Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oh no....computer commits mutiny!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I have several work related computers that are networked for business applications, however my personal computer is committing mutiny on me.

It seems the video card in the computer is starting to burn up, the fan on it will run a lot now, and there is some of the page that instead of having color or information while looking at anything on line, will be partially all black and no information there. I can no longer use anything that demands animation or video type stuff on it. MY IT tech that I would use for maintaining computers moved away and I am totally non computer (other than the use of programs).

My computer is several years old, it is a HP Pavilion, AMD Athlon XP processor, and the video card that is in it now is the type that will use the memory of the computer to run instead of having it's own memory. I would like to obtain a new video card, something that will work with this meager PC as it is, and perhaps have some improvement on performance of the video card by way of it having some memory. I do not need anything fancy or "nuclear" powered hot rodded video card, just something to replace this one before it goes out and to upgrade it slightly.

What will work and where can I purchase it? I am certain I can do the removal of the old card and install the new one...any help would be so very much appreciated....thanks thanks thanks!:D

TM

A-List Customer
The "video card" on a desktop computer that uses the computer's memory is generally just a chip on the motherboard. You can easily install a video card. You need to look at your documentation or go to HP's website and find out what kind of slot it has for a separate video card. Then you probably have to go into the BIOS to disable the existing video card so that your computer will recognize the new card. It's not hard to do and I did it on my desktop. I installed an ATI Firepro. It's expensive, but offers a wide gamut of color and multiple cores for processing power.
Tony

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Thanks, everyone. So far due to the age of my HP I have not been able to find out much about it, however, maybe the newegg people will be able to help me. What ever is going out video/graphics card is progressively getting worse! LOL! I am sure I could install a new card or do what ever is needed labor wise, just finding what will work and obtaining it seems to be the hill to climb!

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
If you have onboard video and you're having overheating problems, you're in trouble. Your motherboard is overheating. First thing to check is whether all your fans are still functioning. Take the case off and turn on the computer to see if all your case fans and mobo fans are running. If they all are, you've got something else going on, if one or more have failed, they can be easily and cheaply replaced. If you replace them and they still don't run, parts of your mobo are shot and it's time for a new computer.

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
If you have onboard video and you're having overheating problems, you're in trouble. Your motherboard is overheating. First thing to check is whether all your fans are still functioning. Take the case off and turn on the computer to see if all your case fans and mobo fans are running. If they all are, you've got something else going on, if one or more have failed, they can be easily and cheaply replaced. If you replace them and they still don't run, parts of your mobo are shot and it's time for a new computer.

Well you may be right there...it seems the fans run when the computer is using anything animated that places a "load" on it, but as soon as I am off what would be animated, the fans turn right back off. I was hopeful to avoid having to purchase a new PC as my expenses have been extra high the past few months, moving, buying a larger home, cars, furniture.....even a additional cat....(weeeeee....lol)! has taken it's toll on my budget and with Santa peeking around the corner...oh my Lord have Mercy!

And I am stuck on things I know....my home computer is windowsXP home addition. When I have scouted just for pricing of new PC's they all seem to be coming with windows 7 on them and not much else program or applications....windows 7 or windows 8 just is something I would prefer to not have to toy with or learn. The saying can't teach an old dog any new tricks works for me! Hahahaha! What little techno whizo that I do know is just how to maintain my current computer systems from being hacked and how to run programs designed to keep them running at best performance. Aside from that, I know very little about computers.

The issue for me to even find a new or upgraded video card is just what would work in my computer without having to do anything other than direct replacement. I fear it I take what ever is in this computer now out, to just check it, and then put it right back in, it will no longer function...then I am stuck using my droid phone for being on line for personal business. And so far, I have had ZERO luck with finding anything I would want to own!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
The "video card" on a desktop computer that uses the computer's memory is generally just a chip on the motherboard. You can easily install a video card. You need to look at your documentation or go to HP's website and find out what kind of slot it has for a separate video card. Then you probably have to go into the BIOS to disable the existing video card so that your computer will recognize the new card. It's not hard to do and I did it on my desktop. I installed an ATI Firepro. It's expensive, but offers a wide gamut of color and multiple cores for processing power.
Tony

I have seen a few video cards for sale on sites with that name, not too badly priced, but...for it to work on my computer is the question I do not have the answer for. MY old neighbor was a techo geek, did all my IT work but moved away. He had a video card that could have been used in my computer but I have no idea what is was, we just never got around to having it put in!

Talbot

One Too Many
If you have integrated graphics, its most likely to be a broader issue with the motherboard. Easiest way to check is to look for the location of the display connector on the back of the PC box.

(now is a good time to back up your data, set up system restore points, etc)

If the connector is located closely with the others (same mounting plate) the graphics are being driven off the motherboard and you may have broader issues. You can still install a seperate video card, at strong risk of being good money after bad.

Motherboards have a series of connector slots for display cards etc. You can identify this area on the back of the PC box - its a series of thin removeable panels. If the display connector is in that area, it may be that a replacement display card will get you out of strife.

You will need to understand the motherboard connector type to ensure you get the correct display card.
Google the motherboard part number for specs.

Good luck & fingers crossed!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
If you have integrated graphics, its most likely to be a broader issue with the motherboard. Easiest way to check is to look for the location of the display connector on the back of the PC box.

(now is a good time to back up your data, set up system restore points, etc)

If the connector is located closely with the others (same mounting plate) the graphics are being driven off the motherboard and you may have broader issues. You can still install a seperate video card, at strong risk of being good money after bad.

Motherboards have a series of connector slots for display cards etc. You can identify this area on the back of the PC box - its a series of thin removeable panels. If the display connector is in that area, it may be that a replacement display card will get you out of strife.

You will need to understand the motherboard connector type to ensure you get the correct display card.
Google the motherboard part number for specs.

Good luck & fingers crossed!

Thank you so very much. I will have to do some Sherlock Holmes on all this now, and investigate what is there and what it looks like. I got all 12 fingers crossed.....well...ten of them at least! LOL!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
What I will do is take a few pictures of the back and maybe inside of my PC, perhaps that can help someone view it and explain my best course of action. I am not totally against buying a new PC but I just think I can do something to fix this one up a bit. If not, and I buy a new one, this one will be put to good use, target practice for the ol' 12 guage! Weeeeee Haaaw! lol!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Well, here is the best pictures of the outside of the back on my PC. The first picture shows my hand holding onto the cable from the PC to Monitor on the back of the PC, the second picture shows the very bottom of the PC on the back, and it appears there are some slots there, maybe that helps someone help me????

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Thank you, I will try to find it there but so far, HP shows nothing about my model being a HP 620n Pavilion. They have numbered pavilion that would be like 6200 or 6600 or 5898, you know 4 digit numbers but nothing stating 620n!'

Just used my number on the HP site Tony, it will not show me anything at all....as if my HP model does not exist! Beam me up, Scottie!!!!!

Last edited:

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Looks like what you have there is built-in graphics,( part of the motherboard) as some had said before. Looks like four slots are open for add on cards, the bottom one looks like an installed network card or modem.
So, with this knowledge, you now need to identify which open slot on the motherboard is for video. It's most likely a PCI Express,..uh, I know that is probably Greek to you, so I will try to put a photo up that shows the most likely type of slot.
After opening the case and determining what type and where the slot is, you then need to procure a suitable video card.
Now here is where it gets tricky,...you will have to go into the BIOS to disable the onboard video, and enable the new add on card. Press the power on button and while the machine boots up hold the DELETE key down. The machine will then boot into the BIOS where you can change various settings.
There should be a section of onboard devices, navigating through the BIOS is self explanatory, there will be rudimentary directions. All you do really is use the arrow keys to move from one section to another, enter key to select a category, arrow keys to change parameters of your selection, then enter key again to finalize the change, etc. Most BIOS systems are very similar, and will have basic directions for navigating right there onscreen.
I better stop here,...look for that pic, and let you digest this. Hope it helps somewhat.
EDIT:
The BIOS setting I just mentioned should only be done AFTER you have installed a suitable video card and it's driver software.

Last edited:

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Here is a photo of that PCI Express slot. Note the little handle at the back end.
pci-express-slot.jpg
[/IMG]

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
Wow. Thanks. So now if I look at websites that sell the PCI type video cards, will they know what I would need, or is there someone more educationally I would need to make the right purchase?

My fans run quietly when my PC is running right now. BUT if I try to load a video game, the computer starts to have the fans run so hard, sounds like it is trying to "take off" with after burners on full throttle, and the video would freeze up and have lag. I even get a lot of lag just doing things here on the Lounge and at times there is information on a page that does not fully load. At times it also will just freeze up and I have to close the browser down and load it up again. I have to always clear my cache and run defragg a few times a day, and have a few programs that clean up the memory and things such as shortcuts and bad start up selections and registery keys, clears them right up. My computer does not have a lot of over all memory, I think it is only about 2 gigs, and the use of what memory I do have for programs I have 75 percent of total memory not used and 25 percent total memory used for all the programs and pictures and PDF files.

I have been told that to install a video card with the most amount of memory the card would have, should not only speed up my computer but also free up some of my memory that is being used just being on, that it would make a great improvement. The trick is to just find one that will work with my meager system and install it properly. If what I do find is more than say $150.00 I will just opt to buy a newer PC...but I really hope something can resolve the issue and not force me to buy a newer PC. The one now was a revamped PC when it was first purchased and was told at the time the processor is really decent and told it is still a really good speed processor. Just no memory....geez...sort of like how I am getting...they say first the eyes...then the mind....lololol!

LoveMyHats2

I’ll Lock Up.
I have to say, I sure do feel so frigging Jurassic when it comes to computers and such. If I have to many more problems I will maybe just ask any 10 year old to come over and check my PC out, they would know a millions times more about it then me, aside from the fact it may look so old to them, they may ask me if I got it from George Washington or no?????? lol! They may be shocked if I told them sheepishly YES! Hahahah lol!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld