Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Great buy! If that was the one sold via British eBay, you beat me and got a great price!

Well, I'm glad - and sad - to hear that, John. Glad, that you like it - and sad that I nicked it from you. On the other hand, we're sometimes looking for the same items, so I guess this dilemma is inevitable [huh] :)

Yes, it's the one from the British EBay - and yes, it was a fair price. Not the most useful tool, but a nice little piece of collectables, though :)

Now to the brim cutter. The traditional round cutter is not that hard to make. Find some wooden battens with a groove already routed in the edge. Battens used to make simple picture frames - "square" with no fancy profiles - have a groove for the glass routed along the one edge (in one "corner", when you see a cross section af the batten). You could very well use such battens for the two rails

Hatter4

One of the Regulars
Is this a hat stretcher? I've had this for over 20 years -- there are no markings on it whatsoever but it looks like a hat stretcher--I'm sure I got it from a hat shop some time ago. Do you think maybe it is English because I can't find it in any of the American tool catalogs.
IMG_0401_zps1aeea231.jpg IMG_0402_zps1df2b724.jpg IMG_0403_zps91ba07ee.jpg

Alive'n'Amplified

Call Me a Cab
I received my new puller downer and runner downer from John Galt over the weekend!! :)

08076064.jpg

365D25D6.jpg

He did a great job on these! I am very pleased with time and quality he put in to the project. Can't wait to start using them on my upcoming renovations!! :cool:

Thanks again, John Galt!! :thumb:

John Galt

Vendor
Thank you both!

I believe I now have the recipe for these two items, so gentlemen, please PM me if you need one (or more).

I will make the puller downers in Poplar (or in other wood by special order - A&A's is vintage oak) and the runner-downers (AKA pusher-downers) in hickory or ash.

I can also make the pusher downers in custom curves to match a particular hat size because I have a pretty decent range of blocks & flanges. The default will match a 7 1/4 shape curve, and be 2 inches in width, just like the photo.

Prices have not yet been standardized, and are still negotiable. These are utilitarian items and not high art, but they are well made & quite functional, and the prices will reflect that reality.

I am still working on a spinner for A&A, and will post pics when done if it is satisfactory (if not, I will start over & get it right).

I also plan to make a foot tolliker, heart tolliker, and a duckbill tolliker, but have not yet worked those designs out, so check back from time to time.

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
john is there a name on the hat rule?

Yes, forgot that photo, RP Kenyon & Co.

e2atybaz.jpg

(Edit - Research reveals this was a Hartford hat company from 1874 to about September of 1897).

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
Won a brim cutter! Same design as above. I'm working on developing an _affordable_ rounding jack option for hatters & do it yourselfers, so this will help in that respect.

hesymy3a.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
Bump, with a hatter's iron. Offered $60 and was turned down. It didn't sell & was then put up with no reserve. Got it for $22 + shipping. Guess my $60 doesn't look so bad now, huh?

aharu8uz.jpg

7ypaby3e.jpg

9ana5a5e.jpg

Yes, it does need some sanding to remove rust, but just try to find one like this for any reasonable price - it's hard darn it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82