Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Obama, Cameron and Shoes.

vintage68

Practically Family
Tomasso said:
Rumor has it that it's achieved by using a blowtorch;probably a military thing.

Not a blowtorch, just a match to heat up the polish. And yes, my father learned it in the military. Don't even think about trying it if you don't know what you're going. The polish is like napalm once it's heated.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
vintage68 said:
Not a blowtorch, just a match to heat up the polish.
No, I'm referring to the technique where the flame of a blowtorch (or more commonly a lighter) is applied directly to the shoe leather.

Edward

Bartender
Tomasso said:
article-1132816-033F9CFA000005DC-244_468x286.jpg

Chris+Jackson+Getty+Images+Europe+Patches+on+HRH+Prince+Charles+shoes.jpg

Yes, weren't they in the news because he had one or other pair patched / mended, with the specific request that the repair be visible?

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
This is...

LizzieMaine said:
large_pulitzerprizeweb.jpg

Adlai Stevenson, 1952. At last we know the real reason he lost the election.

...postwar of course, but not long after. It again points out that men used to wear shoes and suits in a different way back then. Again and again I see either weak or no pants crease and shoes that are very worn, both top and bottom.

Gingerella72

A-List Customer
Well, in the comments section at the bottom of the article the author states that he was writing this satirically and hoped it would be taken as such.....

I'd actually have more respect for a political leader who was wearing perfectly serviceable shoes that had seen some wear and tear but were still well cared for. In this time of needed thrift, old shoes would impress me more than brand new shiny ones worn with an agenda. Our leaders need to lead by example, not empty words.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe