Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New here, New hat..

Kent Canary

New in Town
Hi all,

Ive been having a look around the site for a bit, and thought Id join up, so hello from me.

Ive been to a vintage wedding this week, which was great, and bought a fedora for the occasion, but couldnt find much out about it.

Its grey, with Borsalino 'Victor' printed on the inside. I fouind some interesting stuff on the web about Borsalino, the factory and some of the history, but couldnt find anything listed about the 'Victor'.

Can anyone shed any light on this particular hat, ie its history / background or anything else that comes to mind really?

Anyway Im sure this hat is just the beginning of a vintage quest for me, thanks for any help!

Be seeing you..

KC

Wild Root

Gone Home
Mmmmmmm, interesting! Never heard of that model before. Well, I know the brand Borsalino and have had a few of those hats here and there but they were from the 40's and early 50's and all they said in the liner or sweat band was: Borsalino and maybe the shop it was sold at.

You know what will help a lot, a photo! If you can post a photo or two of the hat and a shot of the interior, please do so!

We'll all be happy to help you in any way we can!

=WR=

Snrbfshn

A-List Customer
Pull up a chair...

Welcome to the table. :cheers1: Pix are pretty much the ante for the game. Not only will they help folks here with your questions, we all want to see more hats.

feltfan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wild Root said:
Mmmmmmm, interesting! Never heard of that model before. Well, I know the brand Borsalino and have had a few of those hats here and there but they were from the 40's and early 50's and all they said in the liner or sweat band was: Borsalino and maybe the shop it was sold at.

I have a few Borsalinos and have seen many others.
There are people on this site who claim to have seen
quite a few.

As far as I can tell, model appearance names (independent of
a construction characteristic) in a big sans serif typeface and
quotation marks, presumably like the one you mention
came in with the late 60s or 70s. "Mimosa", "Europa",
"Angora", and maybe even "Baskin", for example.
Marketing, rather than descriptive
(though I suppose you could argue either way with "Angora").

I have a couple of Borsalinos from the 1950s marked
"Light Weight" and "Feather Weight" in a serif typeface
with those words enclosed in a rectangle.
I have what may or may not be
a missing link, a hat marked "Pocket Hat" in a smaller
sans typeface with no quotation marks or box. I would guess it
is from the 50s or earlier and is from a European source.

BTW, all of these markings are
embossed in the leather of the sweatband, in the front,
where it meets your forehead.

Kent Canary

New in Town
Hi all, and thanks for the warm welcome! Here are a few pics! My hat doesnt have Borsalino on the sewatband, which makes me think it might not be entirely genuine? I still love the design and look though.

Hat1

Hat2

Best Wishes

KC

Kent Canary

New in Town
Hi there

Thanks for the replies. The hat is not lined. The sweatband is leather, and the wording is:

MODELLO DEPOSITATO

VICTOR

DI

BORSALINO

PRODOTTO IN ITALIA

Kent Canary

New in Town
That certainly sounds logical, thank you for the reply. I really enjoy wearing it and people commented well on it at the wedding, which was pleasing!

KC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukken