Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Optimo was listed as PERFECT, what's this?

HarpPlayerGene

I'll Lock Up
The seller was an idiot to use that word, especially when trafficking in used merchandise. Opened himself to nitpicking and then didn't like the 'gotcha' it when it came home to roost.

DRB

One Too Many
Perfect means:

1. "Perfection is, broadly, a state of completeness and flawlessness."
2. "Being complete of its kind and without defect or blemish"
3. "Perfect is a Polish rock music band founded in 1977"

I would leave him bad feedback on Ebay if he was argumentative and refused to take the hat back if you were not happy.

azshawn

Familiar Face
Most people assume that perfect means just that, as close to unused and brand new as possible. The few things I have sold on a public forum were not perfect, so I disclosed these imperfections and waited for a buyer. Even if you "got a deal" on the hat he should have disclosed the stain with pics. Somebody still would have purchased that hat for $200.

Perfect....

Lots of good information regarding the preception of the word "perfect".

What I have gained here is to NEVER use the word perfect, becuase we could always find some fault in something; but what I also hear, is honesty, and making mention of minor issues such as the liner stain.

BTW, I know the hat is worth 200 dollars, some of the hats went over 200 some a few bucks under...I was ready to pay 200+, that was why I got a second chance offer because I was a high bidder, next in line after a failed first sale.

I wanted to open a dialogue on perfect, and we had gotten some good feedback; the thread wasn't about a deal; one would have to be foolish to know an Optimo isn't worth 200 in VG+ used condition.

I understand Optimos are 500-600 dollar hats, that was why I bid slightly over 200. I love the hat, wore it today, all day fit is perfect.:D

Lefty said:
+3 or 4 at this point.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
As noted by a few, "perfect" means flawless - absolutely nothing at all wrong with it and everything exactly the way it should be.

Even a brand new hat made by the best hatmakers today is unlikely to be "perfect."

IMO, "perfect" is an even more worthless description than "good for its age."

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
BanjoMerlin said:
IMO, "perfect" is an even more worthless description than "good for its age."

Good for it's age is a really annoying description. Man, I'm with you there! At least with perfect you can conclude that the condition is likely to be pretty good. Good for it's age means absolutely nothing ... ;)

buler

I'll Lock Up
zetwal said:
Good for it's age is a really annoying description. Man, I'm with you there! At least with perfect you can conclude that the condition is likely to be pretty good. Good for it's age means absolutely nothing ... ;)

What about "good for her age...."

B

Boodles

A-List Customer
Perfect; Good for it's age

zetwal said:
Good for it's age means absolutely nothing ... ;)

Zet, I can understand why you say "Good for it's age" means nothing. I have, over the years, come to think of "Good for it's age" to translate to "rode hard and put up wet", if you are lucky. If not then it's closer to dragged through a keyhole...backwards. Minty is another favorite of mine.

Mr. Rod Maker, many have said that you got a good deal on the Optimo and they are almost certainly correct. Still, folks like Webster say that perfect is "being entirely without faults or defects." It is not too much to ask of someone, whether the item they are offering for sale is used or not, to refrain from using the word perfect unless it is exactly that. Someone said it already, this vendors use of the word perfect was an attempt to deceive, however small. Perfect is unambigious, perfect is the girl in Buler's avatar, or 20 year old Pappy Van Winkle.

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
In the areas of collecting that have commonly used descriptive terms, there is no allowance made for age. The age allowance comes in when determining value. Things that are rarely seen in any condition have value even when in poor condition. Things are commonly available in better condition have little value when in poor condition.

Objective descriptions are good, subjective descriptions are of little value.

Neil

A-List Customer
I dunno

I guess yes, perfect means perfect, but two hundred bucks for a $550 hat is not something I would complain about, even if I had to spend another hundred (and I would, as a matter of personal hygiene) to get Graham to clean and block it.
But that's me. I'm just saying I wouldn't complain.

pjt113

One of the Regulars
I see there's a couple more Optimos on Ebay,, I wonder if it's the same seller?

I would never use perfect in an Ebay description. Like the Amish say, "Only God Is Perfect"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe