Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Half Belt from Aero

Gambetto

Familiar Face
Do you mind answering a fit question for me? I recently sent my measurements to Aero and they suggested a jacket that is one size larger than I would usually wear. It was also a 30s slim fit half-belt. Does this sound wright to you?

I normally wear a 44 or 46 (XL) in most brands. The Aero Half Belt pictured is a 42.

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Do you mind answering a fit question for me? I recently sent my measurements to Aero and they suggested a jacket that is one size larger than I would usually wear. It was also a 30s slim fit half-belt. Does this sound wright to you?

My experience is that that Aero tend to err on the large side. It depends if you are slim or have a belly IMO. I usually need a 40 chest and a size 40 jacket was much too wide at the waist for me. Now I went for a custom solution where the shoulders are 40 and below the armholes it's tapered down to a 38. I asked for a tight fit, no need for layering. It fits very well, but still I can layer a very heavy sweater comfortably.

If I were you I'd send them my measurements and ask for a specific fit (i.e. tight or roomy). If you have a significant drop between chest and waist ask them to taper the jacket down below the armholes accordingly. I don't think they will do this if you don't request it. From what I gathered here they usually make a standard size first and if it doesn't fit and the customer complains then they make a new jacket. They seem to be so used to having customers with a belly that they tend to overlook it when somebody is slim or has a v-shaped torso.

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
...They seem to be so used to having customers with a belly that they tend to overlook it when somebody is slim or has a v-shaped torso.
Well, most customers will be a bit older - a youngster cannot afford a 700 - 900 € jacket - and these tend to have bellies... Judging from pictures I've seen here and the jackets I've seen in Frankfurt I would say that these heavy horsehide-jackets require a certain physique to pull them off, figuratively speaking. You don't need to be fat, no, but they simply don't look right on really skinny people. Only my 2 ct, of course.

I'm so looking forward to my LHB, tomorrow I should have it! Then I'll see the fit. It's actually the first expensive piece of clothing I ever ordered online. Will I be too fat?!?:eeek::D

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
Well, at forty I'm not exactly a youngster anymore, even if I still wear the same size as when I was eighteen. :D And I'm not skinny either, just trim.

Don Tomaso

A-List Customer
I was talking statistics, you seem to be an exception (not aberration ;-)) I gained 3" in the waist since I was eighteen. And I guess many Aero-customers are reenacting their youth as the kids are grown up, getting their hands on Harleys, having a cool jacket, the like. They are well-off now and can afford it, albeit with a belly.
BTW, is there a difference between trim and skinny?:eusa_doh::D

Edward

Bartender
Which color in a fur collar would go best with cordovan? I was thinking of black? Or perhaps dark brown?

I'd lean towards Aero's rust. Should go quite well not only with the jacket itself, but also with black or brown items you may want to wear with it.

Gambetto

Familiar Face
Since some Fedora members have asked for close ups of the hide on my latest jacket from Aero, here they are. Enjoy.

jacketB.jpg

jacketC.jpg

jacketD.jpg

jacketA.jpg

Gambetto

Familiar Face
Sorry if the images are a bit blurry. I took them with my cell phone. The last one was quite clear. It is also of my jacket, not a sample from online.

p.s. This jacket is cordovan, as I've said before. I asked for thinner than normal FQHH. It is noticeably thinner than my other FQHH from Aero, which I bought on Ebay. The back is the same, but the front, arms, collar, and cuffs are thinner than usual. This suits me perfectly. I really like the additional flexibility and pliability of this jacket over my other one.

The hide appears to change color a little depending on the light, and whether it is day or night. I find cordovan is like hazel eyes: it changes noticeably depending on which other colors it is worn with it, and also depending upon the light. Of course this "change" is an optical illusion, but it is noticeable. This jacket is a chameleon.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HyakujuJoe