Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Cheers To The Baseball Cap

MattJH

One Too Many
Tomasso said:
On many message boards the OP would be considered a troll.

Whenever there's a post with any sort of tone that isn't completely polite or nurturing, this comes up in some way, probably because most people here are so constantly nice (it's part of the Lounge's charm). Consider the very strict guidelines put forth by the Fedora Lounge maintainers. I follow them. Also, consider the fact that this is quite possibly the only place left on Earth where baseball caps aren't universally accepted as headwear (again, it's part of its charm, honestly).

It's virtually impossible to "troll" here. I'm just asking questions and pointing things out that I've noticed. I don't think anybody should be discouraged from doing the same. And as a result of my initial post, I've learned some things (again, charm) -- I had absolutely no idea there were vintage ballcaps outside of baseball. Color me further educated!

This is probably the best messageboard altogether that I've ever participated in, but you can speak your mind without being abrasive or interrupting the "feel" that MK and the Bartenders intended, you know?

EDIT: If anybody seriously thought I was trolling, my apologies - I most definitely wasn't.

Robin1

New in Town
Base ball caps are the modern fedora

It seems like everywhere I go, men these days, young and old, are wearing baseball style caps. Most are the New Era baseball caps, but many others are the ones with the curverd bill. I own about 20 of them and I have to admit that I reach for one whenever I want a hat. I used to wear one of my fedoras or another hat, but now days if you dont want to draw attention to yourself, the baseball cap is the way to go. I know that they are very trendy and not very stylish when compared to a Panama or a fedora, but they are comfortable and I like them just as much.

Last edited:
I don't know how many ball cap fans you'll find here, but I think even those who have a strong dislike for them would have to agree they've become as ubiquitous as fedoras once were. My oldest friend began wearing them when he started losing his hair about 30 years ago, and he once told me something to the effect of, "Yeah they're ugly, but they keep my scalp from getting sunburned, they're comfortable, they're cheap, and you can find one almost anywhere."

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
I don't know how many ball cap fans you'll find here . . .

Indeed, I see The Fedora Lounge is the very antithesis of the baseball cap ethic. Baseball caps are fine . . . if you're on a ball field, attending a ball game as a fan, or engaged in some very casual weekend leisure activity. I'm guilty of wearing a baseball cap myself from time to time.

But as the old saying goes: Boys wear caps, MEN wear hats.

Last edited:

RBH

Bartender
Synopsis from "Boardwalk Empire" The Emerald City (2010).

''Torrio and Al [Capone] go to Gusick's son's bar mitzvah and Al finds himself in a conversation with an elderly man who explains some of the Jewish customs (including wearing a hat in the temple). He explains the idea of the bar mitzvah. He finally tells Al he should wear a yarmulke. Al points at his newsboy hat and asks, "What's wrong with this?" The man tells him, "You are a man, yet you wear the hat of a boy." Al sits, silently stewing.''

''Al shows up to meet with Torrio, wearing a grown-up hat, and apologizes for the cigarette gag. Al tells Torrio he's ready to be responsible for his actions.''

...But as the old saying goes: Boys wear caps, MEN wear hats.
That may have been true at one time, but I don't think it's a common perspective in 2014. There is at least one thread here for devotees of flat caps, and I don't recall seeing any "boys" in there. It's simply a matter of preference, not status.

On that note, I'm not a bartender so I have absolutely no authority or control over the matter, but let's please keep this discussion civil. I know ball caps have been discussed here on The Lounge ad nauseam, and that alone might be enough to get this thread locked, but let's not make Robin1 feel unwelcome for broaching the subject. To be honest, I enjoy The Lounge but I've stopped frequenting it a number of times in the past because I grew tired of the "dressier than thou" atmosphere that sometimes presents itself here.

Last edited:

Greyryder

One of the Regulars
Up until a couple of years ago, I'd only ever worn baseball caps. I've just gotten sick of them. I've got a couple of cheap ones with velcro adjusters, I wear when I'm riding bike, since the wind won't blow them off. One of these days, I should probably get a proper cycling cap. I've still got my Old Reliable fitted cap, once black, now faded from wear, that I wear going to the mountain bike trails. It won't get hurt being left in the heat of the car, and I don't have to wear the sweat soaked one I was wearing while riding the trails, on the ride home.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
For anyone not liking baseball caps, I'd suggest to not wear one of them :)

+1 :eusa_clap

Just a thought: It's hard for me to imagine a Christian fedora-wearer, who would talk about others' ball caps in a way, he wouldn't like those "others" to talk about his fedora [huh]

A pic of me in a ball cap circa 2006. :p

Rare sighting......

photo.JPG

Honestly, I wear a baseball cap nearly every day, unless I have on a hard hat. There are many, many things I encounter in my line of work that are harder than my head. Even the baseball cap can be the difference between a painful bump and stitches.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

skydog757

A-List Customer
Honestly, I fall on both sides of this discussion. But I grew up wearing ball caps and I will always have a place for them in my wardrobe. The thing is to put some thought into how well it goes with the other items I'm wearing (color, style, etc.). One thing I do see as a major faux pas is mixing a baseball team cap with a football jersey, jacket or shirt. I mean, clean out your garage wearing whatever you like but at least take a little care when going out in public.

PHIL1959

One of the Regulars
:eusa_clap
Indeed, I see The Fedora Lounge is the very antithesis of the baseball cap ethic. Baseball caps are fine . . . if you're on a ball field, attending a ball game as a fan, or engaged in some very casual weekend leisure activity. I'm guilty of wearing a baseball cap myself from time to time.

But as the old saying goes: Boys wear caps, MEN wear hats.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe