Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Aero Zip Sleeve Bootlegger

VictorShadow

One of the Regulars

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
It hasn't had as much wear as I would have liked yet, there are some picks of the back a page or two into the thread

VictorShadow

One of the Regulars
OK ProteinNerd, I'm sure you did a ton of research into the standard Bootlegger vs. the slim Bootlegger. What are the differences? I'm 6' and 70kg, but have really wide shoulders and a narrow waist. Any advice? And I'm leaning toward the black FQHH.

GraceNote13

One of the Regulars
Just wanted to chime in on the bleeding issue, I loved HD's Bootlegger so much I ordered a Cordovan FQHH. Mine did bleed a bit, I noticed one day after getting out of my car the light tan leather seat had a slight reddish cast. The bootlegger is an awesome jacket hope you get one.

VictorShadow

One of the Regulars
Just wanted to chime in on the bleeding issue, I loved HD's Bootlegger so much I ordered a Cordovan FQHH. Mine did bleed a bit, I noticed one day after getting out of my car the light tan leather seat had a slight reddish cast. The bootlegger is an awesome jacket hope you get one.

Can we see a photo of yours?

ProteinNerd

The differences between the standard and slim fit bootlegger is as far as I know is just in the waist.

I had an AL version of the bootlegger that fit well in the chest and shoulders but even fully synched was simply too big and baggy around the waist.

This one is much slimmer and will keep your diet honest! Not a lot of room even fully unsynched, fits about as tight as a cafe racer or board racer around the waist.

Edward

Bartender
I love that jacket. I'm ordering the same hide, but different jacket. Is there any bleeding issues or anything with that leather? Thx,

I bought my Cordovan Bootlegger new in 2010. I had a mall amount of bleed the first year or two - not every time, just occasionally, when wearing the jacket out and getting a bit hot in it, or humid. Typically just a little bit of colouration on a white or light coloured shirt, nothing that didn't come off in a trip through the washing machine.

OK ProteinNerd, I'm sure you did a ton of research into the standard Bootlegger vs. the slim Bootlegger. What are the differences? I'm 6' and 70kg, but have really wide shoulders and a narrow waist. Any advice? And I'm leaning toward the black FQHH.

The standard Bootlegger is, essentially, just a lancer front on a 50s Halfbelt. The 'Premium' version is, I believe, somewhat slimmer than the regular 30s Halfbelt (based, as it is, on the Premium 30s HB). I wear a 42 in my Bootlegger (I could maybe get away with a 44), as I do in a Highwayman. In the prewar designs, I typically need a 44. Speak to Holly at Aero about sizing, but I'd suggest that you should be considering whether you need to go up a size or whether (as sound likely) your chest to waist drop is such that you don't need any extra room.

VictorShadow

One of the Regulars
Thank you ProteinNerd and Edward. I spoke with Carrie at Thurston Bros and she recommended the Vicenza leather. I was leaning toward FQHH, but does anyone have any advice? Vicenza vs FQHH. Thanks!

SpeedRcrX

One Too Many
Vicenza for me all the way, I never got used to the FQHH, way too stiff and heavy.

After a few hours I would have backaches and neck aches from wearing the jacket. So I ended up selling my 1930's HB after 2 years.

I don't have this issue with the Vicenza, but it is still a tough leather with a lot of character.

pawineguy

One Too Many
Thank you ProteinNerd and Edward. I spoke with Carrie at Thurston Bros and she recommended the Vicenza leather. I was leaning toward FQHH, but does anyone have any advice? Vicenza vs FQHH. Thanks!

Vincenza is a great balance of substantial / supple / gorgeous leather. Hard to go wrong with it.

ProteinNerd

Another +1 for the Vicenza here. With all the talk of how it's not as stiff or thick as FQHH, don't get the idea that it's not a significant, thick sturdy leather. It's still MUCH more substantial than mall leather jacket but strikes a nicer balance of thickness and weight than the FQHH.

Hi There, HD. I'm looking at purchasing a Bootlegger through Thurston Bros. in Seattle. I'm thinking about ordering one in Black FQHH. I'm wondering what size you are wearing in the photos. I am 6' tall and 155lbs, wiry and lean. I really like the way your jacket looks in the photos and want a similar fit. And since it's been about four years since you posted this jacket, I'm wondering if you have photos of the jacket broken in. Could you post some for me? And do you have any photos of Aero jackets in Black FQHH? I would love to see those as well, if you have any. Thanks so much!

Hi VS
Sorry about the late response, I've been on vacation for a little over a week. I'm 6'2", 182 LBS yet with my trim shape I most always wear a size 40L...on rare occasion a 42.
My Bootlegger is a standard size 40 with 1 1/4" added to sleeves and 1 1/2" added to body length measuring out to a 26 1/4 sleeve & 26 1/2 body length. I've found these measurements are my sweet spot for practically every Aero jacket style. Keep in mind that regardless of height and weight, torso and arm length can vary with each person. Finding out how you prefer the length can be accomplished only by measuring correctly, having a jacket that meets your fitting standards already (and measuring that), working with advice from the jacket manufacturer or, like many of us, by trial and error. However, now you can get an Aero try on jacket from Insurrection/Thurston Bros. that can virtually eliminate fit problems.
I don't have any recent pics of this jacket and it's in the mid 90s here locally plus I'm doing catch up since returning from vacation, but I will post up pics ASAP. I do have pics of the FQHH in black on my Stuart that I will post right away.
For me personally, I like Aero's FQHH because it wears to a lighter base color that offers a burnished antiqued appearance rather than darkening wear areas as some other differently tanned hides tend to develope.
HD

Black FQHH...

Last edited:

wild_balls

Practically Family
HD, Of all the Aero jackets I have seen here so far, yours have the best fit in my opinion! It is not easy to find the sweet spot like you have!

Cheese Joakim

tnjyoung

A-List Customer
Brown FQHH
Alcapa Lining
2 Inside G-1 Pockets
Zip Sleeves and Chest Pocket

IMG_0583.jpg

IMG_0595.jpg

IMG_0591-1.jpg

IMG_0598.jpg

IMG_0596.jpg

HD

Love, love, LOVE it! Great job and perfect fit!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
billmacsworld