Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old - timey names!

• Thread starter Deleted member 12480
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 12480

Okay, so this is a bit of an odd request, but I need some help naming a dog. We originally liked Winnifred which I thought was nice and kind of old - fashioned, but then the parents became insistent on boots. yes, boots. (NONONONONOOOO) so, i was wondering if anyone could think of any nice, old fashioned pretty names for our new female pup?

FLUFF!.jpg

thats her :)

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Maybe not old-timey, or even American, but Im gonna suggest Mischa because that was my dog's name. He was 13 when we had to put him down last week. As you can see, there is a resemblance. This was taken shortly after we got him 13 years ago:

scan0039crop.jpg

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
Just name it something already! lol The poor pup is gonna get an identity crisis.

When I first adopted our little terrier mutt, the plan was to name her Phyllis Diller. She was 5 wks old, abused, and just plain nuts. After a week or so, I realized my son wasn't calling her Phyllis but Tillamook (because he liked the cheese). So she became Miss Tilly Mook.

A friend of mine named her cat after an elderly aunt of her's who used to give her the worst rock candy imaginable. She loved that aunt terribly and named the cat Winnie, just to remember her.

Babydoll

Call Me a Cab
LizzieMaine said:
My grandparents had a dog who looked very like your pup -- the best dog I ever knew, in fact -- and her name was "Bonnie."

We had a dog when I was growing up that was named Bonnie Lass. We called her Bonnie. It was a great name for a great dog. She lived to be 19 years old!

Puzzicato

One Too Many
She's beautiful! It probably doesn't matter what her official name is - we end up calling our animals almost anything but their names! Urchin is currently going by "Crab Cake" and "Empress Fudgesicle". Winifred is a pretty name though. I also like Myrtle.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
My aunt and uncle had a beloved dog they called Lady, who loved to smell the petunias.

Long ago, my parents had dogs named Puppy (a big airdale) and Tooter (I had thought it was Tudor after my grandmother's ancestral home).

From the movies, there was Toto from the Wizard of Oz and Asta from the Thin Man series.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Well, I once had a cat named 'Benvolio'. Then later, two cats, a boy and a girl named Sydney Reilly and Pepita Bobadilla.

I think Pepita is a smashing name for a girl puppy!

-dixon 'Ace Of Spies' cannon

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
There's a pet cemetery near my house, with most graves dating from the '20s- '60s. Take a look through my photo album- a lot of classic pet names. It may give you some ideas.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Also- Boots seems to have been a fairly common pet name at the time.

Photo from the early '20s, from Shorpy.
05120u.jpg

The same grave as it was in 2009
IMG_3554.jpg

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I personally like the name Boots. I am big fan of pets having names that are not people names.

D

Deleted member 12480

hey everyone, thanks for all the brilliant suggestions so far.

We thought it was all done and dusted, we called her winnie on the first day we got her, but then the 'rents randomly changed their mind and now we have to come to some agreement because me and my sister refuse to name her boots and they have decided against winnifred now.

Personally, i don't think its fair on the poor little baby, to have her name all switched around after a week of being 'winnie' but, they've changed their minds and it would appear its final.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld