Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie itching to buy his first hat -- Somebody stop me!

Ugarte

A-List Customer
Greetings loungers.

I've been updating the wardrobe and trying to dress a bit better as I head back to school and into the workforce. I've always been a fan of guys like Bogard, E.G. Robinson, and other swells like them. While I am reluctant to move into vintage right now, I like the look and think there are style points to be had golden age inspired classics.

I'm a middle-aged guy with a full head of hair that is going salt-and-pepper pretty quickly. I've never been a "hat type", but I've always liked the idea of a snap brim fedora. Since I'm at a point in my life when some experimentation and reinvention are appropriate, I think it may be time to buy a hat.

I've trolled The Fedora Lounge since it seems to be the most authoritative source on hat fashions I can find. I particularly fancy something along these lines:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=222

Maybe something by Akubra. But I have some concerns.

I like the color of the "Bogie" above because I would like a hat that I can wear with my charcoal, my blue stripe, my navy jacket, and my black double breasteds. A brown hat or hat that is too dark a shade of gray would not seem to be as versatile.

Also, my face is not slender. I'd like to post up a pic of me taken recently in a suit, but here's a clammy me resting on the way into Carlsbad Caverns a few weeks ago instead.

http://geocities.com/mark9117/Me_bench_small.jpg

Size 48 short, thanks.

So, I'm looking for a particular style and color of hat to occasionally fit a size 7 3/8 (23", 59 metric) head. I don't want to spend too much on the first hat because, well there's always the possibility that it won't work out.

Also, I definitely have something of an oval going on with my skull -- how does one measure to determine if it's a long oval? There is also a kind of high ridge running down the center of my skull. My sense is that I need a high crown to pull off a diamond crease that l admire so much.

What do you say? Can you help a fellow out?

Thanks.

Mark

indycop

I'll Lock Up
How about the federation by Akubra? It's not terribly expensive and if you don't end up wearing it with nicer clothes it is just at home exploring caverns and other adventure!

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
indycop said:
How about the federation by Akubra? It's not terribly expensive and if you don't end up wearing it with nicer clothes it is just at home exploring caverns and other adventure!

Agreed, with the shape of your face you'll want a wider brim, something 2.5" or greater & if you are wanting this with a tall(er) crown the Federation is a great choice, IMO, a super hat at a great price. Barring that you might look at a vintage Open Road or the like (e.g.-Akubra Campdraft) Oh & welcome aboard Ugarte, this is a great place to while away the hours, drink up! :cheers1:

Mid-fogey

Practically Family
Yeah...

Miss Neecerie said:
You are asking a bunch of hat lovers to -stop- you?

lol

...no kidding. Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! lol

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Oh, yeah. You'll look cool in a really bold hat. The you'll have to get a full complement of jazzy vintage ties to complete the effect! Then a 40's tube radio, a '37 or '37 Buick, and you'll be up to speed! ;)

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
I think the Miller Hats "Chicago" in Silver Belly will do everything you need.

http://www.millerhats.com/millercd_catalog/index.html

I had one before I mistakenly set it down in a bar and it got beered on. (Gentlemen, there's a reason that the hats off indoors rule is null in a saloon.)

One of these days I'll get another. It's a fabulous hat and you won't be disappointed with it at all. In fact, I'd put it against my vintage Borsalino or Mallory any day of the week.

I really need to get another one of those.

Tom

Not-Bogart13

Call Me a Cab
The Carbon Grey that Akubra makes (on the Federation and a few others), and also their Moonstone - both good grays, not overly dark. The Carbon has a blue undertone that would work well with a Navy suit. And the Federations take well to the diamond crown, in my experience.

Rider

Familiar Face
Another newbie here. I just received my Akubra Federation in carbon gray. I couldn't be more pleased. If you can get past the fear of putting your own bash in it, I think you'll be very satisfied.

Ugarte

A-List Customer
Okay, you're friendly AND you're enablers. :)

Indycop, I've had my eye on the Federation or the Fed. Deluxe. Of course, I think the Deluxe comes in only black or brown. The Moonstone Federation does look like a hot ticket. But I don't think I'd wear a decent anything into the Caverns -- I'd pick up a cheap wool Indy because it's kind of nasty down there.

Rick, I agree about the brim. I know the stingy brim looks good on some, but especially around here where cowboy hats are regular fare, I'd much prefer a more functional sunshade. It's all about sun in these parts. I think Josh Bernstein has a good thing going.

Cooncatbob, thanks for the link, but I've just about wear my LCD out staring at the Fed. Tell me, does it come with an open crown?

Deanglen, check your mail.

Miss Neecerie, it's odd how scary a change like this can be for a fella'. Being middle aged is weird -- I see my son behaving like I did and when I open my mouth to yell at him, my father comes out. Yikes!

Mid-fogey, I can blame you for all the expensive critters it's going to take to make me look good, can't I?

Dhermann1, I think bold is the way to go. I'm even considering a modestly priced Panama next Spring. And a man can just never have enough ties apparently. Where's a good place to look for vintage ties besides the place known as OFAS? There are no thriftshops or vintage boutiques around here. I'm living in the sticks.

VetPsychWars, that Chicago model is quite nice looking. And you speak very highly of it, though I've never handled anything other than Stetson and Resistol, I understand the Barolino is creme de la creme. I only learned of Mallory in this forum recently. I don't think I've seen any for sale. Are they strictly vintage?

Not-Bogart13, I've heard nothing but praise for the Akubras, most notably the Federation. Is that a Fed in your avatar? Very nice look.

jamespowers, I understand the, umm, bias of folks around here. But I think about actually wearing a hat, as you would wear a pair of shoes, a shirt or any other piece of apparel and it seems there's no end to the hats one could wear in a lifetime. My wallet shivers at the thought.

Colby Jack, thanks for the encouragement. It look like I might be in an Akubra by Christmas. :)

Rider, did you get the Federation with an open crown? If not, does the preformed shape cause problems when you bash it yourself?

J.T.Marcus, I've been guilty of self-destructive behavior before. At least if I go, I'll look good. ;-)

deelovely, thank you for your gracious and extremely good-looking introduction. :) I hope to see more of our spectacular collection of hats in the future.

In fact, thank you all for the attention. I may slip into lurker mode for long stretches, but I'm having a wonderful time with you folks. I'm looking forward to learning a lot. Who knows, maybe I'll be able to return a little to you someday.

Mark

Jovan

Suspended
Ugarte, don't forget that some members no longer need some of their hats in Classifieds. You can look through there to see if there's anything you like or make a post of "Wanted: ..."

I too am wondering what Long Oval means.

Ugarte

A-List Customer
Jovan said:
Ugarte, don't forget that some members no longer need some of their hats in Classifieds. You can look through there to see if there's anything you like or make a post of "Wanted: ..."

Thanks neighbor. I appreciate the tip.

M.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Jovan said:

Long Oval means front to back on your head.

Wide Oval means side to side. (The oval is still front to back but it is wider.)

I have both.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
VetPsychWars said:
I had one before I mistakenly set it down in a bar and it got beered on. (Gentlemen, there's a reason that the hats off indoors rule is null in a saloon.)

One of these days I'll get another.

What about having it cleaned and reblocked????

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe