Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Optimo was listed as PERFECT, what's this?

There was a bunch of used Optimo hats on e-Bay. I bought one on a second chance offer. The hat is listed as being "Perfect" here are some pictures of my issues.

BTW, the guy wanted to know nothing about this; he says that there was no staining in the hat when he sent it; is his comment to negative feedback left after not wanting to hear anything about this issue he says, no stain and Optimo said no stain. I could see if Optimo shipped the hat for him, then he could say such a thing. He also belittled me terribly in the buyer protection conversation between us and e-Bay.

So my question to you all is if something is listed as perfect does that exclude staining? Or does perfect mean just that PERFECT. This guy goes as far to tell me that the hat is in the condition of "off the shelve" He called me several things, a NUT, unstable, dangerous. Says I am trying to extort him..So....I open the door here for some dialogue, am I fargin nuts, crazy or what; I paid for perfect....:mad: What is perfect? Maybe he is a Lounger and can now see the stain that does not exist.

Here is the perfect liner, see the rather large stain and then the dark blue one?

So what is perfect guys.......let me know so I don't ever be a dick:rolleyes: again to a seller.

Optimo003-1.jpg

And then there is the minor issue of what might be pen ink???not 100% certain.
Optimo004.jpg

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
handlebar bart said:
A $500-550 hat for $200. I'd say even with some minor stains that is a heck of a deal.
:arated:
looks like about one pass over with a hat sponge should be able to take care of that pinpoint on the felt.

Thanks I'll give that a try

I'll give that a try. I'm going to see if I can clean the liner as well. I had real good luck with a foul Stetson liner the other day using Shout Advanced Gel Stain remover. I'm just hung up on the word perfect.

Dinerman said:
looks like about one pass over with a hat sponge should be able to take care of that pinpoint on the felt.

randooch

I'll Lock Up
handlebar bart said:
A $500-550 hat for $200. I'd say even with some minor stains that is a heck of a deal.

I think the seller should have acknowledged the minor stains, pointing out that they are the reason for the remarkable price.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
The seller may suffer from poor vision........or he is unclear on the meaning of the word perfect..............or he's dodgy.....

Pyramid Jones

Familiar Face
Well my AB I bought off of eBay seemed alright it has some stains larger than that on the liner but not to bad but I can understand if you paid 500 dollars for it then that is one thing but if it is like 50 you are getting just that considered perfect by one person may be terrible to another person but if you paid 500 for it definitely whine thats best because for 500 you should gt perfect.

That could be...

Probably dodgy, I can't see how one can say it isn't there or does not exist.

Some other good responses as well, thanks.

Don't get me wrong fellas, I like the hat, it fits well; I dig the color, just looking to get opinions on that subjective word "perfect." ;)

So I see some guys have lee way for this discriptive word, that is good information.

Tomasso said:
The seller may suffer from poor vision........or he is unclear on the meaning of the word perfect..............or he's dodgy.....

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
Tomasso said:
Yep, I had it narrowed down to those, also. :eusa_doh:

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
Dinerman said:
:arated: What Dinerman said. Nothing's ever perfect. I my humble, pessimistic point of view.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
Interesting

This thread reminds me why I always find language interesting. While some might think the word "perfect" is a sign that something is... well, perfect... others see the word perfect and to them it is saying, "eh, don't worry if there are some imperfections."

This is why nations can never agree on anything. After all, it all depends on what the definition of "is" is. Many people simply refuse to agree on even something as simple as the definition of a word.
:rolleyes:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Quite frankly, people that put things up for sale on ebay should never be trusted 100%. This seller's reaction says to me that he lied, and was called on it, and was too proud and/or embarrassed to admit it. The price was irrelevant. Good sellers point out the flaws on the items they are selling. Perfect is perfect - no flaws. Stains are not perfect.

Crazy Legs

Familiar Face
My thoughts

I think it is all in the wording. "Perfect" to me means no flaws at all. If it was described as being almost perfect except for a few small stains or markings then that would be something else to consider. But perfect means ...perfect! Were there any pictures of either spots? If not then there was something trying to be hidden from any potential buyer.

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Agree with...

...Crazy Legs. Perfect means flawless.

Note also that Dinerman only said that the flaws could probably be cleaned up, and didn't say the pefect wording about the hat was true.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe