Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Not Sissy Actors but REAL MEN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Jean Moulin

scotrace said:
Quentin Crisp. Good God man!!!

Ok, I shall resubmit; Monsieur Jean Moulin, resisted the Nazi's and died at their hands. He knew the consequences and took the risk.

f6b0a2b3.jpg

...and obviously, a Fedora lover!

-dixon cannon

raiderrescuer

One of the Regulars
Had movies made about him...

I submit Al Capone...
capone.jpg

Nothing like personally wiping out the competition and getting "Tommy Guns" outlawed !!!

Benny Holiday

Corporal John Hurst Edmondson, VC

From my home town of Liverpool on the outer fringe of Sydney. Cpl Edmondson was awarded the Victoria Cross for gallantry in the Siege of Tobruk, and was the first Australian to be awarded a VC in WWII. The citation in the London Gazette of July 1, 1941 read:

"On the night of 13th-14th April, 1941, a party of German infantry broke through the wire defences of Tobruk, and established themselves with numerous machine guns, mortars and field pieces. Led by an officer, Cpl Edmondson and five privates carried out a bayonet charge against them under heavy fire. Although wounded in the neck and stomach, Cpl Edmondson not only killed one of the enemy, but went to the assistance of his officer, who was attacked by a German from behind while bayoneting another who had seized him about the legs. Despite his wounds, from which he later died, Cpl Edmondson succeeded in killing these two Germans also, thus undoubtedly saving his officer's life. Throughout the operation he showed outstanding resolution and leadership, and conspicuous bravery."

John Edmondson is honoured in Liverpool as an example of the bravery and sacrifice of our men in WWII. The local Returned Servicemens Club, a park and the suburb of Edmondson Park are named in his honour.

Tony in Tarzana

Here's to That Guy

There's a bit of footage I've seen many times of a Grumman F6F crashing on the deck of an aircraft carrier, sliding to the edge and nearly falling off. It bursts into flames, and a guy climbs up onto it rescue the pilot.

I nominate that guy.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Two More

Outlaw or Patriot?
Ned Kelly
Ned_kelly_day_before_execution_photograph.jpg

Whether you see him as common thief or defender of the Irish against tyranny worldwide, having the expression "he's as game as Ned Kelly!" survive you by more than a century surely makes you a REAL MAN.

George S. Patton
474px-GeorgeSPatton.jpg

Fancy revolvers, a Blood & Guts reputation, shared George Washington's ability to "cuss the paper off the wall," he struck fear into his Nazi enemies and favored taking on The Soviets at the end of WWII. He believed himself the reincarnated Hannibal, and despite serious misgivings about his mixed record on the successful employment of soldiers of color, he was A REAL MAN.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
Tony in Tarzana said:
There's a bit of footage I've seen many times of a Grumman F6F crashing on the deck of an aircraft carrier, sliding to the edge and nearly falling off. It bursts into flames, and a guy climbs up onto it rescue the pilot.

I nominate that guy.

Amen. You win.

VintageJess

One of the Regulars
Right on.

Feraud said:
I think the skirts comment and reading T.E. Lawrence gave me the giggles. Oh whatever!

A sports figure: Pat Tillman. Gave up a career in sports to join the Rangers. Killed in action. What is manly about Tillman is he gave up a career in sports (potentially huge salary) to do what he thought was the right thing.

Feraud,

Fantastic choice.

Jessica

VintageJess

One of the Regulars
And one more from the Corps...

PrettySquareGal said:

And another, John Glenn (along with all of our other pioneer and modern astronauts.)

Sen. Metzenbaum to Sen. Glenn: "How can you run for Senate when you have never held a real job?"

Sen. Glenn: "I served 23 years in the United States Marine Corps. I served through two wars. I flew 149 missions. My plane was hit by antiaircraft fire on 12 different occasions. I was in the space program. It wasn't my checkbook; it was my life on the line. It was not a nine to five job where I took time off to take the daily cash receipts to the bank.

I ask you to go with me....as I went the other day to a Veterans hospital and look at those men with their mangled bodies in the eye and tell them they didn't hold a job. You go with me to the space program and go as I have gone to the widows and orphans of Ed White, Gus Grissom and Roger Chaffee and you look those kids in the eye and tell them that their dad didn't hold a job.

You go with me on Memorial Day, coming up, and you stand in Arlington National Cemetery, where I have more friends than I'd like to remember and you watch those waving flags. You stand there, and you think about this nation, and you tell me that those people didn't have a job, I'll tell you, Howard Metzenbaum, you should be on your knees every day of your life thanking God that there were some men - SOME MEN - who held a job. And they required a dedication to purpose, a love of country and a dedication to duty that was more important than life itself. And their self sacrifice is what made this country possible..... I HAVE HELD A JOB, HOWARD! What about you?"

Feraud

Bartender
Lt. Col. John Henry Patterson
Going about his business of bridge building in East Africa in 1898, Patterson's job was interruped by the presence of two lions. These lions were particularly troublesome because of their bad eating habits. Most nights Patterson and his fellow workers were awakened by the sounds of screams. The lions were entering their camp and dragging off the workers as food.

How many men would leave the area with a "it's not my job to get killed" attitude? Not Patterson! He spent the following months hunting down the man-eaters. This was no guided sport hunt. His workers were being eaten and work on the railway was halted. His reputation as a representative of British East Africa was on the line.

Patterson eventually killed the two lions and work on the railway continued.
He sent the lions to the Field Museum in Chicago.
When a person says they are going to do a job, they do it. They do not back out when the going gets tough.

Benny Holiday

scotrace said:
Outlaw or Patriot?

Whether you see him as common thief or defender of the Irish against tyranny worldwide, having the expression "he's as game as Ned Kelly!" survive you by more than a century surely makes you a REAL MAN.

I'm with you on that one Scotrace. Whether he was a murdering thug, as some historians have postulated, or an Irishman pushed too far by social injustice as other historians and many people like myself believe, Ned Kelly was certainly a man's man. A brilliant horseman and bushman, he even went to his death with dignity, saying to the hangman, "Such is life."

Did you know that, upon hearing the death sentence pronounced, he said to the judge Sir Redmond Barry, "I'll see you where I am going." ? Twelve days later, Barry died!

Dixon Cannon

Lenny Skutnick

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenny_Skutnick

Lenny Skutnick was the passerby who jumped into the freezing potomac river after seeing the crash of Air Florida Flight 90 on January 13, 1982.

Lenny risked his own life to save the life of a dying Flight Attendant who was overcome with injuries and exhaustion. His compassion and his humility (and general lack of self-promotion) make him a Man among men.

Here's to you Lenny Skutnick! :eusa_clap

-dixon cannon

Lena_Horne

One of the Regulars
Veronica Parra said:
Teddy Roosevelt was shot in the chest and the bullet entered his lung, but he finished making a speech before seeking medical attention. Very brave and very silly.

I read that he was shot but a terribly thick manuscript (I think it was a copy of the speech he was giving but I'm not sure) he had stored in his suit jacket ended up saving his life. Was he shot more than once during the assassination attempt?

L_H

dr greg

One Too Many
tough enough

Back in the 70’s I used to work with a guy who was Polish, one day in the middle of the English winter I said how cold it was… he laughed and said, “you know what is cold, when the axe blade hits the tree and shatters: sending a sliver through the eye of the man beside you…he falls dead in the snow, and you fight for his shoes!”
Turned out he was captured by the Russians in 1939 when Stalin invaded from the east at the same time as Hitler came in from the west, and was sent to a Siberian prison camp until the Germans invaded Russia, then he was set free at the gates somewhere on the tundra, so he WALKED TO INDIA, which took a year or so, and joined the British Army there. Got torpedoed on the way back to England somewhere, and god knows what else, but made it back in time for D-Day and fought across France trying to get home…which he never did. I can’t even remember his name now, but he was a man, the like of which you don’t see often these days... That story has stuck with me, and I tell it whenever people start complaining to me about some trifling thing like photocopier politics at work or whatever.
I hope he lived long enough to go back after the wall came down

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe