Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Penman Hats

I

Ian

bendingoak said:
It's a different block and specs my friend.

Does the LC has a more dimensional cut in the brim and a lower crown than the raiders?

theinterchange

One Too Many
Ian said:
Does the LC has a more dimensional cut in the brim and a lower crown than the raiders?

Still a dimensional cut, I'm not entirely sure about the crown height though. I know a bit more about the Raiders and Crystal Skull hats than either Temple of Doom or Last Crusade [LC is my least favorite of the 4, looks too commonplace for my taste]

Randy

I

Ian

theinterchange said:
Still a dimensional cut, I'm not entirely sure about the crown height though. I know a bit more about the Raiders and Crystal Skull hats than either Temple of Doom or Last Crusade [LC is my least favorite of the 4, looks too commonplace for my taste]

Randy

I know what you mean, but to me it looks a little more 'dressy' than the Raiders and not as obviously 'Indy'. Probably not for me then. ;)

theinterchange

One Too Many
Ian said:
I know what you mean, but to me it looks a little more 'dressy' than the Raiders and not as obviously 'Indy'. Probably not for me then. ;)

As a hat, I like it but not as an Indy hat... like you said, a little more dressy. I think the crown is roughly the same height, though.

Tone

A-List Customer
difference2.png

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I'm pretty sure the brim specs and crown height are the same between LC and Raiders. The LC hat typically has the "cowboy curl" on the sides, which is one of the defining features of that hat, as opposed to the other film hats. The block is straighter than the ToD hat, but not quite as straight as the Raiders hat.

Tone

A-List Customer
jlee562 said:
I'm pretty sure the brim specs and crown height are the same between LC and Raiders. The LC hat typically has the "cowboy curl" on the sides, which is one of the defining features of that hat, as opposed to the other film hats. The block is straighter than the ToD hat, but not quite as straight as the Raiders hat.

lcrusade.jpg

I

Ian

The hats seem to vary so much from scene to scene that sometimes I can't tell if one has a higher crown or wider brim that the others. I've seen CS AB hats that look like they have an enormous brim on one person and then I've seem them look rather narow and dimensional on others. I know it depends on physique, face, etc, but to me it makes it imposible to decide on one that I'd like to see on my noggin. Dimensional comparisons give me something tangible to compare to something I have rather than the illusional size that one gets just looking at people wearing them. [huh]

bendingoak

Vendor
For my size( 23 inches) I would make a Raiders hat at the open crown height 5 1/2 with a dim. cut brim of 2 7/8x 25/8. For a LC hat for myself I would use the same crown height but make the brim specs at 2 3/4 x 2 1/2 and it would be a different block shape. I hope that helps.

Now if I make a hat for anyone of a different size then the specs change.

Tone how my spelling and typing.

I

Ian

bendingoak said:
For my size( 23 inches) I would make a Raiders hat at the open crown height 5 1/2 with a dim. cut brim of 2 7/8x 25/8. For a LC hat for myself I would use the same crown height but make the brim specs at 2 3/4 x 2 1/2 and it would be a different block shape. I hope that helps.

Now if I make a hat for anyone of a different size then the specs change.

Tone how my spelling and typing.

I guess not much different for my size then (I'm a 23 1/4" according to my AB). I just didn't want an enormous brim. Looking at your 360 video, the brim would look okay on me if it was the same size. Thanks John!! :)

Tone

A-List Customer
herbertjohnson2.png

Speaking of adjusting specs...Is Peters Bros. still using these as their Raiders specs?
supertallfanheight.gif

I

Ian

bendingoak said:
If you can send a couple of photo's of you wearing a hat with the specs I can get a better idea what specs to use.

Okay, but I hope you've got a strong stomach! ;)

I

Ian

bendingoak said:
If you can send a couple of photo's of you wearing a hat with the specs I can get a better idea what specs to use.

Here's a couple that I've just taken from my phone, so they're not brilliant. This is my Akubra Fed IV, which I believe has the following - 5 7/8" Crown height, 2 1/2" to 2 3/4" brim.

DSC00018.jpg

http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx94/Ian_peers_2/DSC00019.jpg?t=1265299971

I reckon the brim could stand to be a little wider as per your specs of 2 7/8" and 2 5/8", but I'll take your advice. Ian

Tone

A-List Customer
Ian said:
Here's a couple that I've just taken from my phone, so they're not brilliant. This is my Akubra Fed IV, which I believe has the following - 5 7/8" Crown height, 2 1/2" to 2 3/4" brim.

DSC00018.jpg

http://i745.photobucket.com/albums/xx94/Ian_peers_2/DSC00019.jpg?t=1265299971

I reckon the brim could stand to be a little wider as per your specs of 2 7/8" and 2 5/8", but I'll take your advice. Ian

That is odd. The crown actually looks like a good height, but the brim is definitely LC/CS-ish on your FED IV - which isn't all that uncommon on that hat (wish they'd fix brim and crown to look good together already; it's been out for over a year). Yeah, need a custom to get it right still.

On the other side, you have a great looking LC type there.

I

Ian

Tone said:
That is odd. The crown actually looks like a good height, but the brim is definitely LC/CS-ish on your FED IV - which isn't all that uncommon on that hat (wish they'd fix brim and crown to look good together already; it's been out for over a year). Yeah, need a custom to get it right still.

On the other side, you have a great looking LC type there.

Cheers Tone! :)

It's funny that I'd never noticed the contrast between the crown height and the brim width before, but then I've never taken a photo of me wearing this hat before - Just looked in the mirror.

I guess that just backs up my decision to get John's Raiders hat rather than LC. :)

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
Ian, I think Tone is right about the LC look. You might consider defining the top front a bit and getting it just a tiny bit lower. The brim width is fine on you, but I think the Raiders brim will also work on you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe