Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Photos of hatters tools

Hatter4

One of the Regulars
I think I figured out how to post - so here's a picture of the Cummins Initial Machine:

IMG_0389_zps27dd7d2b.jpg

This is a picture of some of my shackle irons and my steamer:

IMG_0388_zps5db79aa7.jpg

John Galt

Vendor
Can't upload or send photos of the runner downer I just finished: "too many current transactions." Anybody know what that means? A search came up empty. I'm using Tapatalk Pro.

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
OK, here it is. Hope there aren't duplicates...

eta9yjes.jpg

du7ehyja.jpg

This is the second attempt at a runner downer (AKA pusher downer), the first was a dismal failure.

"Faint hat never won fair lady."

John Galt

Vendor
Thank you! It took some time & effort to figure out a good methodology. It is made of hickory.

John Galt

Vendor
I'm pleased with the result and can make them at a fair price. Please PM me if interested.

I certainly mean no offense to the craftsmen & artisans that make very high quality goods or to those among us that may choose to buy them, but I see hatters' tools as utilitarian items that need not necessarily be of heirloom quality or command the price of high art, as long they are functional.

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
I am trying to develop the skill, methodology & tool set to create and sell a suite of affordable hatters' tools based (as much as practicable) on vintage items. The flange stand is still in progress.

I would happily trade some of these tools for a vintage brim cutter (or even the use of one for a while). It need not necessarily be a working tool. Please PM me if interested.

John Galt

Vendor
Haven't got a shackle iron yet.

Lost an auction on this interesting European make brim cutter today :-(

e3a2uneq.jpg

This is an interesting and very simple design compared to others I've seen. Shouldn't be too hard to reproduce in metal, but structural integrity might present a problem in wood.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
What an amazing thread. I have yet more appreciation for hatmakers and their craft!

Edit: haymakers might well be awesome, but I wanted to sing the praises of hatmakers.

Last edited:

John Galt

Vendor
...unless the wood was reinforced with metal. Hmmm...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

I thought of that too. My brother is a welder and we chatted last night about this design. As for wood, it might be achieved by cutting the main body from one solid piece of laminated plywood with a jigsaw, then attaching the other pieces and a thin steel or brass reinforcement layer. I would also want to add a brass bottom on a hinge like the American made models. Frankly, finding the cutting hardware would probably be the most challenging part.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82