Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Penman Hats

kiltie

Practically Family
A little way into the night on this picture ( hic...:p ), but it gives a better idea of how this hat should look.

DSCN2120.jpg

The more it's on my head, the more I like it. This picture was taken the day after Christmas after sitting in with my friend's band ( little bagpipes, a little mandolin...). The venue was a little Southtown bar where the heat had gone out, so it was about fourty-five degrees indoors in this old, creaky converted house. The hat did it's job keeping my head warm and generally distracting people from my questionable musical ability :eek: .

I like this hat enough that I'm really looking forward to Penman's forthcoming straw offering. I don't have a straw at the moment and have stained the ribbons of plenty of felts in the Texas summer. But back on this particular hat: Quality, quality, quality...I love it!

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
kiltie said:
A little way into the night on this picture ( hic...:p ), but it gives a better idea of how this hat should look.

DSCN2120.jpg

Nice lookin' lid there, Kiltie! :eusa_clap

Incidentally -- are you familiar with Davy Spillane? Uillean pipes -- so, different from yours -- but fabulous playing in a kind of new acoustic setting. Very cool...

Cheers,
JtL

I

Ian

First Penman

I've just ordered my first Penman hat. Got to wait 5 months though before he starts it, which will be agonizing but ultimately worth it :)

I thought that I’d ‘scratched the itch’ by getting an Adventurebilt…..but no. One month after wearing my Adventurbilt, the Penmans was on order. lol

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
You're going to find that this itch doesn't get scratched until you're raw and bleeding. I have over a dozen hats, most custom, and I know I'm not done yet. :eek:

John makes a very nice hat. You should be well pleased.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
It's black, rabbit, with vintage ribbon. I asked John to create a hat that was similar, but not necessarily identical, to the Dillinger "Public Enemies" hat.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
I don't know the exact color, no....I've been telling people it's like a wine colored or maroon. John referred to it as "Dark Wine" on COW once though....

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Here are some quick pics under not so optimal lighting....I hope to get some better pics soon, but the weather here has been rainy as of late....

This is the custom hat John just made for me. I asked him to create something loosely based on the Depp/Dillinger Public Enemies hat. The felt is really nice, soft, but very substantial in feel. The ribbon looks great too. I'm extremely pleased with this one.

DSC05781Medium.jpg

DSC05780Medium.jpg

DSC05783Medium.jpg

DSC05784Medium.jpg

(compared to my Akubra Fed IV for size)

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Ok, to make up for the dark pics above, I snapped two on my head today.

I can't speak highly enough of John's work. I let him decide the specs for me, and it came out beautifully! My room mate, who has been watching my hat obsession grow and grow, commented that this was the best looking hat in my collection, and I'm inclined to agree!

I

Ian

That is awesome and really suits you!!! Congrats on that hat!!! Did john bash that for you?

theinterchange

One Too Many
jlee562 said:
Ok, to make up for the dark pics above, I snapped two on my head today.

I can't speak highly enough of John's work. I let him decide the specs for me, and it came out beautifully! My room mate, who has been watching my hat obsession grow and grow, commented that this was the best looking hat in my collection, and I'm inclined to agree!

It's much better to see a hat on the owner's head to get an idea of what it really looks like. This is one of my favorite Penman's from a visual standpoint, it looks fantastic!

Randy

I

Ian

Anybody got a LC Indy hat from John? Most of the ones knocking around seem to be the Raiders. I've ordered a Raiders, but I'm wondering about the LC now. Just wanted to see the difference. Dunno if it's the same hat with a different bash or completely different block and dimensional cut.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe