Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Penman Raiders hat for trade?

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
I'm a bit confused with the response. Do you guys think I should replace this 3 year old worn hat???? For free????

There was a separate incident involving another "craftsman" which left a few of us shaking our heads. Probably why some of the responses seem confusing since I think you're unaware of it. But your response seemed to imply that you were going to care of your customer. We would certainly be interested in the outcome.

RJR

Now I'm confused:it seems that a 24" hat was ordered and delivered nearly 3 years ago.Later the buyer asked John to re-size it to 23.5"which he apparently did.Now the hat is still not correct requiring yet another re-size.
I have several of John's hats and have had no issues with them.It seems that if he's willing to re-size it one more time that ought to be more than enough.

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Seems a bit odd to me, too. Anyway, JP is a straight up guy so I have no doubt it will be sorted. I just don't understand why the customer would post on here instead of just contacting John.

bendingoak

Vendor
Blackthorn. I would agree with you if the hat isn't 3 years old. I had already made him a new hat once ( with no extra charge) and Zane made the mistake the first time. Now the hat is still too big??? When does one draw the line? I'm on the phone working with him to find out why there is a problem.

He sent me a e-mail stating it need cleaning? This is not a new hat or a un-worn hat. I told him I would clean, re-block and re-size it for only the cost of materials and shipping cost. I'm doing the labor for free. I don't feel the least obligated to do anything for free. I don't ow him or anyone for a hat that is this old. It clearly states on my site to check out you hat as soon as you get it. If anything is wrong to not alter (or wear ) the hat and contact me right away. I then will adjust, fix, replace or refund but I'm not doing that when a hat is this old. I don't think it's that unreasonable.

Last edited:

bendingoak

Vendor
Since it didn't fit when it was shipped, what is the expiration date on quality work?

Missed this one. How about taking some responsibility for contacting the hat maker in a reasonable timeframe???????

When my son was 8 years old. His mother brought home a pair of nike sneakers to him. He put them on, they were too small. he said " they don't fit, take them back." I'm sorry if I expect grown men to have the sense that a 8 year old has.

I have no ill will toward Zane. I spent a hour on the phone with him to find out why the hat does't fit. made him a offer since the hat needs to be cleaned ( meaning it was worn enough to get dirty) I would clean it, re-block and try for the 3rd. time to find his size. only charging him shipping and parts ( doing the labor for free). we will be spending time getting him hooked on Skype to see how he is wearing this hat and how he is having his head measured. That is a lot of time I'm going to be spending on a hat sold over 3 years ago that I will not make a penny on.

Last edited:

bendingoak

Vendor
Now I'm confused:it seems that a 24" hat was ordered and delivered nearly 3 years ago.Later the buyer asked John to re-size it to 23.5"which he apparently did.Now the hat is still not correct requiring yet another re-size.
I have several of John's hats and have had no issues with them.It seems that if he's willing to re-size it one more time that ought to be more than enough.

Thank you. Thats it. I made Zane a new hat at no extra charge originally.

bendingoak

Vendor
Seems a bit odd to me, too. Anyway, JP is a straight up guy so I have no doubt it will be sorted. I just don't understand why the customer would post on here instead of just contacting John.

I talked with him and he really didn't want to bother me with it. He doesn't expect me to do anything because of how much time has gone by. Look at that a reasonable person. He's a really nice young man and that why I made that offer. I love chatting with him. Heck I like talking with all my customers. I think thats the best thing i like about hat making. I unforeseen benefit of hat making. I have contact with people I normally wouldn't have.

Lotsahats

One Too Many
Since it didn't fit when it was shipped, what is the expiration date on quality work?

Agreed. As well, given that this is an open forum for anyone who swings by, I would think that the arguments and argumentative replies from vendors are not good publicity.

A

bendingoak

Vendor
Agreed. As well, given that this is an open forum for anyone who swings by, I would think that the arguments and argumentative replies from vendors are not good publicity.

A

Do anyone even reads my post. I had already re-placed his hat once with a new hat 3 years ago when he first got it. you now expect me to make yet a 3rd. hat, free of charge on a 3 year old hat?????? . After all that I'm willing to clean, re-block and re-size this hat with only the charge of shipping and what ever parts need replacing. I think I have gone way above and beyond on this. Its not being argumentative to stand up or explain. Where is the voice of reason.

BJC88

New in Town
Have to agree with John. I have been that customer that ordered the wrong size fedora. John fixed my mistake, and now I have worn that hat for nearly two years straight. I think that he is going way above and beyond on this deal. Also, I am glad for his honesty. There is too much hand holding in the world today. I love reading John's posts because, IMO, he is telling it like it is.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
In this case, I have to agree with John. When ordering a hat over the web, there's usually a phase of adjustments - especially if it's the customer's first purchase from that specific hatter. Everybody (the hatter included) should expect, that if this phase comes to a customer-caused three-year halt, it's because the job is finished.

If then - three years later - the dark brown ribbon has faded to a weak salmon color, the sweatband rots or the structure of the hat collapses, then the hatter should consider replacing poor work without questions.

If on the other hand you ordered a wrong color - a fine pounced finish, when you wanted a velour - or did any other erratic ordering, it should not be the hatter's problem. The hat in question was altered once, and John was then left in the belief that all was well. After all, three years have past - and the problem is not sloppiness with the craft, but an erratic order.

There are plenty companies (I'm not thinking of the hat industry in particular), that treat their customers like pigs. If we really want small businesses in our societies, we should save the gun-powder for those companies - and be a little fair to people, struggling to make a living in a one-man operation, making high quality handmade products, and trying to be fair to the consumer.

What John says is: "Hey, bring me the hat, and I'll fix it without charges". If the customer doesn't live around the corner, the customer of course pays the shipping. I'm still looking for the hard part to grasp :)

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
JP just committed to cleaning, re-blocking and re-sizing a hat that he already replaced once three years ago. Now knowing the history he probably didn't have to go any further than he already did after he replaced the hat. With that said, he just committed himself a third time to making sure his customer is happy. I'm going hold off making any kind of judgements either way until everything's said and done this last time around.

John Galt

Vendor
JP just committed to cleaning, re-blocking and re-sizing a hat that he already replaced once three years ago. Now knowing the history he probably didn't have to go any further than he already did after he replaced the hat. With that said, he just committed himself a third time to making sure his customer is happy.

+1

Stand up guy!

TOuten2

Familiar Face
I obviously don't know all the facts, but the detail involved with initial sizing is pretty thorough with John's hats, and if the instructions are followed, I don't understand how the hat would be that far out of size anyway. But it is what it is, and it's good to know that John is willing to go to such lengths to make it all good.

Tim

bendingoak

Vendor
A little update on this hat. 1st, I just got off from skyping with Zane. Super nice guy and I got to say hi to his wife and son. he's new to the hat world and he was wearing his hat tiled back and felt it was too loose, as if a wind would take his hat. When he pulls it down (2nd hat) to the spot measured it fits perfect. I think his hat fits him well. We might have found why the first hat didn't fit and a good lesson for all. The tape measure he used is made in chine and may be off. I have run into this problem before. There is no reason to re-size or re-make this hat. It may need a little cleaning and we will work on that. Gave Zane something to try at home. no need for him to be without his hat when he doesn't have to. If need be I will have him send the hat to me and will clean it for free for him if needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld