Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Not Sissy Actors but REAL MEN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
Lena_Horne said:
While Mr. Woods was certainly an impressive man, I would be remiss if I didn't mention that this little detail bothered me immensely:

"During his early time in the military, he married Barbara Woods Gary. They had three children: Kevin, Earl Jr., and Royce. In interviews he said he rarely saw these children, often claiming that these children were a "trial run" for raising his future son, Tiger."-- Wikipedia

L_H
I never did care for that guys father. Very overrated.

mikepara

Practically Family
Paddy Maine

Lt.Colonel Blair Mayne. DSO and 3 Bars. Ireland and British Lions Rugby player. Irish Universities Heavyweight Boxing Champion. Final Commanding Officer of the Original 1st Special Air Service Regiment.

When the SAS were equipped with jeeps, Mayne was in his element. Although he enjoyed shooting up German aircraft with the fast-firing Vickers "K" machineguns(stripped from obsolete aircraft), undoubtedly his favourite activity was driving a jeep through the Officer's Mess after particularly heavy drinking sessions in camp at Kabrit. However there was little time for this as the detachment spent more and more time behind enemy lines. The first mass jeep raid took place in late July 1942, with eighteen of the vehicles attacking Sidi Haneish. First they approached the airfield in single file, then fanned out into line abreast formation and opened fire to kill and confuse the enemy guard force. A flare was fired and the jeeps changed formation again, driving onto the airfield itself in columns of two with the first three forming an arrowhead around the navigator's vehicle. They opened fire again, this time with all 68 machineguns(4 on each jeep), firing at 1200 rounds per minute each, and drove around the airfield. At least forty aircraft were destroyed and one SAS man killed. By the end of the North African campaign the SAS had destroyed over 400 enemy aircraft.

Story

I'll Lock Up
You want an actor with a spine?

James Doohan (Montgomery Scott, "STAR TREK")

- went to the United Kingdom in 1940 for what became years of training. His first combat assignment was the invasion of Normandy at Juno Beach on D-Day.

Shooting two snipers along the way, Doohan led his unit to higher ground through a field of tank mines and took defensive positions for the night. Crossing between command posts at 11:30 that night, Doohan took six hits from a German machine gun: four in his leg, one in the chest, and one through his middle right finger. The chest bullet was stopped by his silver cigarette case, and the shot finger was amputated (during his later screen acting career he would generally conceal this).

Despite his wounds, Doohan remained in the military, trained as a pilot and flew an artillery observation plane, though he was once labeled the "craziest pilot in the Canadian Air Forces". He was never actually a member of the Royal Canadian Air Force, however, as he flew for one of three Air Observation Post Squadrons and remained an Army officer of the Royal Canadian Artillery.
James_DoohanSHOP.jpg

R.I.P. old man
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Doohan

Strider

One of the Regulars
Can't believe no one's mentioned this guy yet.

I submit: Gregory Peck

peck_theman.jpg

Gregory Peck was a man's man. His usual expression was a perma-scowl, like he was fixing to give you the flat side of his hand if you looked at him funny. Also, he became the chair of the American Cancer Society even though he never had cancer (unlike Christopher Reeve).

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
MudInYerEye said:

With all the temptation to stray from his wife, and they stayed together for 63 years, not just married but together, constitutes a man. In contrast to someone who uses his wife as the door mat and shows no commitment to anyone other than his own prurient wants and desires.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Lincsong said:
With all the temptation to stray from his wife, and they stayed together for 63 years, not just married but together, constitutes a man. In contrast to someone who uses his wife as the door mat and shows no commitment to anyone other than his own prurient wants and desires.

Good lord. You sir are an idealist!
I see no reason why old Perry couldn't have remained happily married/together with his wife AND pursue the occasional "strange". Perhaps he just wasn't caught, variety IS the spice of life. I also do not see why remaining faithful to his wife, or not remaining faithful to his wife would have any impact on his level of manliness (my concept of manliness being a man who will take any actions necessary to defend his convictions despite all odds) . Then again, I consider spousal monogamy as a virture to be a very, very outdated concept.
And Marc, you are the first person I have ever heard refer to John Garfield's mug as ugly. Beastly bad business.

shoe_pup

New in Town
Oliver Law

SPcopeman2.jpg

I submit one Oliver Law (pictured on the far left), an activist in the 30's against the rise of facism. In 1936, he joined the mostly communist Abraham Lincoln Brigade, a group of Americans fighting against Franco during the Spanish Civil War. Because of his courage and military expertise he rose to become commander of the batallion.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
Marc Chevalier said:
And a woman's man too. Interesting that just about all of the actors on this list were/are liked by men and desired by women.

(this is just my opinion but..) Gregory Peck is one of the most handsome men in history! the ideal of the tall, dark and handsome.
Women (for the most part) want a man in every sense of the word. They want one to look like a man and act like a man.
Mud in yer eye...that kind of mentality is NOT what women are looking for! scary....

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
MudInYerEye said:
And Marc, you are the first person I have ever heard refer to John Garfield's mug as ugly.
I should have said, "relatively speaking". Compared to most other Hollywood leading men of the time, Garfield was ugly. (That's Hollywood for you.) Compared to normal men, he was definitely better than average.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe