Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Old Tube Radios

Richard Warren

Practically Family
The problem with tube amplification is that modern tubes generally suffer in comparison to they way tubes used to be made. Maybe the continually incipient market for high end tube amplification will change this, maybe not.

RetroToday

A-List Customer
They're pretty cool,

I support any effort to bring back vintage styling and technology to our mostly bland modern component equipment.

Now if they could only start manufacturing vacuum tube types that are hard to find for actual vintage radios, that would be amazing. The costs for some of those old tubes is getting wayyy out of hand.

W4ASZ

Practically Family
RetroToday said:
They're pretty cool,

I support any effort to bring back vintage styling and technology to our mostly bland modern component equipment.

Now if they could only start manufacturing vacuum tube types that are hard to find for actual vintage radios, that would be amazing. The costs for some of those old tubes is getting wayyy out of hand.

I'll say ! Go find a 1L6 or 50A1 for your Zenith Transoceanic.

The horror ! The horror !

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
RetroToday said:
They're pretty cool,

AMEN!

I could use a few dozen UX-199's and perhaps some WD-11's.

A few '50's and a '10 would also be helpful!

Depending on the design of the amplifier it may be possible to get the high end tubes that are balanced in performance to produce even beter sound.

I like the idea that these are being made and the classic designs are cool.

Edward

Bartender
The most convenient thing, of course, would be for the radio to be designed to use tubes such as an EL84 or other designs commonly used in guitar amplifiers, and widely available in matched / biased sets for that purpose.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
These are interesting. I especially like the first model on the links you posted. This gives me hope though. I like that there are companies that want to make products with a little more flair than what the main market is doing.

These remind me of the Predicta televisions before, the modern TVs made to look like the Golden Era ones.

I do not have the link but a simple google search will suffice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld