Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Our own vintage town

cowboy76

Suspended
Yes, I actually do agree with you,...classy, not trashy,..that's why there were brothels. All in all, its more of a turn on to see a gorgeous woman, with a silk dress, hair all dolled up ala garbo, and so on,...THAT IS HOT!!!! yeah skin sells, and that's all nice, but less is not necessarily more in my book! Nothing like the female figure outlined in a slick dress!!! WOOF!!:essen:

LizzieMaine...."whoa,...I just wanted to take out the old stale popcorn,....I didn't know that was physically possible??.....I have to make a mental note!!"....:eek: lol

missjo

Practically Family
Buy me a own and I'll marry you! (or not, whatever sounds best lol)

Psssst dont tell anyone abou my Hausfrau fetish lol

Eliza

One of the Regulars
Not to my town!
My vintage town is a proper decent town, not a 50s hollywood fantasy!
Guess I don't belong in your town then..... however! Audrey and Grace were VERY classy Hollywood 50's ladies, let's not forget.;)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
In one era and out the next. (With apologies to Sam Levenson)

This sort of gets into one of the great divides here at the Lounge that I'm always kicking around in my own head. I remember the 50's and 60's, so to me they aren't "vintage" or "the old days". To a younger generation, of course, they are. I always have to adjust my perspective when I see a Lounger show off their 50's, or Retro, or Jetsons home, because my first reactions is "Gak! Who wants that creepy stuff!" Every generation hates the stuff that was in vogue when they were in their early youth. My parents' generation all react the same way when I show affection for 30's or 40's stuff.
I have an idea! Different neighborhoods can have different eras!
23rd Street can have stuff from 1923, 49th St, from 1949, etc. It'll wind up a rather spread out town, but what they hey.

Eliza

One of the Regulars
That sounds like a great plan!! :)

Isn't "Vintage" 50 years plus and "Retro" less than 50? Perhaps I have that all wrong.......?

Eliza

One of the Regulars
A bit :eek:fftopic:

I had it wrong....

Here is what I found on that:
Vintage items are usually regarded as things 25 to 74 years old which means they were made in the 1940s through 1970s and a lot of people can remember growing up with them. Anything newer than 25 years is generally labeled as a collectible.
I suppose anything older than 75 years is an "Antique"?

cowboy76

Suspended
Eliza said:
A bit :eek:fftopic:

I had it wrong....

Here is what I found on that:
I suppose anything older than 75 years is an "Antique"?

Well,..this is the "Golden Era" section of the board,...1930s-40s. So the discussion (from the section's title) is geared as specifically towards that time frame.

I believe that's what several are trying to express. I'm not sure, but there may be a later timeline section of the FL regarding the 50s,60s,70s? If not, I'm sure there are boards specifically geared towards other eras, especially the 60s-70s?

Also, may I ask from where you were quoting your findings/definition of "vintage"? simple curiosity.

missjo

Practically Family
We used to call ourself retro but then decided the word was too modern and could apply to all sorts of era's.
Now we call ourself Club Interbellum, community for Nostalgists.
Nostalgists being a new made up word (in my country anyway).
Nostalgists are people who put their nostalgia into practice, do something with it in stead of just daydreaming.
And Club Interbellum defines the era were most interested in.
So no retro or vintage for us, were Interbellum :D

Eliza

One of the Regulars
Also, may I ask from where you were quoting your findings/definition of "vintage"? simple curiosity.
somewhere on the net and I could not tell you where now.... :(

Well, I quite like the 30's and 40's... the 20's as well. :)

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
missjoeri said:
We used to call ourself retro but then decided the word was too modern and could apply to all sorts of era's.
Now we call ourself Club Interbellum, community for Nostalgists.
Nostalgists being a new made up word (in my country anyway).
Nostalgists are people who put their nostalgia into practice, do something with it in stead of just daydreaming.
And Club Interbellum defines the era were most interested in.
So no retro or vintage for us, were Interbellum :D

LIKE IT! I'm a Nostalgist!!! I'll live in your town Missjoeri!!!

I've always called my self a purest in all things vintage but, now I'll call my self a Nostalgist! :D

My taste spans from 1919 to 1949... I enjoy a touch of 50's culture... REAL 50's, not "Happy Days" 50's! I can't forget my roots to how I got started on this kick!

I want to live in a real town, not a "Disney Land" atmosphere with some dressed as personalities of the past... a place where everyone knows your name.... wait, that's Cheers! Oooops! lol... Ya know what I mean ;)

cowboy76

Suspended
Forgotten Man said:
My taste spans from 1919 to 1949... I enjoy a touch of 50's culture... REAL 50's, not "Happy Days" 50's!

My friend and I want to come out with poodle skirts a way to revolt against every cheesy uneducated 50's fruit that walks around thinking that every girl under the age of 30 wore poodle skirts....

Our poodle skirts will depict poodles peeing on fire hydrants, taking a crap on the neighbor's sidewalk and of course the best of them all,...humping!!!:eusa_doh:

Just think of it,...you're there at the Lead East car show in Jersy,....someone compliments you on your beatiful poodles skirt, then you hear, "...what the?...oh good Lord!!" HA!:eek:

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
cowboy76 said:
My friend and I want to come out with poodle skirts a way to revolt against every cheesy uneducated 50's fruit that walks around thinking that every girl under the age of 30 wore poodle skirts....

Our poodle skirts will depict poodles peeing on fire hydrants, taking a crap on the neighbor's sidewalk and of course the best of them all,...humping!!!:eusa_doh:

Just think of it,...you're there at the Lead East car show in Jersy,....someone compliments you on your beatiful poodles skirt, then you hear, "...what the?...oh good Lord!!" HA!:eek:

AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA..... (breath) HAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THAT WOULD BE AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!:D lol

Forgotten Man

One Too Many
OH LET US PLEASE!!!

I've been to a few "Deco Balls" down here at the Queen Mary and such and recall seeing so many women who believe that 20's is wearing as much fringe as possible with feathered headbands that you get at the WalMart costume section... oh, and hanging off of their man's arms that are togged in long black polyester zoots with the common fake felt black fedora with a white ribbon... :rolleyes: Funny thing is, the Zoot isn't only associated with the 40's, any typical guy who dresses in a costume to represent a period either it be 20's or 40's wears a zoot... and, 50's is jeans with a white T-shirt and a black leather jacket! :p

Action must be taken!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Hey! Cool! This is turning into a real discussion of what we comsider "vintage", or "retro", or "Nostalgist", or whatever. We need this!
For me there are specific icons or images, and certain cut off dates. For example 1954 is a major cut off year for me. I define early TV as pre 1954. That was the year ABC came along. ABC's great contribution was to realize that TV did NOT have to always be live for people to tune in. From then on TV was out of diapers. TV pre 1954 was Dave Garroway, and Kukla, Fran amnd Ollie, and Howdy Doody, and live drama, sitcoms and soap operas. It was TV hosts who almost all wore bow ties. Fedoras and ties were worn by every man at Ebbetts Field, watching the Brooklyn Dodgers.
1947 thru 1954 were the "Post War" years. Again, men with fedoras and ties, most movies still in black and white. Radio was still king.
1947 was also the year of "The New Look" from Paris. That particular change in women's fashion was huge, and foreshadowed the 50's. In my mind, New Look fashion, with its simple sleek styles, is a quantum leap LESS vintage than the styles that immediately preceded it.
Anything pre 1947, of course, becomes prime vintage territory. You can take that back to just about 1920.
When the "Vintage" era starts for me is right at that post World War I period.
This was the Flapper era, women's hair was cut short, as well as their skirts.
Cars, movies and radio totally revolutionized American (and European) life. The Edwardian and WW I period foreshadowed a lot of it, but it exploded right after the war.
So, to sum up, for me the "Vintage" era starts in 1919, and extends through about 1954. Now, there is a whole other segment of Loungers who love the stuff from a later era. Senator Jack loves his Bobby Daren era look, from the early 1960's. I recognize that the tie, the stingy brim fedora held their own through that period, but for me, the nostalgia has already worn off. A lot of people LOVE the era of boomerang coffee tables and Jetson furniture, i.e., prime 50's. I can appreciate that a lot, but again, it's out of my nostalgia range. And of course the kids in the Lounge think of the 80's as being a long time ago, which (gulp!) it is!
OK, this is the end of a very over lengthy essay, but it sums up where I'm coming from. I think my previous notion of neighborhoods for the different eras is a good one, and this explanation could sort of define where the boundaries could be.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe