" is getting down there & I know on me if I don't dress just right that width just won't work on me. 3" is another extreme that can be tempered by broad lapels or shoulder but if you think it is a bit much have a hatter shave 1/8 of an inch off. You'll be surprised at how much of a difference that will make. I know it doesn't sound like much but it does make a difference.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents, for what it is worth. Hope it helps.

Cheers!

Dan

propp

New in Town
interjake said:
I'm a relatively new member to this great website. I currently own a few fedoras - Stetson, Borsalino & some straws. I'm interested in anyone's thoughts, ideas and/or opinion on what folks think a suitable brim width would be for today's fashion era. My hats range from 2" to 3.5"s. The last few years, I've leaned towards 3"s on my 2 Borsalino Verdi's, but now I am beginning to think they look a little too broad and may be breaking out the smaller brims.

Wearing a fedora in Buffalo is somewhat daring enough; I don't want to look foolish in a hat that is over the top. By the way, I really don't like stingy brims. A local hatter - Gary White -- told me that the stingy brims were originally, when popular in the fifties/sixties, an attempt to salvage old hats that had been shopworn, etc., by cutting off the damaged portion of the brims.

Comments/thoughts?

Presently, my collection includes straws only...(2 knockabout cuenca's, a Bailey's, a Borsalino, and 2 montecristis) except for a Tilley's(old). None of the straws have a brim width wider than about 2 3/4", and that's the way I like 'em.
I have plans to re-block the widest brim monte to a different style(a plantation), with the roll making it look narrower overall on my head. My Borsalino has a width just about 2 1/4"(see profile pic) and I like it a lot...somewhere around 2 1/4- 2 1/2" does me just fine.
Wife tells me when I try on wider brims they still look good, but I guess It's a matter of my own preference...for years I've worn summer straws with widths rarely over 2 1/2.
I actually like the stingy-brims/skinny brims, though I'd probably never wear anything under 2" myself. Personal preference combined with a self-conciousness that I'd be chasing a style too-young for my age group. But they good on the youngsters and(IMO) are certainly a step up from baseball caps. And I've seen some really nice ones at the links provided in another thread(hat stores) as well as in my own travels about this summer.

propp

New in Town
Big_e said:
Fedora Lounge member J B posted this chart awhile back. http://www.millerhats.com/hatcare_index/hatfaces.html and it's been posted before. You can start by determining which best depicts the shape of your head and which brim size goes best. This is a good start.
Usually (not always) a shorter person goes better with a short brim while taller people can carry out larger brims better.
I say this at my own risk as there is nothing stopping a short person from wearing a hat with a wide brim if he wants to. This topic has been the subject of a few jihads around here.
I say, decide if you're gonna wear a hat and wear it. It's a matter of taste. I, for instance, love stingys but will wear a wide brim if it suits my fancy that day.
Ernest

Good advice. Looking at the chart, I'd consider myself a #6(top heavy face, big forehead). And despite the fact I want the hat to look nice, I don't want it to overshadow completely, the casualness and comfort of dress(too bold a hat). Much like too-bold a tie would not complement a casual blazer or sportscoat...

propp

New in Town
interjake said:
Many thanks to all for the thoughts, advice and suggestions. All very helpful!

Oh yeah! This group is a wonderful resource...beyond wonderful actually; divine! I'm still reading deep threads which have already answered so many questions. And I'm glad to see I'm not the only newbie:)
I know I'll have questions, but it's comforting to see there's such a knowledge base here of so many willing to be helpful...

Dewhurst

Practically Family
Welcome, welcome!

If you feel that some of your widest brims are a bit too wide then wear some hats with a shorter brim. Sounds obvious, but a big part of the hat game is knowing and obeying your convictions as to what looks good on you. In the end, that is what matters most.

Likewise, if you dislike stingy brims, shoot higher. Sounds like you may need to avoid the extremes: the overly wide brims and the majorly short brims. Try out the 2 1/8 - 2 5/8 range that most of us prefer to sit in and see what you think?

Follow your gut, go with what makes you feel good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe