Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

not for the faint of heart in classy fashion...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Certainly, if the three gents pictured had gone to the Subaru forum and asked for their opinions, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Or maybe if those three guys were on this thread shaking their own heads and saying, "Ha, that hat was pretty bad, huh?"

My point is that a group of immature homophobes decided to pick on a couple of our own and make some pretty demeaning comments. Yet, rather than stand behind our experimental friends in the face of these bores , we throw them under the bus and say things like, "Well damn, if I had two eyes and half a brain, I wouldn't be caught dead in that."

Heck, I don't know. I guess I thought there was more unity here. Let's face it - we're all nerds, misguided eccentrics, or slightly obsessed sartorialists of some kind. Some of us may be used to getting heckled, but it's not so nice to see it from that forum AND our own kind. [huh]

newturnofphrase

One of the Regulars
As a guy who also collects bowlers and top hats -styles which will likely never be mainstream again- I think this whole thing is hilarious. We have a somewhat amusing hobby that invites mild ridicule from people who don't share our interests, let's admit it and stop being so sensitive.

Guys, if you're really secure in yourselves then just take it in stride. Some of the replies to this thread are to this effect and they're dead-on. This isn't who you are, it's just something you enjoy doing with your free time and spare income. Getting upset about people poking fun at you is about as pointless as getting angry at someone for saying they don't like your favorite TV show.

Relax, take it easy, and enjoy your hobby.

Detective_Noir

One of the Regulars
well a person is of class when he/she can except and cope with others personal likes or beliefs, styles and not go on to judge them and make them feel like trash. If they ask for the opinion then they can tell them, instead of berating them 24/7

Last edited:

Detective_Noir

One of the Regulars
although i do love the hobby of finding vintage items everywhere and collecting them for apparel. i like to use them as day in day out clothing which people will compliment me on it but the majority (Can we say The Norm) of the people say that i look like a complete fool and look plain silly wearing something like a suit in todays world. what it causes is a reduction in self confidence in ones self to feel like they can pull something off when you get told that it looks stupid or horrible to wear.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
As a guy who also collects bowlers and top hats -styles which will likely never be mainstream again- I think this whole thing is hilarious. We have a somewhat amusing hobby that invites mild ridicule from people who don't share our interests, let's admit it and stop being so sensitive.

Guys, if you're really secure in yourselves then just take it in stride. Some of the replies to this thread are to this effect and they're dead-on. This isn't who you are, it's just something you enjoy doing with your free time and spare income. Getting upset about people poking fun at you is about as pointless as getting angry at someone for saying they don't like your favorite TV show.

QFT.

What I was trying to elucidate in my earlier post is that it's all relative. There are forums on the internet dedicated to any number of esoteric things that I have no interest in. The Subura Impreza is one of them. Our collective fascination with hats and/or vintage style is no more strange than their interest and passion for cars. We just happen to have different passions.

Their childish and homophobic comments speak for their own lack of immaturity, and I am not inclined to seriously entertain the comments of such people. They can think me an idiot all they want. It doesn't change my desire to wear hats.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sounds like we're doing it to our own kind over in this thread..
What's the difference?

Naw, there is a difference - although your point is well taken.

I think the difference is that while that thread is hashing over how much the gentleman's shoes are, this thread - or really, the Subarau thread - is about how "tasteless" our members look. Then there's the obvious "Us vs Them" angle, but I've hesitated to use that, because it borders infantile.

You know, I guess you could also tie this thread into your point, too. I know I was trying to do my part in clarifying that we shouldn't ostracize our own members there as well.

In any case, I think Michael (from your link) is a pretty cool guy. He's a sharp dresser, too. I wouldn't want him to suddenly join the Lounge and see a bunch of people frowning at him, you know. But consider that he's used to the questions and criticism. Some of our younger or newer members may not have that tough skin yet. [huh]

Detective_Noir

One of the Regulars
as a younger lounger i hope this didnt cause any bad gesture between our loungers... its my fault if i happened to have made a disappointment

To some degree we expect barbs from rivals such as Film Noir Buff -- that's the nature of the beast -- but when the attack comes unprovoked from a completely different quarter, i.e., The Subaru Kids, it becomes gratuitous and that's when it comes time to close ranks. Whatever you may think of FNB, it's still within the "family."

Last edited:

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
everyone has a valid perspective. I'm used to funny looks and abuse from my wife, etc., and yet I"m still into this strange hobby. But there's a difference between that and using a forum intended to center around one theme (Subaru Imprezas) to put people down for totally unrelated subjects (wearing hats). I don't mind speaking out against that behavior here, even if some may interpret that as equally hateful (it isn't). I"m not criticizing anyone who drives a Subaru. I'm sure they're wonderful vehicles.

I don't know of anyone around the TFL who starts threads like "people who drive certain cars are idiots," or "that dumb@** in the next cubicle is wearing unmatching shoes," etc.

Maybe if they wanted to start a thread for "Subaru supremacy" it might make sense. Even "my impreza is cooler than your chevy" would fit, I suppose. But "I'm an Impreza owner and I think people who wear fedoras are idiots unless they are Johnny Depp" just simply doesn't belong, and if I were a Subaru CEO and found out my Impreza club members were abusing that forum to hate on unrelated people, unrelated topics, I'd shut it down in the blink of an eye.

Last edited:
Certainly, if the three gents pictured had gone to the Subaru forum and asked for their opinions, we wouldn't be having this discussion. Or maybe if those three guys were on this thread shaking their own heads and saying, "Ha, that hat was pretty bad, huh?"

My point is that a group of immature homophobes decided to pick on a couple of our own and make some pretty demeaning comments. Yet, rather than stand behind our experimental friends in the face of these bores , we throw them under the bus and say things like, "Well damn, if I had two eyes and half a brain, I wouldn't be caught dead in that."

Heck, I don't know. I guess I thought there was more unity here. Let's face it - we're all nerds, misguided eccentrics, or slightly obsessed sartorialists of some kind. Some of us may be used to getting heckled, but it's not so nice to see it from that forum AND our own kind. [huh]

I certainly woulkd expect the same response as has been given. The Subies got what they deserved for unsolicited comments on a site other than their own. They literally stole pictures from this site and used them for ridicule purposes. It is one of the reasons you won't see many pictures of me here. If this is what this kind of infantile theft and stupidity causes then it hurts this forum because we do not get to see people sharing their items for fear of ridicule not only from other members but from outside group of dreck morons that have no interest in what we do. When they tread on our members I am not going to take it.
It isn't about caring what they think. It is about caring what they do and the consequences of it. If it diminshes this forum one iota amongst its members then it isn't right and should rightly be criticized---intensely. It is also about bad behavior and rudeness. We shouldn't have to stand by and turn the other cheek so we can get hit on that one too. I am all for treating them like money changers in the temple----get out and stay out!:mad:

You know, I guess you could also tie this thread into your point, too. I know I was trying to do my part in clarifying that we shouldn't ostracize our own members there as well.

That thread had more to do with getting rid of crassness in society than really ostracizing people. Using certain terms in polite society has gotten entirely too pervasive. You were right. No worries there. :p

Maybe if they wanted to start a thread for "Subaru supremacy" it might make sense. Even "my impreza is cooler than your chevy" would fit, I suppose. But "I'm an Impreza owner and I think people who wear fedoras are idiots unless they are Johnny Depp" just simply doesn't belong, and if I were a Subaru CEO and found out my Impreza club members were abusing that forum to hate on unrelated people, unrelated topics, I'd shut it down in the blink of an eye.

That is because you have class and good judgement. Several threads here get closed because of similar drift of purpose. Restraint is a good idea. :p

The fact that there are many "out there" that will ridicule, etc., shows it's important to be honest with people here when they ask for the collective's 2¢.
It's the end result of giving kids trophies for contributing rather than winning. It doesn't make anyone self-aware or strive to be better - everything is just "OK" so move on. It's not that way "out there" is it? If someone looks like a dope wearing something ridiculous, and they get told here nothing but compliments, inevitably they'll go out and get their emotional a**es kicked in. If you DO wear goofy things (based on contemporary societal standards) then you best be OK with the looks, remarks, and finger-pointing. And seriously, there's some pretentious peeps around. If someone new to this place were to come in without taking the time to get settled, you could point out some incredibly obnoxious behavior. There is an air of superiority with some, and maybe that's what puts others off. We need to self-reflect to see how others might interpret "us" too...

About all that a guy's fedora tells me about him for certain is that he's wearing a fedora. And if he's driving a Subaru Impreza, all that tells me for certain is that he's driving a Subaru Impreza.

I've seen plenty of postings here strongly suggesting if not outright stating that guys in ball caps are somehow juvenile or unmanly or totally devoid of anything resembling taste. People are entitled to that view, and I have no real objection to them stating it, especially in a forum such as this one, but I don't see how doing so differs so much from what those hat-trashers over at the Subaru Impreza forum say about hat wearers. Sure, it has nothing at all to do with Subaru Imprezas, but there are plenty of threads here that have little if anything to do with the "Golden Era" stuff this place is allegedly all about.

There are 7 billion people on the planet, and sometimes it seems there are nearly that many Internet forums, so finding something objectionable wouldn't require much time or effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe