Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Star Trek

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
Jovan said:
Spock smiling, eh? He WAS rather emotional in his youth! lol

In The Cage: "THE WOMEN!"

I think his hair should be a bit more like this, but that's just nitpicking.
star-trek_cage_2.jpg

I like the Cage costumes. Funny that Spock's uniform wasnt blue in WhereNoManhasGoneBefore. And they still hadnt gotten his bangs to sit straight.
1845250235_80b384dc91.jpg

1846085106_ba359ec3ff.jpg

Note the old laser pistol, & the old white military belt.
And the general use of luggage that became so infrequent in the streamlined visuals of the show. I think Cyrano Jones was one of the few characters to have pockets.

Not everyone likes the ST:TMP uniforms, but in this pic you can see its color scheme really did harken back to the original pilot episodes...pre-redshirts. Note the tunics of the movie & the pilots dont have the black collars or raglan sleeves of TOS.
1778496081_0215feac46.jpg

compare
1803671429_282a95bf91.jpg

1845242131_40be7b94a5.jpg

1846083560_052ffdf4d8.jpg

Jovan

Suspended
That may be true, but the TMP uniforms still didn't look nearly as good. I too love the Cage uniforms. I can't figure out why they decided to lose the rolled look to the collar in the second pilot for many of the characters, though. Sure, it takes more work, but it looks a lot cooler to me, even if it's no more functional than a straight collar.

Those pictures reminds me: It's too bad they killed off her character, because Sally Kellerman was one gorgeous looking woman! More than that, I really liked her character. That jerk Gary Mitchell didn't deserve her. lol

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
Not sure if I mentioned this before, but Denise Crosby went to LeConte Jr. High School with me.

I wasn't even aware she had become a "movie star", but I did see her in a Playboy issue a few years after high school graduation. She went from LeConte to Hollywood High, and I had moved to the East Coast with a stopover in Latin America for about a year.

M8

ShortClara

One Too Many
Slightly OT I suppose, and I'm sorry if these have been shared. An awesome person has made Star Trek inspirational posters. Like this one:

insp_diplomacy.jpg

Several of these made me snort! :) Check them out here.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
I wish they would be a little more accurate with the CBS digital enterprise. You can see from the shots below that the NCC-1701 on the digital is running into the running lights while the decal on the original studio model is more toward the center of the saucer and not touching the running lights.

14_e_and_asteroid_new1.jpg
13_e_and_asteroid_old.jpg

13_e_and_asteroid_new1.jpg

Jovan

Suspended
That's a detail I'm not certain I pick up enough, or care about.

Looking at those shots though, I think they could afford to add a bit more colour to everything. There might be exotic ores in that asteroid that make it shimmer like that... and that may have been the intention by the original effects artists. They're doing better with the planets recently, striking a realistic yet very alien look for them. Such as the episode where the planet has green clouds.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
A quote from an open letter to JJ Abrams:

Now I realize that in the past, Star Trek has certainly not taken place on the scale that a Superman or a Lord of the Rings movie has. Past Trek films have been modestly budgeted Sci Fi affairs. However I hear your aspirations for this one are different. That your budget is one of heft, that you’re going for something massive and truly epic, the beginning of a new and exciting era of Star Trek. Our question is… did you want us to come along with you? Because it’s kind of hard to tell. I know you’ve said some things about wanting existing fans to be happy, but you always seem to follow it with a speech about bringing in new fans as well. It’s not that we don’t want 12-year-olds excited about Trek. We do, we really do. But you’re making us nervous. It’s starting to feel like you’re only saying you want us along, while secretly you’re plotting to paint the Enterprise pink and then scrape us off and dump us in the garbage.

The whole thing can be found here: http://www.cinemablend.com/new/An-Open-Letter-To-Star-Trek-Director-JJ-Abrams-6632.html

MrBern

I'll Lock Up
budget

Actually, StarTrek:TheMotionPicture's budget was pretty big.
$35million was pretty big in `79.
Alien was out the same year & that was only about $11 million
ApocalypseNow was close to 30 million, but that filmed for a long time & was devastating the producers.
Another film from `79 was Disney's TheBlack Hole. At over $20million , that was Disney's most expensive film at that time.

The Trek producers reused as many props, costumes & FX footage as possible to ameliorate the expenses of ST:TMP. So Wrath of Khan had a much lower budget, but by redesigning the costumes it doesnt seem so low budgeted. IT ALL LOOKS FRESH. And a better script surely helps.
The Kobayashi Maru sequence jsut reused all the footage of Vger destroying Klingon ships. Crafty. And since Wrath was such a success, trek producers got cheaper & cheaper to preserve the profit line.

Some say that TrekV wouldve been better had the producers not cut Shatner's funds. Or even jsut hired high status actors to play roles.

It will be interesting to see what JJ Abrams does w/ a big budget.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld