Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

DOGMAN

One Too Many
I've trimmed 15 hats so far using my trimmer with the X-Acto knife.Which is basically a #11 scalpel blade and it has worked good.I think the cool thing about the scalpel is I can try different blades to see how they work.I have a #10 and #11 blade to try when the second rounding jack is done.

Mr.Astor

Banned
One of my favorite threads!!! Innovation is terrific! Like my Mother used to say "you're using your head for more than a hat rack" AH the Irish! Alway's full of wit!

John Galt

Vendor
I've been busy, but have enjoyed catching up on this thread. Here are some new photos.

Hatter's bow:

8a8ahaqe.jpg

Euro design flange stand:

e2y5agys.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
Hatters & hat scholars, what is this item called, and what was it used for specifically?

I've seen them in old ads with photos of various hatter's tools & also in collections of hatter's tools, but other than the obvious clipping function, I am at a loss...

4etyza3y.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
Hatters & hat scholars, what is this item called, and what was it used for specifically?

I've seen them in old ads with photos of various hatter's tools & also in collections of hatter's tools, but other than the obvious clipping function, I am at a loss...

It's a glove stretcher.

B

Last edited:

Mr.Astor

Banned
I agree with Buler, I saw one the other day in an antique store that had it marked as such! What is the length? 5 to 6 inches most probably it is a glove stretcher. IMHO!

John Galt

Vendor
Just won this guy in an eBay auction. The seller did not know what it was for - it was poorly listed as a scrap booking tool.

Sorry if any of you were on the losing end. If it's any consolation, you were not beat by a robot - I always log in for the last few minutes and take over the bidding myself.

sane4y6u.jpg

a6ava9ej.jpg

4yty3equ.jpg

Hatter4

One of the Regulars
John: Congratulations on your latest find, the Cummins Initial Machine.I have one, but it is a different model. Mine is called a Cummin's Junior which just means the letters are smaller. IMG_0389.JPG

John Galt

Vendor
Ah, I had seen references to that machine, but it didn't click with me that it was smaller. What size letters does yours make?

John Galt

Vendor
Here's a conversion I made today from an antique store find - a beautiful mahogany candle stick. Wish I could take credit for anything but the dowel ;-)

uryhegyv.jpg

deguhyse.jpg

ebatyzyz.jpg

y5yse2u5.jpg

evu4apes.jpg

Last edited:

Hatter4

One of the Regulars
John: My letters are 3/4" high. My machine is not yet bolted to the workbench - so the letters are a little uneven. One or two pins are missing but it still serves the purpose. InitialMachineLetters1.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
I agree with Buler, I saw one the other day in an antique store that had it marked as such! What is the length? 5 to 6 inches most probably it is a glove stretcher. IMHO!

I am sure you are both right. I don't know how long it is, because this is just a photo I grabbed. I'll try to find one of the old images with the actual device I'm thinking of. It could be that I grabbed a photo of a different device. At any rate, it was one of these or something very similar.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld