Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newbie - Don't know where to start

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome Neighbor.....

Welcome Neighbor, I'm not from Philly, but up the road a bit in the Poconos.....I won't be making the trip but I can assure you that DJ is a great guy & will steer you in the right direction. He'll give you some great advice as well. I think it's a great idea that he's meeting up with you guys to go hat hopping, if I were a bit closer and hadn't any plans, I'd probably join you. :D

Have a great time and welcome aboard. ;)

weberboy

New in Town
Thanks for all the great responses. I will keep you all updated on my quest....

Dumbjaw - I don't know when I'll be able to schedule a trip to South Street, but when I do I'll let you know. Thanks for the offer.

PanamaBob - WeberBoy is your nickname too huh? First other one I've ever run into! What is yours based on? Mine is an affinity for Weber smokers and grills.

Bolthead - Charger fan? If yes, me too!!

Hoss & da Posse

One of the Regulars
I'll take some of that advice, too...

Like Weberboy, I'm new to the hat world. Inspired by a photo of my now deceased father-in-law, I recently purchased a Bailey Tino (wool, crushable) and loved it. Hmm, thinks me...maybe I'll get another one (see how quickly the infection sets in) and I started looking online at the possibilities. Whoa! Had no idea what I had stumbled upon. Wool felt, fur felt, grades of fur felt, my head is spinning. The Sydney recommended above looks great but, also like Weberboy, I have financial constraints to consider...

Can ya'll provide a list of "Starter Hats" that are readily available for under $100 (or even under $50) that you would recommend? I have found the "Cubavera" brand (and various other permutations of the Dorfman-Pacific Co) on various auction sites, but have no idea if they are even worth the $25-$50 bucks they ask for them. I have been poking around thrift and antique shops and come across older Dobbs and Worth & Worth(?) hats, but too small. Love the felt, though...really soft and smooth...kinda like...never mind, I digress.

Anyway, thanks for any help you can offer...Hoss

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Welcome Hoss. The consensus says that Akubra, an Australian brand that used to make Stetson hats under contract, is the best brand of starter hat. Unfortunately, there aren't many (I don't know if there's more than 1) hat shops that stock it. Use the search feature and you'll find many discussions about the various models. I think that they tend to run between 85 and $130 or so. Generally, if you pay less than that for a new hat, you're not going to get anything that you'll want to keep for long. So poke around a bit, there's a ton of info. here.
:)

mineral

One of the Regulars
Hoss & da Posse said:
Can ya'll provide a list of "Starter Hats" that are readily available for under $100 (or even under $50) that you would recommend?

I would be somewhat contrarian and suggest that panama hats actually make for great starter hats. Even if you end up finding that "dress" hats aren't your style or are simply impractical, you can always find a panama useful for sun protection in the summer. As for prices, Panamabob does have some panamas in your price range.

Enjoy!

Hoss & da Posse

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the advice...I have been following the threads pertaining to Panamas w/interest. Living in Atlanta, I can carry the straw season a little longer than maybe other locales can. Again, the more I read on this forum, the more my eyes get opened up. Prior to this, my "hat world" consisted of ball caps of my favorite sports teams and some nice western hats (at least what I thought was nice at the time of purchase). Now I've learned that even straw hats (mine was purchased from the "Big Dog" store) have quality grades. Don't get me wrong, I can certainly appreciate the subtleties and do. I am going to search the boards for more information on Akubra as well as keep my eyes open for a used one in my range. Thanks again, Hoss

tortswon

Practically Family
Welcome

Howdy Hoss! Welcome aboard. I am a newbie here too. Everyone has been very generous with advice and very patient. Keep your eyes open in the merchants and classified section. I found an Akubra today for $75 delivered. Most of all, have fun! Best, Sam

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe