Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NEWS BOY CAPS

charlie farley

One of the Regulars
Feraud said:
Charlie, you can wear everything from an overcoat to a short leather jacket with a cap and it looks good.

Thanks for all the replies,guys.After I asked that Q.,I remembered the scene in "Once upon a time in America" when Noodles came out of jail,he was wearing a cap made by Borsalino with a suit and it looked great.

Viper Man

Banned
I picked up this newsboy on clearance over the weekend at Macy's of all places. It is made by Country Gentleman and has a cotton liner and sweatband. It's pretty comfortable and warm but I am not thrilled about the velcro "one size fits most" aspect in back. I really dig the subtle colors of this cap, though. It's mostly black and gray but it has some orange, purple, and olive in it as well.

351806710.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
My go to cap

This is my Cappello 8-panel newsboy bought from an ebay seller. It's 50/50 wool/poly blend and has a quilted lining. Heathereed grey/grey-green herringbone. Very full cut.
3213120121_f107c87bbb.jpg

carter

I'll Lock Up
carter said:
2935766457_25c1f7f264.jpg

IC, There is a huge difference between this cap and a B!wear. I posted a picture of my B!Wear for comparison.

The Cappello is the cap ukali1066 is wearing in post #113 on this thread.

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
This is an 8 piece Hanna Gatsby I bought at JJ Hat Center.. I love it. It's my first gatsby and it's a nice change from a Fedora. I'll enjoy switching back and forth depending on my mood. Can Gatsby caps that are 100 percent wool be worn in the rain with no problem? I'm talking shrinkage, etc.
IMG_4005.jpg

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
indycop said:
I like the width of that brim! I notice on yours there is one seam centered down the middle. On my BWear there are 2, the one looks better.

That's one of the reasons I went with Hatpeople in the first place. I'm liking the Hanna's I've been seeing, too.

UWS Cowboy; As far as I know, they can get wet safely. Just avoid heat-drying and frequent soakings.

Torpedo

One Too Many
UWS Cowboy said:
This is an 8 piece Hanna Gatsby I bought at JJ Hat Center.. I love it. It's my first gatsby and it's a nice change from a Fedora. I'll enjoy switching back and forth depending on my mood. Can Gatsby caps that are 100 percent wool be worn in the rain with no problem? I'm talking shrinkage, etc.
IMG_4005.jpg

Hi,

I was looking the other day at Hanna's website and wondering how full were the 8-panels there; some of the designs look great. Is your one representative as far as dimensions are concerned? I think it is full enough for my tastes.

And, now that we are at it, does anyone know how full are Hanna's flat caps, too, or point to a photo of those, in actual wear for me to see?

Regarding water, as NBogart says. You must avoid warm or hot water, but occasional rain will not cause ill effects.

Regards!

Regards!

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
Torpedo said:
Hi,

I was looking the other day at Hanna's website and wondering how full were the 8-panels there; some of the designs look great. Is your one representative as far as dimensions are concerned? I think it is full enough for my tastes.

And, now that we are at it, does anyone know how full are Hanna's flat caps, too, or point to a photo of those, in actual wear for me to see?

Regarding water, as NBogart says. You must avoid warm or hot water, but occasional rain will not cause ill effects.

Regards!

Regards!

While I'm not sure if it's full or extra full, it's definitely at least full. Anything fuller on my face wouldn't look right, anything less full wouldn't look as good. I think this one is certainly a legitimate "full" unlike other hats that claim to be.

Feraud

Bartender
UWS Cowboy said:
Enjoy it. Aside from a vintage cap, the Hannah's are my choice in caps.

Does JJ carry a good stock of these? I was recently at Arnold Hatters and the sales rep told me they are not carrying these anymore due to lack of demand..
My caps have not suffered major shrinkage due to rain. I tend to buy them slightly oversized.

UWS Cowboy

One of the Regulars
Feraud said:
Enjoy it. Aside from a vintage cap, the Hannah's are my choice in caps.

Does JJ carry a good stock of these? I was recently at Arnold Hatters and the sales rep told me they are not carrying these anymore due to lack of demand..
My caps have not suffered major shrinkage due to rain. I tend to buy them slightly oversized.

I also prefer to get mine a bit more loose than snug. I didn't really take time to look at their selection of Hannas because I had already decided I wanted the hat as soon as I saw it on their website. I did see them in various sizes however, in 2 colors; brown and grey.

nickn5

One of the Regulars
Has anyone...

got an idea of where I might get this style and colour of newsboy cap from:

(Dennis Quaid in The Day After Tomorrow)

quaid.jpg

N. :)

John G

New in Town
Newsboys

Just dealt with Brett Stiles at B! Wear. What a great guy, great service and lovely caps too. They have usurped the two 8 panels I bought from Locks in St. James's last year. Love 'em.:eusa_clap

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Viper Man said:
I picked up this newsboy on clearance over the weekend at Macy's of all places. It is made by Country Gentleman and has a cotton liner and sweatband. It's pretty comfortable and warm but I am not thrilled about the velcro "one size fits most" aspect in back. I really dig the subtle colors of this cap, though. It's mostly black and gray but it has some orange, purple, and olive in it as well.

351806710.jpg

Very fetching cap with all the right proportions. Congrats on that score!:eusa_clap

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe