Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Goodwear Prices

• Thread starter Deleted member 16736
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Frankly, the customer's interests don't necessarily support quality - even as the customers want it. The territory between custom-made and mass-market is not nearly so big as the price differential might make you think. Being there seems to be a more-than-full-time job negotiating quality vs. price, a contest where quality can't break even, never mind win.

And I don't think John wants to grow the business. It's too big now!

Last edited:

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
It matters to me :) I don't care what John thinks, I'd like to know what we Fedora Loungers that had in mine to get us a GW are going to do now. :cool:

Buy a used, GW, consider an SFA, BK, ELC or Aero I imagine...
Or, pay the money and join the queue...

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
Would some kind of a "window" work for orders? Perhaps only taking a certain amount of orders per month? But I can see how it could get tricky.

Discussed this with John last night. For a host of well supported reasons it appears that it wouldn't.

Aerojoe

Practically Family
Buy a used, GW, consider an SFA, BK, ELC or Aero I imagine...
Or, pay the money and join the queue...

Not me! the rest of forum members. The question is for those who had in mind to buy a GW. Does the price increase puts you out or you are still in?

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
It matters to me :) I don't care what John thinks, I'd like to know what we Fedora Loungers that had in mine to get us a GW are going to do now. :cool:

But ultimately you should care what John thinks. It's his business, he sets the prices, again dependent upon the product he offers and also the demand that the market offers.

As harsh as it sounds, if you can't afford a GW, you have two options:

1) Save up your pennies and buy one
2) Buy from another vendor

I can understand people's disappointment from GW's recent price rise but at the same time it's up to the individual customer to decide whether they can afford the product or not. And that is not the seller/vendor's problem.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up

I count myself lucky that I got my GW Dubow last year. In fact, I was one of the people who ordered right at the moment when John suspended accepting orders for a year, so I got mine at the old price - $950.

And understand: I am NOT one of those guys with a closet full of jackets who buys and sells regularly: I was working my up to this purchase for a decade (via US Authentic and Gibson & Barnes), and this was already twice what I have paid for any other jacket. There's no I could bring myself to pay what they cost now! Yeah, I consider myself lucky.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
To pay, or not to pay: that is the question, to quote Shakespeare (sort of).:D I doubt that John is obsessing regarding the FL and VLJ members' emotional angst over his price increase. Like any other commodity, we pay his price or look elsewhere. What's all the fuss about?[huh]

Dr H

Call Me a Cab
To pay, or not to pay: that is the question, to quote Shakespeare (sort of).:D I doubt that John is obsessing regarding the FL and VLJ members' emotional angst over his price increase. Like any other commodity, we pay his price or look elsewhere. What's all the fuss about?[huh]

Quite...

nick123

I'll Lock Up
I have always been one to respect the maker's policy. Even though, yes, it "sucks" for us customers, the way a company operates is fully the choice of the president. If this is to his or her peril (lost sales), so be it. That should be up to the producer of the goods. For example, look at Lost Worlds. I'm sure that Stuart could sanitize the ramblings on his website, but he chooses not to. Probably because he prefers not to. That is his jive, and I can appreciate it.

*Looked up the word jive...not the proper word here, but I'll leave it.

Last edited:

Exactly. I surely don't understand the prolonged fuss or continued world economic buy and sell discussion especially since the reason for JC's decision has been revealed. John tried discontinuing new orders for a year..and now has figured a better way he thinks will make things much more managable for HIM. The whole idea is to trim down the 'customer' overload. Seems some just have a hard time accepting that. Well..you might as well. That's the way it is...and for good reason.
HD

Aerojoe

Practically Family
What's so bad about talking if you are willing to buy or not? The deal is pretty harsh; $1500 and +1 year waiting time, almost 2 years for a guy that previously posted here. The point of view of customers in this case is quite interesting.

thor

Call Me a Cab
What's so bad about talking if you are willing to buy or not? The deal is pretty harsh; $1500 and +1 year waiting time, almost 2 years for a guy that previously posted here. The point of view of customers in this case is quite interesting.

Besides, talking and reading about it on this very interesting thread gives us something to do while we're waiting 12-14 months for the jacket to arrive.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I have always been one to respect the maker's policy. Even though, yes, it "sucks" for us customers, the way a company operates is fully the choice of the president. If this is to his or her peril (lost sales), so be it. That should be up to the producer of the goods. For example, look at Lost Worlds. I'm sure that Stuart could sanitize the ramblings on his website, but he chooses not to. Probably because he prefers not to. That is his jive, and I can appreciate it.

*Looked up the word jive...not the proper word here, but I'll leave it.
Jive would actually be pretty appropriate - if used in the sense that sometimes modifies the word turkey.

sal

One of the Regulars
I can understand people's disappointment from GW's recent price rise but at the same time it's up to the individual customer to decide whether they can afford the product or not. And that is not the seller/vendor's problem.

In what I am reading, most people are not upset about the price increases. They are just stating, as I did very early on, that the price increase was more than I was willing to pay for a jacket. It would not make any difference who the manufacturer was. No matter what we buy there is a price point when we say to ourselves anything above that price outweighs the intended purpose of the item

"Harsh"??
John is not raising his prices as a personal affront to anybody. There is no personal animosity involved.

He has the skill to make a product that is in high demand relative to it's supply. He isn't doing this as a hobby. He is trying to make the best living he can.

I doubt anybody here would do any different in his shoes.

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
Any thoughts on whether other "high end, custom jacket shops" will follow suit...in other words, does everyone else add a few hundred $,€,£ 's to their price to cut waiting time and attract only serious customers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLUless82