Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oops! Did that just come out of my mouth?!

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Much of my cursing is done in German! Much more of it is done in Southern American English! We like to make one-syllable words into two-syllable words.

Yiddish is my go-to curse language. Aside from the sound of the words themselves, even the translations rock. I mean, I could describe someone (usually a politician) as a "fat ****" but that doesn't really top saying "He should live like a chandelier; hang by day and burn by night!" does it?

Viola

Elaina

One Too Many
I use beastly on occasion, usually when I'm mad. As in "You boys are behaving just beastly!" It usually draws their attention in the meetings and straightens them right up, as does "ghastly" which are interchanged, but ghastly I'm not so mad. Yet.

I say, "And How" sometimes, as well as big six (because my husband has no idea what the heck I'm talking about) and the biggest compliment I give out is "that's the bee's knees!" Swanky, scram...I sound like a bad flapper usually. I wasn't allowed growing up to use slang, and the slang I did hear frequently came from my grandfather who was stuck somewhere in some joint in his head, so I always thought he sounded just ducky. So I emulated him.

Because I spend half my time actually speaking in a non-english language, I have to be careful of the slang I DO use since some of it isn't even English, and we've pretty much banned slang from the house (as in my son saying "Whatup?" "you so loco" and my personal favorite "I gots to axe you sumtin, nizzle." In the interest of learning English, we don't allow slang here.)

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
I hear "funky" used to mean either good in an eclectic/nonstandard way, e.g. "Your banana earrings are so funky!", or that something smells bad, e.g. "That fish smells funky."

My dad says "swell" all the time; my mom has said, "That's the bee's knees" in all seriousness.

I use nifty and neat a lot, and I've been known to say dandy. I sometimes use oldish expressions, such as "a hill of beans",'in hot water', or "in a pickle."

Baggers

Practically Family
Rosie said:
I've taken to saying fidilee dee (is that how it's spelled? [huh] ) after watching Gone With the Wind one too many times. Another thing I say, though not very vintage that usually crack people up, instead of Oh Poo (the "dirty" version) I say Oh, oh Sheila, like that old song: (Oh, oh Sheila, let me love you to the morning dawns).

I believe it's "fiddle dee dee," dag nabit!

I get looks whenever I use the expression "Bob's your uncle."

I also tend to use exotic slang such as "shufti" and "just the job," from time to time and have been known to refer to someone as a "wallah" on occasion. Too much reading about the war in the Western Desert during WW2, I reckon.

Cheers!

Feraud

Bartender
I have threatened to give me son a "good shellacin' " more than once. Thank goodness he does not force the issue because I would not know how to actually shellac him. [huh]

Doh!

One Too Many
I had an uncle who used to say "son-of-a-biscuit-eater" around us kids instead of the better-known curse.

Also, when I was in grade school, I got into an argument with a priest over the word "geez." He claimed we shouldn't use it because it was blasphemous: he insisted that it was a shortened form of "Jesus." I told him that didn't enter my mind; I assumed it was a contraction of "gee whiz."

Discuss.

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
I didn´t realise until reading this that my English is particulary outdated, too. And it is for parts YOUR fault! there are not sooo many other english-speaking forums I hang around so often and I read most classics in English cause I can get them so cheap (I don´t know if you have the Penguin Classic Series overseas, but I´m a frequent buyer of those). I´ll never pass as a modern girlie when abroad, I´m afraid... lol

When I curse I like to use swedish for it cause unless Swedish friends of mine are around no one understands what I actually talk about. Plus it is funnier to scream "Faaaaaaaan" instead of "sh**". ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld