Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Optimo south side mobsters

Neil

A-List Customer
Longhair?

Does anyone have a view on the Optimo longhairs? I have a bid in for one in navy on Ebay, although I really don't even know whether I want it.

Neil

A-List Customer
That longhair

I think I'm going to let it go. Somebody just outbid me. I just think it would look weird. Maybe I'm wrong. Anyone out there have one?

Lando

Practically Family
I have a black longhair homburg and I like it but it's very much an opinion thing as already stated. But I will say this, that longhair has such a nice sheen to it. I haven't seen a longhair in any other color, but I would be willing to try them out.
4946543643_27cdfd53b1_z.jpg

Neil

A-List Customer
Longhairs and Mitchums

Well, the guy selling the longhair got more than $200 for it, and good for him. But what I find really remarkable is the bidding on another used Optimo from another seller, a "Mitchum" in smoke color.
I gave up at $300. Given the inevitable necessity for a cleaning and blocking, that hat would have ultimately cost me $450, plus another $40 or so for all the shipping, which is just off the charts for a used hat. And one that comes without an Optimo box to boot. For a little bit more, I'd have one in my pick of color and block, brand new, which I think I will do.
The fellow who sold the longhair also has an Optimo whippet clone for sale in superlight felt with a really weird ribbon. No bids on that at all.
No doubt about it, Graham's product sure has a good reputation.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Neil said:
Well, the guy selling the longhair got more than $200 for it, and good for him. But what I find really remarkable is the bidding on another used Optimo from another seller, a "Mitchum" in smoke color.
I gave up at $300. Given the inevitable necessity for a cleaning and blocking, that hat would have ultimately cost me $450, plus another $40 or so for all the shipping, which is just off the charts for a used hat. And one that comes without an Optimo box to boot. For a little bit more, I'd have one in my pick of color and block, brand new, which I think I will do.
The fellow who sold the longhair also has an Optimo whippet clone for sale in superlight felt with a really weird ribbon. No bids on that at all.
No doubt about it, Graham's product sure has a good reputation.

A clean and block is $30.00 if its your size and a matter of choice if its clean.

Neil

A-List Customer
Huh?

I'm talking about a cleaning, a reblocking, and a new sweat band, which in my opinion sort of has to be done with a used hat. Even one in the nominally proper size often needs a slight resize, and given that the liner has been sitting on someone else's scalp, that in my view needs changing most of the time, too. I have a hard time imagining Optimo doing all that for thirty bucks. Maybe you're right, though.

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Neil said:
I'm talking about a cleaning, a reblocking, and a new sweat band, which in my opinion sort of has to be done with a used hat. Even one in the nominally proper size often needs a slight resize, and given that the liner has been sitting on someone else's scalp, that in my view needs changing most of the time, too. I have a hard time imagining Optimo doing all that for thirty bucks. Maybe you're right, though.

The new sweatband would bring it up to $50.00 plus shipping if you are not local. The liner would be cleaned- a replacement would cost another $15.00 I believe.

I agree that as you approach the cost of a custom fresh one it gets questionable.

Neil

A-List Customer
Hmmm. . .

I just checked the Optimo website, and the cost of everything I would inevitably want done would be much less than the $150 I estimate. My error.
But say the hat goes for $320 (the bid now stands at $305, with final hours to go). Add let's say $80 for shipping from the seller, to and back from Optimo, and refurbishment. That's $400. Then add on the cost of an Optimo box. . .I messaged the seller, and the hat comes without one. . .for another I think $35. We are now, conservatively, at $435.
Another hundred and fifteen dollars and you have a brand new, custom hat in box, color and size and block of choice.
This isn't to mock the current bidder or the seller. I'm just saying there is a point of diminishing returns when you're buying a used hat. But good for Graham, a small businessman, for having created such a demand for his product.

DRB

One Too Many
Optimo 1000

I have a new hat to add to the Optimo thread. The Optimo 1000 in Porcelain White. I really really really really like it. Sorry if I posted too many pictures.

Optimo1000Oct1220102.jpg

Optimo1000Oct1220101.jpg

Optimo1000Oct122010ribbon.jpg

Optimo1000Oct1220103.jpg

Optimo1000Oct1220104.jpg

Optimo1000Oct1220105.jpg

Optimo1000Oct1220106.jpg
:)

DRB

One Too Many
Ya gotta wash your hands if you want to touch this one!

I will try to get better pictures tomorrow when the sun is better, if there is sun.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe