Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Old hat that needs refreshing

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I know Art at vintagesilhouettes used to rework hats (clean, reblock, replace lining and sweatband) but does anyone know of anyone else that does it? ...... cheep like? By mail or locally in Alberta is fine. Either way is good with me. I have a Akubra Federation that needs a little TLC. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Johnny

Vermifuge

One of the Regulars
johnnycanuck said:
I know Art at vintagesilhouettes used to rework hats (clean, reblock, replace lining and sweatband) but does anyone know of anyone else that does it? ...... cheep like? By mail or locally in Alberta is fine. Either way is good with me. I have a Akubra Federation that needs a little TLC. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Johnny

I have had good luck with Optimo.

AlanC

I think Steve Delk of Adventurebilt will take on Feds for reblock, although I don't know what the wait time is. You could get his Indy block.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Ah. Old school craftsmen. I assume they'll e you a written estimate at least, no?
(I knew an instrument repair/dealer guy with a large and well done web presence who never used email except to write, "Call me." Turned out he wanted to give nothing in writing, estimates, prices or otherwise. Not necessarily a crook, but...too cagey by half. Guy probably wheeled-n-dealed in his sleep.)

Prices aren't bad either...especially if they do such good work.
Might be nice to see pix of Optimo-restored hats.

AlanC

Fletch said:
Might be nice to see pix of Optimo-restored hats.

There have been several threads posted. I think Razzman had a recent one, and someone else recently, too.

For whatever reason I still can't get that Optimo price list to open for me today.

I

Ian Dundrillon

Dear johnny canuck,
(I have posted this before) I am having a Stetson St. Regis homburg worked on by Mike the Hatter in Cleveland. Cleaning runs $27.95 U.S. including return postage for felt hats in regular colours. They offer additional restoration services as well. I haven't dealt with them before so I have no track record to share with you. I'll let you know how it goes.

Ian

mikethehatter.com

funneman

Practically Family
Optimo

I'm glad to see this thread.

I am planning on being in Chicago this fall. I would like very much to leave one or two of my hats at Optimo for various repairs and then have the hats sent back to me in Florida after they are done. This is assuming, of course, that there is no "Hat's repaired while you wait" kind of deal.

I have a Penny's Marathon that just needs the sweatband resewn where the threads have broken and a second Marathon that could use a sweatband replacement.

I have seen some threads where folks left they're hats for repair at hat shops and then found things like linings and sweatbands replaced when they really didn't need or want them to be replaced.

I have also seen a few remarks from people who left hats for repair and later found out the hats were lost.

Has anyone experience any of these types of issues with Optimo?

Is there someone in particular I should ask for?

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
As far as I know, Optimo is your best bet. I've never heard or read a bad thing about them. Steve Delk is really backed up, I don't know Art's current backlog, and all other options seem to have fallen flat (to the best of my knowledge).

I promise, if some rich Uncle dies and leaves even half of it all to me, I'll learn the ropes and start a reblock business! (I'm serious... except I don't have a rich Uncle [huh] )
NB

barrowjh

One Too Many
Here (i hope) is a link to my thread on two I sent to Optimo recently -

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=22806

To my knowledge, Optimo is the only hatter that restores to vintage 'standards' - if the liner was stitched in, then it (or its replacement liner) will be stitched in when you get it back. I suspect it is tough for anyone to restitch a fragile sweatband - and many vintage sweats are fragile, so the decision to send them in for restoration is a weighty one. There are a few on FL that will take the time to restitch through the old holes to hang on to a vintage sweatband, but not many. I want to wear the hats, not display them, so losing the sweat was not unbearable.

If someone has used Mike the Hatter, let us know - if they stitch or glue the lining. I contacted a shop in Memphis that told me they no longer stitch the sweats - they attach them back in by running a seam of glue - that would be a way to preserve a fragile vintage sweatband. I went for the new roan leather sweat stitched by Optimo instead.

Kim Steiner

New in Town
Optimo

Well, I'm glad to hear that everyone else has had good experiences with them. I sent them an OR a couple of years ago with a couple of questions/options left open in the letter of transmittal. I expected a phone call, but all I got was the hat and an invoice. I was somewhat disappointed. I think they prefer to get busy on a job rather than bother with a phone call. Kim

funneman

Practically Family
barrowjh said:
I suspect it is tough for anyone to restitch a fragile sweatband - and many vintage sweats are fragile, so the decision to send them in for restoration is a weighty one. There are a few on FL that will take the time to restitch through the old holes to hang on to a vintage sweatband, but not many. I want to wear the hats, not display them, so losing the sweat was not unbearable.

Good point.

I

Ian Dundrillon

On 9.06.07 I made a post regarding using Mike the Hatter to clean my Stetson St. Regis homburg. It was returned today and I'm pleased to
say that they did a great job. I'm going to have my Borsalinos done
next.

www.mikethehatter.com

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe