Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Penman Raiders hat for trade?

Indiana Jones

New in Town
Hi Everyone,

I am new to The Fedora Lounge. I would like to ask does anyone have a Penman hat that is the wrong size and are willing to trade? I have a beaver felt Penman raiders fedora that was made 12/21/11. It is a size 23 1/2". I need a size 23" or 23 1/8". I loved the hat so much from the way this particular fedora crown was bashed that I did not send it back even though it was the wrong size. I was actually a little embarrassed because I had already sent the first hat back that I ordered because John Penman had got my measurement mixed up some how. Which is completely understandable because he is working on so many of them at one time. I like John and love his work. I just want you all to understand that I respect this man and what he does. He is really a great guy. I was hoping maybe someone would see this post and have a beaver Indy fedora my size {23" or 23 1/8"} to trade with me. I would also trade for an Adventurebilt fedora, but would rather trade for a Penman. John's work is unmatched by any of today's hat builders. The Penman Raiders fedora that I have is in excellent used condition. I can't get the picture to post on here, but I would be happy to e-mail pics.

Thanks,

Zane

Last edited:

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
It's never understandable when a hatmaker gets the size wrong. Get Penman to resize it to the size you ordered in the first place. That's his job.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I would say, "understandable indeed" - but you can claim, that it should not be accepted. Complete absence of human errors has never seemed plausible or understandable to me :)

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I feel like I've had it to long to request a replacement. It's in great condition, but I've had it for 2 1/2 years.

I think more than anything, John Penman puts a lot of pride into his reputation and into his work. I don't see any reason why he wouldn't want to take the hat back and make it right for you. Call him.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Welcome to the Lounge!

You should not hesitate to send your hat back for a resize. It simply is a matter of removing the sweat , liner and ribbon, and putting the hat on the block to re-set the felt. Some assembly required:D

MANY quality hats require a reblock...many times over the life of the hat. In fact, a quality hat can be "overhauled" again and again. Plus, your hat size can change due to many factors, weight gain, and so on.

If the hat is new and was shipped the wrong size...send it back immediately. The hatter wants you to be happy, and wants you to be a repeat customer. If your hat does not fit, you won't wear it. Wearing the hat
is what you paid for...and when you are complimented by others, you will gladly "advertise" the product by telling all just where you got your hat, and how much you enjoy it.

Poor fitting hats are like poor fitting shoes...they are neither worn nor useful.

bendingoak

Vendor
I'll tell you why any hat maker would get a size wrong once in a while. I'm surprised it doesn't happen more often. I have yet to find any two hats size charts with the extract same measurements or accurate measurements. it's like everyone who has a hat size chart forgot how to do math. You also have to understand that most custom hat makers can not be standing in front of the customer. Most custom hat makers have to survive via the WWW. You have to rely on the customer to use a tape measure. to use a conformer, not to use a hat size chart and to follow instructions. I'm always working on ways as to make it easy on my customers to fit themselves. I have videos on how I want my customers to have someone measure them, I send out paper crowns, leather sweatbands and a portable conformer. I will re-size or re-make a hat if something wen't wrong with the fit but only if the hat is un-atered or un-worn.

As for this hat. I have all my customers fill out a order form. I do this because the customer is less likely to get there own contact information wrong. On the form I ask for measurements. I send out either crowns or the conformer depending on how new the customer is to hats. I get conformation of that original measurements. on this hat I got conformation of 24" not 23 1/2. I did re-make the hat to 23 1/2 like instructed. The original order was placed on March 20th 2011 at 5:39 pm (PT). This is the first time I'm hearing that the hat is still too big. I was contacted 8:37 am this morning asking what my lead times for a cleaning for the hat and could I re-size it from a 23 1/2 to a 23. I asked for more information about the size. I'm awaiting his reply.

The reason Im throwing all this out there is to show what I and I must assume other hat makers have to do to get a hat to fit. I have no ill feeling towards this customer at all but if I don't know about it, I can't fix it. Also, how long is too long to ask a hat maker to fix a issue? This hat is over 3 years old. All I ask of my customers, when you receive your hat is to make sure everything is correct with your order. If not, contact me right away. I want al my customers to be happy with their purchase.

The system I have set up so far I estimate have as little as 6% where I have to re-size or re-work a hat. Considering how many hats I make, thats not bad at all but still trying to get that % down.

Zane, Please contact me so we can figure out what went wrong.

ideaguy

One Too Many
and a good lesson to ALL: we are all customers, one way or another, and in this day and age of internet
communication and global contacts, things are bound to hiccup sometime; get back to your
source, explain honestly, and simply ask for what you want again. There is no room whatsoever
for a seller of goods to not make things right-one sentence of bad treatment is a life-sentence.
Stand up for yourselves, buyers and sellers, and deal with the Golden Rule as a guide.
Can't recall anyone going wrong with that...

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
I'm a bit confused with the response. Do you guys think I should replace this 3 year old worn hat???? For free????
He paid you for a hat the fits. You sent him one that doesn't. Common sense would say that he shouldn't have to pay you twice to get one hat. Right???????

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82