Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

John Galt

Vendor
John, is looks like the stretcher in the first photo is electric, is it ? what looks like a wire hanging down makes me ask.

Oliver,

I believe it is, but that is also based on the photo, and there was only one. It may be cut, I suppose. I'll let you know when it arrives. I don't even know the brand yet.

DOGMAN

One Too Many
Here is the stretcher I found. URL=http://s598.photobucket.com/user/gokutdog/media/2013-2014051_zps2c824ffe.jpg.html]
2013-2014051_zps2c824ffe.jpg
[/URL]

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Looks like it takes an old 2 pin waffle iron cord. Best not to use it heated.

+1 Electric equipment from that era is made to very different standards. A solid grounding (three wires) is a must - and an internal re-wiring will most often be a reasonable solution ... should you want to use it switched on

John Galt

Vendor
You got a great deal too Dogman. I agree Alan & Olė, which is why I didn't really care if it was electrified (although I did see the cord).

John Galt

Vendor
+1 Electric equipment from that era is made to very different standards. A solid grounding (three wires) is a must - and an internal re-wiring will most often be a reasonable solution ... should you want to use it switched on

Probably a rheostat too, huh?

John Galt

Vendor
I do not, but will see if I can find one.

I finally finished my trial and got back to hatting last night. Finished a sweatband replacement for a very patient fellow lounger (thanks DW), and will probably try to finish another hat for a long suffering FL colleague tonight if I feel ambitious.

In the meantime, I'm working on a flange stand. My first attempt was a flop - I hadn't really thought out the joints well, and it didn't help that my bandsaw was out of commission.

This one will work. I'm laminating poplar and gluing it into the rough shape before I put it on the band saw & cut the final shape, which will be traced from my vintage flange stand.

It requires a gob of clamps to glue this stuff together properly, but this way I know the pieces are square & the joints will be strong. When I tried to glue & screw one of these after cutting up individual pieces traced from a vintage one, it did not go well. It was just too difficult to cut the individual pieces square enough to make the joints fit right, or to clamp it together due to the odd shape.

Note that the end pieces are upright and cross grained, so that I can screw it together for extra strength without it stripping, after I shape it on the bandsaw.

vujubyje.jpg

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I have always found it strange how no two hat size charts are the same.

That's partly due to the use of Inch-fractions - instead of decimals. A 7-1/4 head should have a circumference of 22.7765". Some manufactorers round that up to 22-3/4" and some to 23".

All in all our hat-sizing system is not a very bright convention. It would be a lot smarter to just use the head circumference - instead of the diameter of the corresponding circle. Who needs that - and for what? [huh]

John : A very nice bronze tolliker. I didn't see it in the first place, but it sure is a nice piece of work ;)

No luck so far Oliver. Your shop is the best representation I've seen so far.

There are many photos, book, films posted here. Also machine assisted felt / hat making was an upgrade (produced a superior product). Most of the major factories produced felt to finished hat. Many components (sweats, liners, ect.) were produced in house along with felt (production, dye, finish) / hat machine development. When all this comes together at the highest level a hat like this is produced (see the many other examples on here).

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/6-johann-hueckel%c2%b4s-soehne-hueckel-hutfabrik-weilheim/page__st__20#entry273

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld